What do strawberries taste like?

hamburgboy

Mon 20 May, 2013 07:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
is kinda watery tasting

fm , i agree !
the highbush blueberries are watery and have taste of real blueberries missing !
farmerman

Mon 20 May, 2013 08:05 am
@hamburgboy,
do thye have lowbush blueberry barrens in Ontario?
ehBeth

Mon 20 May, 2013 08:21 am
@farmerman,
Yes. Lowbush blueberries are found on the shield - we used to buy them on our way up to Mazinaw.

The further north you get, the more you find.

http://www.marquecanadabrand.agr.gc.ca/fact-fiche/5318-eng.htm

Quote:
Canada is the world's largest producer of “lowbush blueberries,” which is another name for wild blueberries.
farmerman

Mon 20 May, 2013 10:07 am
@ehBeth,
acid soils, fast soil drainage, all seem to be the needs of these barren ground lowbush blueberries.
They hve the most intense blueberry flavor. We have a favorite pir bakery in Machias Maine. Its a restaurant bakery called HELEN's and they make a homemade crusty pie that is phenomenal.

Little bit a vanilla Ice cream and Im in hog heaven.

As for Strawberries, my wife makes a great pie with 1/2 cooked local berries and then she cleans and sugars about a quart of "wild strawberries" from our patches. This is all combined and put in a baked pie shell and then just refrigerated. Its served with whup cream.
0 Replies

hentzel

Wed 22 May, 2013 07:31 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I tried the same strawberries. I though that they were terrible. So tart and sour
that I could not eat them. My wife said they were sweet. There must be some
genetic difference in our sense of taste.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 May, 2013 08:58 pm
@hentzel,
I had some fresh straweberries today - dipped in chocolate sauce. yum
farmerman

Thu 23 May, 2013 04:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
When you have some really ripe fresh strawberries, dipping them into chocolate is a waste of strawberry.
Around here, they only do that with the ethylene ripened strawberries that are too sour to eat.
The farmers out there I Calif get paid by the bulk and by the pound, not by the flavor. Around here, anybody caught selling strawberries with even a hint of light pink would get strung up.
edgarblythe

Thu 23 May, 2013 05:00 am
It's hard to find nice strawberries here. I once planted some in the front yard and they had quite a few berries, but not the good ones you want to eat.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 23 May, 2013 05:03 am
@farmerman,
Well said, Farmer.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 23 May, 2013 06:29 am
@hentzel,
hentzel wrote:
There must be some
genetic difference in our sense of taste.

You're right - different people can have different taste results from the same foods. Sometimes because of differences in their taste buds, other times because of differences in where on the tongue they taste the food. The flavour receptors for different tastes are not the same all through your mouth.

It can be interesting sometimes to taste foods in different areas of your mouth.

http://www.thebrewersdray.com.au/index_files/images/taste%20receptors.jpg

http://intelligentbartender.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/tongue-diagram.jpg

some diagrams also show where umami can be tasted best
cicerone imposter

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:02 am
@farmerman,
It's not a waste to me, because I love chocolate and good strawberries!
farmerman

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
we may differ on the word "good". I lived in STOCKTON for a while and never hd a decent strawberry. Id think there has to be some farms that sell fresh to the locals and those may be ok. Its just the ones they pick for warehousing markets that are insipid . Im not a fan of chocolate anyway. When I tell real chocoficianados that I do like Hershey bars, they look at me like I'm another species.
Setanta

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:22 am
@farmerman,
That sort of food snobbery reminds me of the people who sneer at processed cheese, and then pay ridiculous prices for La Vache Qui Rit, which is processed cheese.
farmerman

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:43 am
@Setanta,
Im a guy that likes to eat fresh, local, and in season. Ya cant have better produce than that which is picked ripened in season. It doesn't have a long shelf life but its at a peak of flavor and doesn't need to be gassed to ripen .

firefly

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im a guy that likes to eat fresh, local, and in season. Ya cant have better produce than that which is picked ripened in season

I agree with you on that.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:46 am
@roger,
Quote:
Wild strawberries are great, but so small and sparcely distributed they aren't worth the trouble of picking.

I disagree with the second part of that. Finding wild strawberries is still one of those special things that life great.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
That sort of food snobbery reminds me of the people who sneer at processed cheese, and then pay ridiculous prices for La Vache Qui Rit, which is processed cheese.
Know any oenophiles, Set?
2 buck chuck for me.
cicerone imposter

Thu 23 May, 2013 09:59 am
@farmerman,
I think the best strawberry farms in our area is Monterey. In the Sacramento Valley, there are good strawberries from Florin. As a matter of fact, our family friend had a strawberry farm, and they used to give us some for free, and they were very good strawberries, but that was when we were kids.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 23 May, 2013 02:12 pm
@Setanta,
How can anyone think The Laughing Cow is posh cheese? It comes in a foil triangle with a selection of flavours.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 23 May, 2013 03:24 pm
@neologist,
Two buck chuck works for me. At Trader Joe's in Albquerque, I last saw it at three bucks, but it's still the good old two buck chuck.