Setanta

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:01 am
I was wandering around and stumbled across this, which i don't think has been added to the playlist here yet. The sound quality is not great, but they are obviously enjoying themselves and you can hear George's guitar work in the background much better than on the "official" single that was released. (I bought so many of their singles, and didn't buy a complete album until i bought Rubber Soul.)

panzade

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Right you are Set.
They're a ballsy lot; starting a song with John hitting barre chords on the 2 and 4 count. George's solo displays his devotion to Scotty Moore, Elvis' legendary guitarist.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:51 am
Yes, George was very much into Rockabilly. Here's a Carl Perkins' song that he covered on Beatles for Sale -

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:06 pm
I find their musical antecedents interesting. In an interview i heard once of Paul, he said his father (James McCartney, leader of Jim Mac's Jazz Band) would sit him and his brother Michael down at the piano and make them pick out the notes and chords of songs. John's mother Julia taught him and other members of the Quarrymen to play the banjo, and to tune their guitars to the same key as their banjo (they were a skiffle band). Richard Starkey had two prolonged childhood illnesses, and the second one, a bout of TB in 1953, put him in a sanatorium for two years. There he developed an interest in percussion instruments and joined the hospital band. Once he became a drummer, that was it: " That's where I really started playing. I never wanted anything else from there on . . ." George Harrison was actually an impressive scholar, although his self-effacing manner wouldn't show that. He attended a prestigious school in Liverpool, roughly the equivalent of American middle school and high school (he met Paul on the bus going to school). There he was exposed to music he'd never heard before, and he later said that his earliest influences were George Formby, Cab Calloway,Big Bill Broonzy and Hoagy Carmichael. His father was skeptical, but he bought him a guitar. I think George had the greatest natural performance talent. He became the lead guitar of the Quarrymen at age 15.

Yes, you're right, they had the courage to try new things. It's one of the things that made them such a phenomenon. I think the other was the composing chemistry of Lennon and McCartney. I always thought neither of them composed up to the level of the group after it split up. The total effect on the Beatles music was greater than the sum of the parts.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/Quarrymen_In_Rosebery_Street.jpg

John Lennon, at the mike, in the Quarrymen's first public gig, in 1957.
vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:24 pm
@Setanta,
George and Paul were at the same grammar school in Liverpool. John went to grammar school (a different one), and art college. A grammar school in this country was the aim of many working class boys at that time - they had to pass an examination at the age of 11. Ringo was the only Beatle who didn't get into one - he went to an ordinary secondary modern school instead. The only one who ever had a real job - not in music - was George, who worked in an electrical store for a while.

My husband saw them live when he was a teenager - they appeared near his home at a venue in York in December 1963.

They did a lot of live work for the BBC, like the Saturday Club with Brian Matthews. An example of them live at the BBC is the following -

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:29 pm
I love the Teddy Boy image of George, immediately followed by the earlier, Rocker image.
vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
To me, George always had a sort of sweetness that the others didn't possess. People who met the Beatles always seem to like him, even if they had divided opinions about the others.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:48 pm
For anybody who has the time (over an hour), this is the complete 1964 Melbourne show, including the warm-up acts.

vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 12:50 pm
@Setanta,
Don't think I've seen this one. Thanks - looking forward to seeing it tomorrow!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 01:09 pm
@Setanta,
Watched some of it already - great show! The supporting acts are good too.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 01:13 pm
It's fun. The first act is the New Zealand King of Rock and Roll. He is followed by an Australian who is apparently very popular with the local crowd. They both are wearing 50s style pompadour hair dos. They are followed by Sounds Incorporated, a group managed by Epstein, who toured with the Beatles for a couple of yeas.
vonny

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 01:26 pm
@Setanta,
Love the pompadour hair dos! Also the cuban heels that the Beatles seemed to popularise over here - added quite a bit of height! I know Sounds Incorporated pretty well - Eppy's stable of acts was pretty impressive, including Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer, the Fourmost, Cilla Black and so on. Will watch the show in its entirety tomorrow.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 02:38 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I think the other was the composing chemistry of Lennon and McCartney. I always thought neither of them composed up to the level of the group after it split up. The total effect on the Beatles music was greater than the sum of the parts.

Couldn't agree more.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:56 pm
Found another one for you, Set.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Great post, Set. I didn't know all that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks, your Lordyship . . . you're a prince (so to speak), i don't care what Vonny and Panzade have been sayin' about ya . . .
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:11 pm
@Setanta,
Scurrulio.....scurillou.......filthy lies, all of it!

Nighty night everyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:47 pm
I don't believe this has been posted yet. This was the first song they recorded for their second studio album. I like this video because of the photo montage, may of them pictures of the "original" Beatles, with Pete Best, and dressed as Rockers. The first image shows the 15 year old George in the center.

Ragman

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
Love this story Paul tells about George Harrison's dad:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:32 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Great, Lordy, just great . . . i loved that remark at the beginning, where George Martin and his engineer are telling them that they were unimpressive, and ought to be grateful if EMI, the largest recording company in the world, decided to record their music. Then Martin asked them if they had any comment to make. They were silent for a few beats, then George Harrison leans over and says: "Yeah . . . i don't like your tie." That kind of sums the boys up.
0 Replies