10
   

What is God's real name?

 
 
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 01:08 pm
I noticed in the ten commandments that God said his name is jealous, do you think that he was kidding?

Exodus 34:14
For you shall worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

 
BillRM
 
  0  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 01:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
The gods that mankind come up with over the ages all strangely or not so strangely have all the faults of human including being jealous as in being a jealous god.

reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 01:53 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The gods that mankind come up with over the ages all strangely or not so strangely have all the faults of human including being jealous as in being a jealous god.


In the image of man he created them?
BillRM
 
  0  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 02:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
One of the things that I find interesting is how can or why should the one true god in fact the only existing god be jealous of others gods that are non-existing?

In any case, below is two quotes by one of my favorites author that you might find interesting.

Quote:
The most preposterous notion that Homo sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.” Robert A. Heinlein


Quote:
•"I've never understood how God could expect His creatures to pick the one true religion by faith-—it strikes me as a sloppy way to run a universe."
- Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land







0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 03:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Exodus 34:14
For you shall worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:


There can be no doubt that Man wrote the Bible....jealousy is an human condition as exist among most animals. Sometimes in human interaction, envy may be a failure, then again in "some" relationships, a milder form of jealousy injects a little spark. Man, who wrote the Bible, is attributing human characteristics to the god he created. Homo Sapiens envisions himself as being in the image of this god, a power he has conceived as greater than himself....one that transcends all other gods.

As to what this God's real name is?! Since this god is a state of mind, it can be anything one believes it to be.
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 04:01 pm
HA, and all this time neologist thought God's name was "he who causes to become"!
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 05:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
HA, and all this time neologist thought God's name was "he who causes to become"!


Are you expecting him to share intellectual honesty toward your reply?
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  3  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 02:04 am
Holloway . . . his name is Holloway.

Our Father, which art in Heaven, Holloway be thy name . . .
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Holloway . . . his name is Holloway.
Our Father, which art in Heaven, Holloway be thy name . . .


My fellow poster, we must alway be respectful or courteous regarding others' religious faith, even if we are not of that religion or possibly even non-religious. Ridicule of the New Testament is not the order of the day.

Matthew 6:9 ►
New International Version (©2011)
"This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
Setanta
 
  2  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 12:02 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
F*ck that ****--why should the congregationally superstitious get a special pass? We aren't enjoined to respect the whack-job political opinions of others here. Nobody says we have to take seriously the goofy versions of history or science which get puked up all over this site on a regular basis.

No, nothing obliges me to respect people just because they are piously superstitious.

Who the hell are you to try to tell me what "the order of the day" is?
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

F*ck that ****--why should the congregationally superstitious get a special pass? We aren't enjoined to respect the whack-job political opinions of others here. Nobody says we have to take seriously the goofy versions of history or science which get puked up all over this site on a regular basis.

No, nothing obliges me to respect people just because they are piously superstitious.

Who the hell are you to try to tell me what "the order of the day" is?


Setana, since you responded to the thread I was contributing to, I thought it might be a good idea to show respect to others. After all, wouldn't we want the same respect? However, if I've offended you, I do apologize. I can assure you I'll never bother *YOU* again, PROMISE!!!!!!!
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 02:08 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
You engender contempt rather than offense. Whether or not you address a post to me future is a matter of indifference to me.
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 04:42 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
After all, wouldn't we want the same respect?


Was this your first encounter with Setanta? Hes a character isn't he?

Maybe you disagree but I think that we will all have offspring that are similar to you, me and Setanta [unless you were sterile] and if that is the case we may need to try and find different methods of relating to them if we really do care about them.
Not everyone is the same, everyone is going to be different than the other. If you truly care about others and humanity why not learn to deal with it the best you can rather than completely ignore someone because of their behavior?
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 04:45 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
we must alway be respectful or courteous regarding others' religious faith


why?
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Moment-in-Time wrote:

we must alway be respectful or courteous regarding others' religious faith



why?


I do realize that others do not think that they need to do this but what would be wrong if some thought that they should?

To be honest I am with Moment-in-Time in being respectful towards all of what you believe but I do not see anything wrong with questioning your reality. Keep in mind if you care less I can learn to deal with it as well. Twisted Evil
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 05:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
To be honest I am with Moment-in-Time in being respectful towards all of what you believe


why?
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 06:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
why?


I guess it is because I am empathic and I realize that you have value for what you think you know.
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
After all, wouldn't we want the same respect?


Logic, thanks much for your response....I'm appreciative.

Quote:
Was this your first encounter with Setanta? He's a character isn't he?


Yes, this was my first collision with the poster in question. I must say I'm not used to such blatant hostility and it threw me momentarily off balance. Posters like Setanta I run from like a quick bolt of lightening....first you see it and then it's gone. I am also aware of the different personalities that inhabit these boards.....diversity is great, for the most part.

Quote:
Maybe you disagree but I think that we will all have offspring that are similar to you, me and Setanta [unless you were sterile] and if that is the case we may need to try and find different methods of relating to them if we really do care about them.


I do not have children...I had a biological child and it was given up for adoption because I was unmarried at the time and at University. Yet, I do discern where you're coming from.

Quote:
Not everyone is the same, everyone is going to be different than the other. If you truly care about others and humanity why not learn to deal with it the best you can rather than completely ignore someone because of their behavior?


I understand far better than you might believe, Reasoning Logic. There are many among us from all walks of life with varying problems....we, here on the web, only read their messages which can sometimes be highly intelligent, very astute, understanding, and sometimes brutally disturbing. Since one is left vulnerable to such vicious attacks because of naiveté and or sensitivity, perhaps it's better to keep a low profile regarding the latter type of posters. I was wrong in suggesting we should respect the religion of others; emphatically, there are some who do not take such recommendation likely.

Thank you, Reasoning Logic, for your understanding....I like your penetrating analytical mind.
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
we must alway be respectful or courteous regarding others' religious faith


ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
why?


I think we should treat others the way we wish to be treated. It's quite simple, really. Show respect, get respect in return. What's wrong with being courteous in a civilized society? I also have another reason. I grew up in a quasi-religious household. My mother was a Christian and somewhat religious....the religious part fell heavily on me; I even taught Sunday School. I did not like people taking swipes at my religion. Likewise, I don't like attacks on Islam because of the extremists who have turned their interpretation of religion into Islamic perversion. Long before entering the world of academics I had become an atheist. Yet, I realize there are those among us who still need the god they created out of a need of necessity. God came into being because there was a need for him. Many have outgrown this crutch, but many also still need to believe in a god. Some of us proceed at a faster pace than others; therefore, we should not belittle those who still cling to their religious beliefs where in time a belief in god is their only hope!
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 08:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
Steve

His name is Steve.
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » What is God's real name?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 12/02/2021 at 10:52:03