what to wear to a job fair

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:41 am
I'm planning on attending an education job fair at the end of the month. I've been out of the work force for over 2 yrs now and don't have much of a wardrobe. Whatshould I wear? Specific advice would be great. What kind of shoes, heel or no heel? I have a nice black suit, but I think that would come off kind of 'cold'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,746 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:45 am
Key word- professional.

A black suit can look great if you wear a blouse with color and maybe a nice unique pin on the lapel.

The standard used to be 2 inch heels, enough to get a lift and make the legs look good, but not high or spiked.

Makeup that looks natural, not overdone.

Hair that is neat and trimmed.

Look like someone people would want to leave their kids with to get an eduation.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:46 am
I'd say low or no heel. The black suit would work with a colorful blouse (not too colorful, though - no fucshia, etc.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:47 am
And think about your purse/briefcase. They are part of your professional image, too.

Take it easy with perfume, and keep the jewelry conservative.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:47 am
Hmm, a black suit could be fine, especially if worn open with a colorful shirt.

Pumps are the least-risky shoes, with a medium heel. (1.5/ 2 inches.)

Describe the suit -- what kind of material? Pants or skirt? Etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:48 am
Oh, hi mac and Camille! Consensus seems to be brewing... :-D
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:08 am
The jacket and skirt are some sort of super-duper travel material that doesn't wrinkle and is stain resistant. It actually feels nice and soft, drapes slightly, and has a matte finish. Plain buttons, single breasted. I thought about khaki dress pants instead of the skirt???

I have an azure blouse that I usually wear with the suit.

I dunno... If I were choosing, I'd want someone who projects a professional, yet warm appearance. I'm aiming for science teaching, so I'd like to look like I can go outside and know what's what. Professional, yet a bit granola. Is that possible?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:13 am
Hmmm, it's a job fair, which has its own rules. At a job fair, you want to go for professional. You haven't said yet whether the suit is pants or a skirt; pants and nice oxfords/ loafers that coordinate could be professional but a little sportier.

Generally, they're not expecting that you'll wear to the job fair what you'll wear to work, they're expecting that you know how to present yourself professionally. I see what you're saying about image, but khakis seem too casual.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:14 am
You can do the "a bit granola" with hairstyle, makeup (or lack thereof) and jewelry.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
The suit has a plain black skirt. You're probably right, sozobe.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:17 am
But I wanted an excuse to buy new clothes!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:20 am
The suit sounds promising. That, your azure blouse (unless it's satin or something shiny), some nice pumps, some slightly individualistic/ granola jewelry, and a soft hairstyle (to counteract the severity of the black suit), and you're good to go! :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:21 am
Just saw your last comment... ha! Well, confidence is incredibly important, and if you think you'd be more confident in a new suit... Cool
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
mac11 wrote:
And think about your purse/briefcase. They are part of your professional image, too.

Take it easy with perfume, and keep the jewelry conservative.

Good points! Carry a briefcase or portfolio, not loose papers!
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
Is a tote bag okay?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
Yes, a tote bag can be fine, as long as it looks neat. You know, not a beach bag or a diaper bag or some such...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 01:47 pm
Buy a new suit. Treat yourself. Something other than black. blue or brown, tho. Here's your excuse...it'll be springtime!! Nothing wrong with a more festive, stand-out color if you wear color well. And a nice, soft, off-white blouse. Keep the pumps low and in a light neutral like taupe or beige. Handbag AND briefcase/tote/portfolio absolutely must compliment. Can't get away with a good handbag and a funky, coming-out-of-nowhere totebag.
Much luck to you.

Buy that new suit! Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 02:04 pm
About the shoes: you may may be standing in a lot of lines for a long, long time. Do NOT wear the cruel shoes, no matter how good they look.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:01 pm
Well, I went shopping. I wound up going to Target; I was surprised at how nice the clothes were there. I bought a khaki skirt and striped blouse to go with my black jacket. I felt good about my outfit.

I went to the job fair and... what was the name of that Lucas film I never watched - Attack of the Clones...

I swear I think I saw at least three women wearing the same blouse as I. The most popular outfit seemed to be the black pantsuit, then there were the black suits with skirts. At least I had the khaki skirt.

As for shoes, I found a nice pair of 'loafers' with a slight heel - very comfy.

I did see one woman wearing a pair of mid-calf boots with a 4-5 inch stilleto heel. Eek!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:28 pm
and........

......any prospects?

Let us know! Very Happy
0 Replies