revisiting tuna noodle casserole - my take on it, and yours

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:13 pm
So, I have a can of cheapo chunk tuna in water, and I have a cupboard with a fair amount of pasta. I have half and half, and this and that.

I look up recipes and alight on Saveur's - here:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tuna-Noodle-Casserole

copying the ingredients:
10 tbsp. butter
Salt
4 1⁄2 cups (about 10 oz.) flat egg noodles
5 scallions, chopped
3 tbsp. flour
1 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
3 1⁄3 cups milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 12-oz. can tuna packed in oil, drained and broken into
small chunks
1 1⁄2 cups homemade fresh white bread crumbs

Well, right away there is trouble, even if I wanted to use that much butter, I've got a week to go before the big grocery spending. I'll make it a mix of butter and olive oil.
Mustard - mine is wet, I learned to make it myself; it's tasty and saves much money.
Bread crumbs, mine are not white, very much.
Scallions - I still have some frozen roasted red onions
On the tuna, I understand, rightly or wrongly, that the chunk type is actually better for you. I've been getting used to it.
My noodles are some packaged spaghettini type pastas, a mess of package leftovers adding up to approaching a pound.
Finally, this all sounds blando to me who likes spices in her life.

So, I'm doing this with the mustard, but also with turmeric, chile powder, basil, and garlic flakes. Garlic flakes? I'm gradually wearing down the jarfull.

Wish me luck - I'll report if it turns out awful (to me) or good.

And you?

Have you made tuna casserole (or similar) lately? Or any dishes that use fish from cans?
Do you adapt online recipes (or from books) easily?
Do you toe the line on recipes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 821 • Replies: 16
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I like going a tuna pad thai direction

easy/fast and the ingredients are always in the house

random noodles/tuna/peanuts/lime/sauce ingredients ( I tend to skip eggs in my versions of pad thai)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 04:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, I'll look at that. My mem of pad thai is too sweet for me, except in small amonts, but restaurants and recipes vary. But, natch, I can cut the sugar.

There's a dearth of peanuts in the fairly low amount of bins here, don't get me started. I need to just buy my grocery store, but of course I can't.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I've gone to wiki instead of restaurant menus and recipe sites to cop a generalization about pad thai, getting hungrier as I post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_thai

We had five thai restaurants within a couple of blocks from us (those were the days), and liked one best.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think of pad thai as being sweet - that may be related to the particular restaurants I've had it at.

Even sparkpeople has a version of tuna pad thai. Jif Extra Crunchy peanut butter is on their ingredient list Very Happy - I think that's great as inexpensive pb is handy to have around for all kinds of recipes.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1610977
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:41 pm
This recipe looks pretty good

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-grown-up-tuna-noodle-casserole-recipes-from-the-kitchn-182849

I like that it has greens in it.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
We always have a few cans of solid Clover Leaf tuna, packed in water, in the house. Their website has several good ideas that I use as a guide, depending upon what I have available at the time.

http://www.cloverleaf.ca/en/recipes/tag/tuna/page:2/limit:12/display:all

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
TNC was the "Go to" meal when we were starving students living in a used trailer . I wish never to see TNC before me ever again. We had it vietnam style with nook mom and italian style with peas, and US style with Merkan cheese
There are certain cat foods that Mrs F gets fer the fuzzy ones that vaguley remind me of TNC
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:50 pm
@ehBeth,
I've tasted endless pad thais and find them sweet.
but, instead of arguing, I'll look at your links.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:53 pm
@mckenzie,
Hi, McK, will look at the link and the recipe takes on it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer, I want to hear more. First of all, what is tmc.

mckenzie

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:01 pm
@mckenzie,
Also, canned crab meat. I keep that on hand specifically to make some version or other of Louisiana stuffed crab. Here's one version that I've saved in my recipe file from the New Orleans Times Picayune. Again, I'll follow it more or less, depending on what's in the house.

STUFFED CRAB(1)

Makes 6 to 8 servings
1 24- by 3- by 2-inch loaf of day-old French bread
1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
2 sticks butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
4 green onions, finely chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 pound lump crab meat, picked over
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, to taste
Crystal hot sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 to 2 cups Italian-style, very fine, dry bread crumbs
1 large lemon, sliced into 18 very thin rounds, seeded
Ground sweet paprika, for garnish
Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the inside bread, leaving a shell of crust about a quarter of an inch thick. Place scooped-out bread in a large mixing bowl and add enough milk to moisten all bread bits; set aside. Cut the shell of crust into 2 1/2-inch lengths to form 18 rectangles, each about 3 inches wide; place rectangles, crust down, on an ungreased baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large heavy skillet, melt 1 stick butter with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add yellow and green onions, garlic and parsley, then wine. Sauté until yellow onions are translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and mix in crab meat, basil and oregano, stirring gently to keep lumps of crab intact. Season to taste with salt, pepper, seasoning mix and hot sauce. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir lemon juice into mixture. Drain bread-milk mixture in a strainer or colander and squeeze bread dry. Add this bread and Parmesan to the skillet, mixing well. Gradually add enough Italian-style bread crumbs to mixture to make it the consistency of somewhat sticky dough; this probably will require 1 to 2 cups of bread crumbs. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Mound crab mixture evenly over the bread rectangles, using all of the crab mixture.
Slice the remaining stick of butter into 18 pats. Top each rectangle with a butter pat, then a lemon round, then a light sprinkle of paprika. Bake until rectangles start to brown, about 20 minutes.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
tnc - tuna noodle casserole
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:02 pm
@ossobuco,
I said TNC (Tuna Noodle Casserole), TNC?
mckenzie

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Not to mention Brunswick Kippered Herring, a great favourite of Mr. M's, right out of the can. Yuck!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:06 pm
@mckenzie,
McKenzie, I'll look into that. For a while I got to know about fresh crab in the california northwest, and now that I live in hell and gone, I wouldn't trust any.
Still, maybe I could learn about canned crab.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
Aha!
Thanks

Well, of course I get your viewpoint.

I've only liked tuna once or twice. Once, from the boulangerie restaurant next to our design studio (we all got fatter) and once with sushi. Or in restaurants that served it cooked fresh.
You and I live on different money planets, which is fine, but I'm working on eating well on little, thus my new interest in canned fish.

0 Replies