McDonald's To Post First Quarterly Loss

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:13 pm
For the first time ever, McDonald's is posting a quarterly loss. They will be closing some outlets, as well as laying off employees:

Link To McDonald's Article

One thing that I have noticed about McDonald's and Burger King (OK, so I don't go to Lutece for lunch Very Happy ) is that they are both featuring menu items that cost 99 cents. I suspect that this has to do with the sagging economy.

What do YOU think about this? Is the heyday of McDonald's a thing of the past?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:29 pm
The 99 cent menu likely has a lot more to do with stiff competition from Wendy's, where the 99 cent menu has been around forever . . . they shoulda got rollin' with that before the economy sagged . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 04:30 pm
According to an article I read the other day (on the banckruptcy filing of BK's largest franchisee from up in the Chicago area) the "$.99 sales" aren't due to the economy. The two giants are in a burger war and have been undercutting each other at any cost struggling to get the edge in market share.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:42 pm
Couldn't happen to a better (upside down)company. Now, I am waiting for Wal-Mart's sales to go down. Maybe then.....nah....no. Cruddy company without remorse or socially redeeming value.
0 Replies