What do strawberries taste like?

Setanta

Mon 13 May, 2013 03:57 am
Kiwi fruit . . . strawberries taste a lot like Kiwi fruit.
Lordyaswas

Mon 13 May, 2013 05:18 am
@Setanta,
S'funny, I recently tried a kiwi fruit that tasted like a strawberry.

Big taste test on brit tv about a year ago determined that the variety "Florence" came out on top by quite a long way.
Setanta

Mon 13 May, 2013 05:35 am
Florence was a painful episode in my past . . . i'd . . . i'd rather not recall it.
Lordyaswas

Mon 13 May, 2013 05:37 am
@Setanta,
I told you that you should always lubricate first.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 13 May, 2013 07:24 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

S'funny, I recently tried a kiwi fruit that tasted like a strawberry.

Kiwi fruits suffer from dissociative identity disorder (DID), AKA multiple personality disorder (MPD). I don't trust them.
Lordyaswas

Mon 13 May, 2013 07:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I know exactly what you mean!

I once thought I had a thing going with a kiwi, and thought things were serious when she used to cover me with cream and custard.

Alas, she was just trifling with me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 13 May, 2013 08:59 am
Try eating a couple of Synsepalum dulcificum first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 13 May, 2013 07:25 pm
I ate a strawberry. It tasted like . . . .

More Strawberries . . YUUMM!
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Mon 13 May, 2013 07:55 pm
@Ceili,
I've never had wild strawberries before, but I'm growing some right now and I'm planning on trying them when they come out. I've never tasted sweet strawberries before (they've all been super tart!) so I figure that if I don't find even wild ones sweet then that's just how my body perceives strawberries to be- tart and sour.
ossobuco

Mon 13 May, 2013 08:24 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I planted some and they had small black worms.

they tasted good.

Ragman

Mon 13 May, 2013 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
worms added protein.
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 May, 2013 09:01 pm
@Ragman,
how about snails *escargot
roger

Mon 13 May, 2013 10:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think snails just add slime.
neologist

Tue 14 May, 2013 04:50 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I think snails just add slime.
I'm not hungry anymore
cicerone imposter

Tue 14 May, 2013 11:46 am
@neologist,
I love escargot! They're not slimy when cooked/prepared properly. Mr. Green
Ragman

Tue 14 May, 2013 11:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
Snails? They're not too sweet -- like strawberries.
BillW

Tue 14 May, 2013 12:02 pm
@Ragman,
Snails have to have gralic and butter, strawberries would just not work - besides, I don't really care that much for strawberries; the small seeds maybe?

BTW pinklips - when you plant them, they by definition have become domesticated. But, I be too, too technical; I do understand what you mean.

Actually, this be best cause you won't have the monster, over developed beasts that just don't taste right. Maybe this is the reason I don't much care for sberries any more?
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 18 May, 2013 10:03 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Quote:
I've never had wild strawberries before, but I'm growing some right now and I'm planning on trying them when they come out. I've never tasted sweet strawberries before (they've all been super tart!) so I figure that if I don't find even wild ones sweet then that's just how my body perceives strawberries to be- tart and sour.

I've grown wild strawberries--they are small, delicate, and delicious, nothing like the large strawberries you can buy in the market. Very intense strawberry taste, and you should find them sweet, or, at least, sweeter.

My problem was that the birds and slugs enjoyed them too, so I had to pick and eat them fast, while there were still some left for me.

With regular strawberries, I generally hull them, slice them into halves or quarters, place them in a bowl, and then I macerate them by sprinkling them liberally with sugar and allowing them to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to an hour, gently mixing them once or twice during that time. In addition to the sweetening effect of the sugar, macerating them that way also brings out the natural sweetness and juiciness of the fruit--something I learned from Julia Child. It also leaves a syrup in the bowl you can spoon with the strawberries over ice cream, or cottage cheese, or pound cake, or just add to the portion of strawberries you're eating with a spoon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 19 May, 2013 01:45 am
What the hell are you talking about? You can't grow "wild strawberries." If you grew them, they weren't wild. This is one of the most bizarre threads i've ever seen.
neologist

Sun 19 May, 2013 01:52 am
@Setanta,
Suppose someone were to transplant wild strawberries. At what point would they no longer be wild? I'm asking this because I've got this wild hair . . .