11

Can science be wrong about the brain?

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:02 pm
How can this be?

A 44 year old French patient had completely intact memory despite the discovery that his skull almost completely empty! It was full of fluid with just a few centimeters of brain tissue surrounding this empty space

http://www.viewzone.com/memorytest1.html

An empty skull and still had intact memory.... unbelievable!!

contrex

1  
Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 01:58 pm
This isn't a new thing; in the 1960s a treatment was invented for hydrocephaIic babies which meant that for the first time they could survive for more than a few days. Around 30 years ago I saw a TV programme about one of these who had grown to adulthood. It was around this time that early body scanners were available, and a scan showed that he had no more that a rind of brain 1 cm thick on the inside of his skull, and a void where the rest of the brain should be. I think he had around 10% of "normal" brain mass. The reason why this wasn't suspected was partly due to his exceptional intelligence (he had just got a advanced mathematics degree with honours).

That page's website is a "Gee-whiz" type of thing with very little scientific contents, and I don't think it is any evidence that science is "wrong" about the brain. It is just a great deal more adaptable than many people realise.

Ragman

1  
Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 03:32 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Recalling Scarecrow's speech:

dalehileman

0  
Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 04:15 pm
@Rickoshay75,
How little of ours then must we be using
Foofie

0  
Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 07:27 pm
I usually do not care for short term memories, since many try to over compensate and act like long term memories.
Rickoshay75

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:26 am
@contrex,
Maybe the brain and memory is software, like computers.
Rickoshay75

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:41 am
@Foofie,
I usually do not care for short term memories, since many try to over compensate and act like long term memories. >>

Some kind of stimulus causes us to remember things, I don't think we have any control over it-- it just happens.

Rickoshay75

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@dalehileman,
How little of ours then must we be using >>

Maybe we don't need our brains at all, maybe memory is all we need, memory of what we did, how and why is enough analyzing.
contrex

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:46 am
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:
Maybe we don't need our brains at all

Maybe we don't need our hearts or livers, or arms or legs?

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:58 am
@Rickoshay75,
Memory is not software... at least not in computers.

contrex

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

The brain is massively redundant in terms of cell numbers and has the ability to regenerate and reorganise after damage. If this was not so, we would not survive beyond early infancy.

contrex

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:09 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Rickoshay75 wrote:

Maybe the sky is a kind of plastic or wooden sheet, painted blue by an unknown method. Maybe potatoes have souls. Maybe I am the Egg Man.
mysteryman

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 05:07 pm
If you want a one word answer to your question, then YES, scientists can be wrong about the brain.
Just like they can be wrong about everything else.
Science constantly reevaluates and reforms their opinions as new facts come in.

Setanta

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 05:19 pm
@contrex,
Coo-coo cajoo . . .
Ragman

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm
@Setanta,
I am the egg man,
I am the walrus.

Foofie

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 06:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Coo-coo cajoo . . .

I was just trying to remember what came after, "I am the egg man."

neologist

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 09:41 pm
Then why do our politicians - they do have complete brains, right? Why do the come up with such vacuum headed ideas?

Is it the moronic miasma? Tell me, is there really a moronic miasma inflating all our congressional domes? I've heard of this; so don't try to fun me. Just give it to me straight. . .
Rickoshay75

1  
Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:01 am
@neologist,
Tell me, is there really a moronic miasma inflating all our congressional domes? I've heard of this; so don't try to fun me. Just give it to me straight. . . >>

Hard to tell if congress is just playing to their moronic base, or if that's what they really are, heartless megalomaniacs that believe politics are more important than people's health, jobs, and lives, the people they are supposed to be working for, whose taxes pay their over inflated salaries and perks
dalehileman

0  
Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:05 am
@Rickoshay75,
Well put Rick

But it's our fault isn't it

evelyngilbert

1  
Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:31 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Wowwww unbelievable ..!!! Human body is full of suspense. Science is very amazingly interesting and everything is possible in science.