What does "Trunk gnarling" mean?

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 06:55 pm
Does "Weighted with shopping" mean "worried by things of shopping"?

Context:

Jenny Joseph's "Women at Streetham Hill", a portrait of a group of women "Weighted with shopping, spreading hands and feet,
Trunk gnarling, weatherworn".

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
neologist

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 09:03 pm
@oristarA,
To show the rarity of this term, a google search turns up this thread 2nd or 3rd on the first page, after a few pictures of really gnarled trunks.
oristarA

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 11:14 pm
@neologist,
Well, no clue to improve my understanding on this...

roger

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:11 am
@oristarA,
Sorry, I can't make sense of any part of that sentence. Grammar looks good, but the meaning eludes me.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 01:18 am
1. Spelling: it is Streatham (not Streetham) Hill. (Very near my childhood home)

2. Streatham Hill is a shopping street in South London. The group of women is being compared poetically to a group of large, old trees. Trees have trunks; gnarls are sometimes called "knots"; if a tree has suffered gnarling it has a wrinkled, rugged, weatherbeaten appearance. Their upper extremities (hands) are rough and large and spreading like the branches of an old tree and so, we may imagine, are their feet (lower extremities) (roots). The women are carrying heavy loads of shopping in bags; they are bowed down somewhat by the weight of them. It may be raining.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:17 am
@contrex,
I thought we were all calling it St. Reathams now.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I thought we were all calling it St. Reathams now.

I don't know about that; I do remember, however that the girls who went to Philippa Fawcett were reckoned to be "hot to trot".
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 03:12 am
@contrex,
It was a feature of the so called gentrification of parts of London by yuppies in the 80s. Traditional names were 'jokingly' made to sound posh, there were quite a few, although the only one I can remember was Streatham/St. Reathams.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 03:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
St. Reathams.

There is (or was) a bar of that name in Streatham High Road. Mind you, there were posh parts of Streatham before gentrification. I mean pre-yuppie "posh". I knew loads of posh kids from around there when I was a teenager.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 03:32 am
@contrex,
Well, I don't think the yuppies were ever accused of having an imagination.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 04:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Well, I don't think the yuppies were ever accused of having an imagination.

Would you believe Norbury used to be posh? I had a mate there whose dad bought his house off Norrie Paramor. My auntie gave herself airs because she lived in Thornton Heath in "Surrey". (That must really date me!)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 05:15 am
@contrex,
What is now the red light district in Southampton used to be very posh, not any more.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 07:05 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Jenny Joseph's "Women at Streetham Hill", a portrait of a group of women "Weighted with shopping, spreading hands and feet,

I read this as:
"Carrying their packages, spreading hands and feet, skin weatherworn and wrinkled like tree bark."
oristarA

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:15 am
@contrex,
Excellent!
Roger has been beaten by the elusive poem.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:18 am
I like Engineer's interpretation.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:20 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

oristarA wrote:

I read this as:
"Carrying their packages, spreading hands and feet, skin weatherworn and wrinkled like tree bark."

Cool. Though "spreading hands and feet" is not explained as good as Contrex did.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:27 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Though "spreading hands and feet" is not explained as good as Contrex did.

I might be wrong or missing the point. Poetry is not meant to be exact. That is one of its attractions for me.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:12 pm
@oristarA,
Carrying packages is very neutral Weighted with shopping implies a burden, perhaps of life, drudgery etc. Life's far from easy.
contrex

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Carrying packages is very neutral Weighted with shopping implies a burden, perhaps of life, drudgery etc. Life's far from easy.

Domestic drudgery in particular.
0 Replies