"Let your conscience be your guide." But what is conscience?

neologist

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:17 pm
@vikorr,
You could be describing cognitive dissonance.
vikorr

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 11:02 pm
@neologist,
And?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:04 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I've yet to hear a workable theory as to why the majority of humans alive today are decent and compassionate instead of being selfish and greedy.

It is simple. Humans (along with other primates including chimpanzees and gorillas) are social animals. We survived and thrived by living in groups which helped us find ready mates, defend ourselves and raise children.

You can't live in social groups without decency and compassion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:36 pm
I'm sure most of you don't realize I'm an amateur ornithologist. Lately, I've been polishing up on birdspeak. This is not the type of birdspeak regularly used by members of the US congress. That sort of Twitter has been repudiated by birds for some time now. No, I'm referring to my conversations with Alaskan snow geese. I live in western Washington, USA, where many snow geese spend the winter months. After years of study, during which I had to learn to distinguish rictal from rectal. I was able to record the following conversation between me and Gus, the leader of the flock from Stanwood.

Neo: Gus, how is it you consistently return to this same open field year after year?
Gus: I thought you were a lot smarter than that, Neo. Have you never heard of instinct?
Neo: Oh yeah. Of course. The guidance system built into your pea brains by God.
Gus: Watch yourself, Neo. You ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, either.
Neo. Gus; I've been wondering. This is over 3000 miles. You should really use a map and compass, so you will have knowledge of the good and bad directions.
Gus: But God told our ancestors Donald and Daisy not to touch a map or compass, otherwise we might fall amongst the Tlingit.
Neo: C'mon. You won't fall amongst the Tlingit. (I didn't know this. I just wanted to hear what he might say.)
Gus: Whassamatter, Neo. Don't you trust God? What he put in us is more than good enough.
…..............
And so, even a bird brain can understand how Adam and Eve screwed up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:42 pm
@neologist,
Hey, Gus, how do you get food and water on your long-haul flies from Alaska down to South America?
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Perhaps they can stop at your place, CI. Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:11 pm
@neologist,
We already get plenty of black birds.
neologist

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 09:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Snow geese, like their name, are snow white. They don't go further than western Washington, either.
0 Replies

Nadineday

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 09:14 pm
@neologist,
Two kinds of conscience exists the one that tells you, I did something wrong and I must rectify it, in order to feel o.k. with myself. Then there is a conscience that is aware of its self and strives to know the hidden unconscious which is where the wrong originates. Now was Paul on to something, most definitely. Yesterday, I wrote a 3700 page term paper on my Christian belief which is unaffiliated with the skewed dogma of the church today. The paper focused on the depths of hell as the unconscious. Conscious contact with Christ saves one from this unforeseen drive from acting out, without awareness. The bible portrays a mystery consisting of creation stories relating to death, redemption and life. From the very first story, the serpent promises that if she ate of the tree of knowledge she would not die, little did she know(literally) that he lied, because on that day she died within her spirit(psyche) and the veil was set. The veil is placed between the conscious and unconscious and everyone strives for integration of this split. The veil is the ego "I" always severing and mystifying an ever present truth which is available in this very moment. All moments outside of this is a lie which will probably have a dogma of one kind or another attached to it. The trick is to choose the "dogma" one cane relate to enough that it will remind one of his higher self the "I Am"(Super ego).
Nadineday

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 09:19 pm
@Nadineday,
I just realized the date of this topic. I'm a little outside of the times.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 11:49 pm
@Nadineday,
3700 page!?!?!?
You will find I am a man of few words
Terse, in fact.
Nadineday

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 12:38 am
@neologist,
Terse perspectives are undervalued because most dance around words seeking clarity that could be simply put.
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:18 am
@Nadineday,
Most folks here lose their train of thought after a sentence or two
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:10 am
Conscience is a little cricket that follows us around telling us not to have any fun.

More srsly, The conscience is humans counterbalance to instinct.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:58 am
True Christians are part-God, part-Jesus:
Jesus said “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.....I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20/23)
so it's therefore impossible for true Christians do do anything nasty because it's just not in their nature, their conscience simply won't allow it..Smile

Nonchristians and atheists on the other hand are "empty people" (no offence intended) because they don't have God and Jesus in their heads to overide their base human instincts. Jesus spelt it out to his opponents-
“If God were your Father, you would love me,You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires" (John 8:42-44)

Again no offence, but my life experience over the years has been that you can always rely on nonchristians or atheists to let you down sooner or later..Wink
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 11:48 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
so it's therefore impossible for true Christians do do anything nasty because it's just not in their nature, their conscience simply won't allow it..
Why then did Paul wrestle with the law within him? (Romans 7: 21-24)
. . . let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall (1Corinthians 10:12)
Romeo wrote:
Again no offence, but my life experience over the years has been that you can always rely on nonchristians or atheists to let you down sooner or later
Same goes for many who call themselves christian.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 01:09 pm
@neologist,
Interesting statistics; the majority are christians in the US.
78.4% are christians in the US.

Quote:
Violent Crime

The South, the most populous region in the country, accounted for 41.3 percent of all violent crimes (lesser volumes of 22.9 percent were attributed in the West, 19.5 percent in the Midwest, and 16.2 percent in the Northeast).

Aggravated assaults accounted for the highest number of estimated violent crimes reported to law enforcement at 62.4 percent.
Firearms were used in 67.8 percent of the nation’s murders, 41.3 percent of robberies, and 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults (data on weapons used during forcible rapes is not collected).
In 2011, 64.8 percent of murder offenses, 41.2 percent of forcible rape offenses, 28.7 percent of robbery offenses, and 56.9 percent of aggravated assault offenses were “cleared”—either by the arrest of the subject or because law enforcement encountered a circumstance beyond its control that prohibited an arrest after the subject was identified (i.e., death of the subject).
Property Crime

43.2 percent of the estimated property crimes occurred in the South (followed by the West with 22.8 percent, the Midwest with 21.1 percent, and the Northeast with 13 percent).
Larceny-theft accounted for 68 percent of all property crimes in 2011.
Property crimes resulted in estimated losses of $156.6 billion.
Also cleared were 21.5 percent of larceny-theft offenses, 12.7 percent of burglary offenses, 11.9 percent of motor vehicle theft offenses, and 18.8 percent of arson offenses.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
Quote:
1 - Romeo proclaimed: so it's therefore impossible for true Christians do do anything nasty because it's just not in their nature, their conscience simply won't allow it..
Neologist said: Why then did Paul wrestle with the law within him? (Romans 7: 21-24)

2 -Romeo said: Again no offence, but my life experience over the years has been that you can always rely on nonchristians or atheists to let you down sooner or later
Neologist replied: Same goes for many who call themselves christian.

1- Paul was simply acknowledging his struggle with his baser instincts (he was an ex-bounty hunter), a struggle that ALL of us have day in day out, it's part of being human..Smile

2- Yes I know plenty of alleged so-called "christians" who let people down (I could tell you stories), which proves they're not true Christians at all.
True Christians NEVER let anybody down, not ever..Smile
(Gay Brit TV star Julian Clary said that in his youthful angst-ridden days he asked a monk to pray for him. 30 years later he bumped into him again and asked the monk "Do you remember me?"
"Of course" replied the monk with a smile, "I've been praying for you every day for the past 30 years"
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Are you saying 'holy' men like you are incapable of sin?
0 Replies

Smileyrius
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Id have thought that even true christians would be prone to errors in judgement or lapses in consideration. After all, all man is imperfect right?