Brazilian Storm -- Hurricane??

Piffka

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
According to news reports there was a devastating storm which hit the southern Brazilian coast yesterday. Sadly, at least two people died, some are still missing, many were injured and more than two hundred homes were destroyed. Several hundred thousand people lost power and sustained damage to their homes. I am very sorry to hear that, once again, weather has played a deadly hand in human affairs.

What is bizarre is that two American hurricane watch services called this storm "a hurricane" based on satellite evidence while Brazilian authorities insist it was not. There are no local hurricane planes (why would there be?) and the area most hard hit did not have adequate wind measuring equipment to provide more definitive on-the-ground data.

If it is ever agreed that this was a hurricane, this would be the first of its kind in the southern Atlantic.

Here's the latest word from the Melbourne, Australian online news, the Herald Sun says about it:

Quote:
Two dead in Brazil storms
From correspondents in Brasilia
29mar04

TWO people died and dozens were injured Sunday after an unusual storm slammed into southern Brazil, destroying hundreds of homes with winds roaring at up to 150 kilometers per hour, officials said.

One person died in the town of Torres in Brazil's southernmost state, Rio Grande do Sul, and another in Aranagua in the neighboring state of Santa Catarina, civil defense sergeant Ismael Ros da Lus confirmed.
Some 600 families in both state lost their homes in the storm, civil defense officials said. Telephone and electric lines were down in Torres.

Brazilian meteorologists called it an extra-tropical storm, but its winds were so strong that normally it would be classified as a hurricane.

Luiz Cavalcanti, of the Brazilian Meteorologcal Institute, said such conditions "had never occurred" in that part of the southern Atlantic and that scientists could not explain what caused the storm.

An increase in storms and their intensity was predicted to occur in conjunction with "Global Warming." It makes me wonder if this storm, hurricane or not, is evidence of that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,211 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:31 pm
Piffka--

I was indulging in the same idle speculation. Pity that the Global Warming nay-sayers in the present administration weren't vacationing on the Brazilian coast.

If melting ice caps and glaciers are changing the temperature of Atlantic Ocean water and the direction and intensity of currents like the Gulf Stream then hurricanes could become common in the southern hemisphere.

Meanwhile, I think the Brazilian scientists resisted Yanqui facts, prefering the dignity of local expertise. "I never saw a purple cow, ergo, purple cows prophets are uninformed."

I think the northern hemisphere hurricane season runs from June through October with action really picking up in August and September. April and May could be very interesting months South of the Equator.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:01 pm
Has anyone read Mother of Storms by John Barnes? It's fictional, but you will learn quite a bit about the mechanics of storms and hurricanes. I recommend it highly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:12 pm
Roger--

Thank you. I was trying to remember author and title. Unfortunately my copy was never returned.....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
Brazil is very proud of the fact that it is a land devoid of major natural disasters.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:18 pm
It (the "hurricane") doesn't seem very usual. What's happened?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:10 am
Roger -- I've never read that book, but will look around for it. Thanks.

Noddy -- It will be interesting to see if this will be considered a further harbinger of global warming. You may like to check out the NASA link -- there was mention of global warming studies being done by the space station crew.

Craven -- Do you think that Brazillian pride is the reason that the storm was being downplayed? I think they may have truly been surprised. I'm glad that it was not a very big storm. I assume a class I. hurricane (as it was called) is the lowest magnitude.

Satt -- The reason it is news is that a true hurricane has never been scientifically recorded in that part of the Atlantic. Though the surface temperature is warm enough (80F & up), the resistance between the upper atmosphere & lower atmosphere winds which create these hurricanes in the Caribbean/West Indies don't "usually" work the same in the southern Atlantic, but instead "normally" blow apart such a storm before the opposing winds can accelerate to the point that an "eye' is created.

You might enjoy this reference to it from the NASA Space Notes for 3/28/04.

Here's their image which they describe as "Rare South Atlantic Tropical Cyclone." It LOOKS like a hurricane from space with large cloud formations & a typical eye, but a cyclone must have a similar spiral appearance.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/brazil_tmo_2004086_tn.jpg

Quote:
Today's optional CEO (Crew Earth Observations) targets, in the current LVLH attitude no longer limited by flight rule constraints on the use of the Lab nadir/science window, except for the shutter closure and condensation-prevention plan (limited to 90 min. in 24 hours), were Cyclone Oscar, Indian Ocean (a Category 4 storm with winds at 160 kts, will be visible left of track [center about 2.5 deg off track]. Though not a threat to land, this is the strongest storm on the planet at the moment), Fires, SE Asia (Dynamic event. General burning after months with little rainfall is producing smoke palls. Looking left into Burma and right into Thailand), Floods, Madagascar (400mm-lens. Dynamic event. To continue the excellent ISS/CEO documentation of the floods in western Madagascar [in the wake of Cyclone Ganfilo], the ground requested a mapping swath of the coastline left of track. If possible, the crew was to use the 400mm lens, although shorter lenses could be sufficient. There is the potential of creating a time-slice history of the evolution of this event that has devastated many northern villages and towns), Ganges River Basin (very stable conditions persist in South Asia: looking left and right for aerosols. Visibilities are down to 3 miles in the valley), Mt. Kilimanjaro, Kenya (400mm-lens. Nadir pass over this ice-capped mountain. Detailed images are being requested to document the fast decline of the ice), Kabul, Afghanistan (nadir pass), Salamat Basin Fans, Chad (looking left for a general view of the whole Salamat basin [river and sediment patterns]), Muglad Basin Fans, Sudan (looking right for a general view of young surface sediments between the divide [under track] and the Nile River [about 5 deg right of track]), Aral Sea (good pass over the southern coast where the largest river [Amu Darya] flows into the sea. The Aral is about to suffer dismemberment into two basins by the growth of the central island. A December 2003 image shows the south channel severed and the north channel narrowed, but still functioning. The ground requested a status image), Tropical storm, Brazil (this storm is moving closer to the coast. Newscasts say that such tropical storms [i.e., with a warm core] are "never" seen in the south Atlantic. Looking right of track for a synoptic view), and Sao Paulo, Brazil (looking right for one of the world's largest cities [inland from the coast]).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
Piffka--

Thanks for the link The hurricane information is interesting--but so is the evidence of flooding and other signs of Global Warming. As a taxpayer, I approve.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 11:23 am
Me, too. I was amazed at the amount of work going on.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 12:05 pm
Piffka wrote:

Craven -- Do you think that Brazillian pride is the reason that the storm was being downplayed? I think they may have truly been surprised. I'm glad that it was not a very big storm. I assume a class I. hurricane (as it was called) is the lowest magnitude.

Dunno if it would have been pride, maybe surprise and a reluctance to cede a neat stat.

If I remember to ask some friends in São Paulo about it I'll post here.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 04:31 pm
Piffka wrote:

Satt -- The reason it is news is that a true hurricane has never been scientifically recorded in that part of the Atlantic. Though the surface temperature is warm enough (80F & up), the resistance between the upper atmosphere & lower atmosphere winds which create these hurricanes in the Caribbean/West Indies don't "usually" work the same in the southern Atlantic, but instead "normally" blow apart such a storm before the opposing winds can accelerate to the point that an "eye' is created.

I understand the main winds along the southern Brazilian coastline of the Atlantic are the SE trade winds, with the SE ocean currents. In such a location cyclones or "hurricanes" could not usually be observed. Here seems to be something wrong about the global climate.
0 Replies