Slavery and the Bible

pistoff

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:00 pm
Slave Quotes

Psalm 123:2
As the eyes of slaves look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maid look to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us his mercy.

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

Ephesians 6:9
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

Colossians 3:22
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.

Colossians 4:1
Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.

1 Timothy 6:1
All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered.

Titus 2:9
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them,

1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,538 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Terry

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:52 am
More slavery quotes:

Exodus 21
2 "If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

20 "If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, 21 but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Leviticus 25
39 " 'If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave. 40 He is to be treated as a hired worker or a temporary resident among you; he is to work for you until the Year of Jubilee. 41 Then he and his children are to be released, and he will go back to his own clan and to the property of his forefathers. 42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they must not be sold as slaves. 43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God.

44 " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:06 am
another topic started on the same:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17942
and another one
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9050
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:19 am
This is so politically incorrect. We call them live-in help these days.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:37 am
It's funny to me to see those quotes. It seems to prove that the bible was writen by the elite for the purpose of keeping everyone in line. Not so much as the word of god.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:50 pm
Beating your slave..
It's OK as long as he/she wakes up after a few days..

The Old Testament was not written by any god. It was written by men. Women don't seem to fare well in this Old book either.

Anyone that thinks the writng in the Bible was directed by a god and everything is literally true is a mental case.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 07:52 pm
ok, make that the word of christ. Isn't that what it is supposed to be? (I'm not too well-versed on the subject, as you can tell).
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:02 pm
Old and New
Old and New Testement are seperate but in the same book.
Jesus is the son of God, not God. Then there is a Holy Spirit. It's all mumbo jumbo. People who believe this stuff are wak.

Belief in the Tooth Fairy, Peter Pan, or the Easter Bunny are just as valid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:50 pm
I agree with ya on your last point!
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
I would say the Bible is more believable than the easter bunny because

>People have never felt strongly moved by the easter bunny
>Bible stories are not told to young children by adults who know it's not true
>I am fairly sure - well I think Embarrassed - that it is possible to trace what particularly Cadbury's promotion or whatever it was started the whole Easter bunny thing. :wink:

The same pretty much goes for the others. It's an interesting point Exclamation , but however shaky Bible evidence is (and I'm no expert on the subject), I would say tooth fairy evidence is shakier. Laughing
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:21 am
Re: Old and New
pistoff wrote:
Jesus is the son of God, not God. Then there is a Holy Spirit. It's all mumbo jumbo. People who believe this stuff are wak.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Christians believe that Christ is God. There is only one God who manifests himself as God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. I can understand how this is difficult to understand or comprehend. As to people who believe this stuff being "wak", I assume you mean weak. Is that weak in the mind or weak in body? I am not particularly strong in body, so I would agree with that at least where I am concerned. As far as weak in mind, I really think you should stick with discussing points of Christianity you disagree with as opposed to name calling. Or maybe you meant emotionally weak? Nah, cause that doesn't fit me either. My faith is not based on emotion, but rather on a relationship with a living God. Just because you do not understand is no reason to resort to calling any Christian "wak" or weak if that is what you meant.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:29 am
I think Pist meant "wacko" which isn't very kind. I posted this before...sorta relates to my feelings about parts of the Bible.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her menstrual period - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,

Jack
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:32 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
pistoff wrote:

Just for the sake of accuracy, Christians believe that Christ is God.

That is true, but not accurate. There are plenty of Christians who believe that Christ is the son of God, and they are two seperate individuals. Just a point of clarification.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:23 am
cavfancier wrote:
This is so politically incorrect. We call them live-in help these days.

"Live-in help"? I thought we called them wives! Confused
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:24 am
SCoates wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
pistoff wrote:

Just for the sake of accuracy, Christians believe that Christ is God.

That is true, but not accurate. There are plenty of Christians who believe that Christ is the son of God, and they are two seperate individuals. Just a point of clarification.

I thought Christians believed that there were 3 persons in one God?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:27 am
panzade wrote:
I think Pist meant "wacko" which isn't very kind. I posted this before...sorta relates to my feelings about parts of the Bible.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her menstrual period - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,

Jack

Dr. Laura was a convert to Orthodox Judaism. Recently, she has converted to born-again christianity.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:31 am
Re: Beating your slave..
pistoff wrote:
It's OK as long as he/she wakes up after a few days..

The Old Testament was not written by any god. It was written by men. Women don't seem to fare well in this Old book either.

Anyone that thinks the writng in the Bible was directed by a god and everything is literally true is a mental case.

The Hebrew Bible ( referred to as the Old Testment by non-Jews) was written by both men and women, who were inspired by God to do so.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:10 am
Wak
If god and Jesus are one then that must be schizophrenia. Didn't Jesus ask while on the cross "Lord why have you forsaken me"? according to the New Testament? Didn't god order Jesus to sacrifice himself and Jesus was reluctant to do so at first? Didn't Lucifer, an ex angel try to tempt Jesus not to sacrifice himself by offering Jesus the universe, which god created?

It all sound wak to me.

Some of the teachings of Jesus were cool, if not mostly impossible by most human beings to live by but trying to do so would be a good thing.Aren't Jesus' teachings enough for humans? Why does Jesus have to have done all of these impossible miracles, be savagely and humilatingly tortured, executed and rise from the dead?

Why do Christians insist that anyone that doesn't accept Jesus as their savior must go to Hell? I mean that sends a few billion people every year to Hell; good people that are of many other religions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:37 am
Pistoff: I'd have to question your estimate on how many people go to hell every year... but everything else you said here appears to be pretty accurate. :wink:
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:42 am
Ah.
Yeah, got carried away with that; maybe a few million? :wink:
0 Replies