I need help identifying this one...

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 09:32 am
Hi guys and gals... I need some help identifying these tiny cubic rods within this rock I found - They are silvery/metallic looking. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks folks. Smile https://plus.google.com/photos/101550761717770137063/albums/5886390653860106897
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 667 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 02:29 pm
@tattoomagoo,
Are you in Virginia? Looks like Actinolite or kyanite because the blue ones are unique.
It isn't tourmaline because you say they are "cubic"
tattoomagoo

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:27 pm
@farmerman,
Northern Canada over here - Was thinking maybe Arsenopyrite, but haven't found anything that really matched up online. The blues/iridescent colors you see is possibly just from the light shining on the objects. To the naked eye, these look like rods of silvery metal.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 04:13 am
@tattoomagoo,
It looks like some type of pyrite embedded in a quartz matrix. Perhaps they were formed by inclusion rather than crystallization which might have resulted in the tetragonal shape? That's just a guess.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 04:33 am
@tattoomagoo,
prhaps if you took a closer shot at the metallic rods. and put a coin in the picture for some scale.
Its a quartzite mass so the metallic stuff could be n iron mineral that has that habit of long rodas. No pyritic rocks (arseno, cupro, ) take that extreme rod form.
Is it magnetic?
if you take a crystal chunk and hold it in a flame does it have any particular odor?

Theres quite a few of the Nickel iron sulfides (Loellinghite, millwerite) that form long shards like those.
A real find would be if its stibnite (which often forms in qurtz veins as you have there).
Stibnite is the primary ore of antimony so don't go licking it.
tattoomagoo

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:58 am
@farmerman,
The average length of these rods are around 2 mm in length. I zoomed into this specimen with my DinoLite - Non-Metallic
0 Replies

tattoomagoo

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:12 am
@farmerman,
Sylvanite?
0 Replies