The Web Won't Topple Tyranny

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 09:29 pm
This article is very long, so I won't post it here. Instead, here's the link:

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?pt=oGG%2BvQEIjJRNjHGlOJiX4X%3D%3D

You would think the Internet would promote freedom and democracy. But that's not always the case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:19 pm
bm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:35 pm
I was reading this article last night.

I have a couple of qualms with it. Not that I necessarily disagree all that strongly with the main thrust of the article, but there were a few obvious holes in its arguments.

Personally Id say, sure, there's a bit of hype involved in the support-the-internet-and-dictatorship-will-melt-away enthusiasm. In the end its just a tool, the net cant defeat totalitarianism.

But it can undermine it in various ways, just like, say, literacy, pop culture or women's emancipation can. All contribute to making the borders that a totalitarian regime will try to create around its society more porous, broadening people's horizons, creating possible avenues of dissent or at least zones of discrete communication, and promoting a kind of independent-minded self-confidence that's less easily indoctrinated/bullied by a regime.

No, that doesnt guarantee that people will organise and protest next year, but in the long term it makes the kind of 20th century Stalin/Mao/Pot totalitarianism less feasible.

Anyway, like I said I had a few concrete qualms with the writer's arguments - lessee if I'll return here to specify them.
0 Replies