HDTV via Satellite TV Systems

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:42 pm
A question for anyone that is getting HDTV over a DBS system (i.e. Direct TV or similar): What HD resolution are the HD channels broadcast in?

I have Comcast HDTV (cable) and the local channels here vary. Of the 8 channels broadcast in HD out of greater Boston only 3 are 1080i (CBS, NBC and UPN). One (ABC) is in 702p, one (FOX) is in 480p and 3 (two PBS channels and Univision) are in 480i.

Are the HD channels over satellite just as varied or are they all in one resulotion? (I have a feeling this is controlled by the actual station and not the broadcaster. ARRGH!)

Anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,124 • Replies: 2
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 02:50 pm
My buddies tv scales up to 1080i - it's mostly by the station - he says.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:25 pm
On DirecTV, the premium channels, HBO, Showtime, DirecTVHD (pay-per-view), etc, and Discovery Channel HD, are nominally 1080i, as is Playboy's Spice Channel, though except for Discovery HD, program material often is really only 480P. National network feeds are 1080i for all but FOX, which originates in 720p at network level. Again, lots of actual program material actually is only 480P, and a lot of that is merely upconverted from standard NTSC 480i. The audio is Dolby Digital, but an awful lot of it is just 2-channel stereo, not 5.1; not DirecTV's fault ... they downlink whatever the provider uplinks to them, just as they do with the standard definition channels. In some, but not all, market areas, what local HDTV as may be made available to DirecTV by the individual stations is provided in whatever format its uplinked. So far, I haven't been all that thrilled by satellite HD; my main TV can upconvert anything to 1080i, and for satellite, I mainly just let it reprocess the NTSC signal. Sometimes that is a noticeably better picture than the HD-from-Satellite. In my situation, I find the OTA HD generally superior to that from DBS. Your mileage may vary, of course.
0 Replies