Get drunk. It's in the bible!

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 09:10 pm
Proverbs 31 6-7:

"Give strong drink unto him that is perishing, and wine unto the distressed in soul: Let him drink and forget his misery and remember his sorrow no more!"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same as saying "drown your sorrows in booze?"

I wonder if they read this passage at AA meetings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,358 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:10 am
I suspect not...
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:40 am
I don't know which I find more distressing, the fact that k.c. is reading the Bible, or the idea that he is able to interpret something biblical into something tawdry? *L*

The first surprises me, the second doesn't. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:21 am
kickycan: Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life.
Instead, let the Holy Spirit fill and control you. (Ephesians, 5, 18 ) :wink:

(Not that I read the bible frequently, but I can use search engines - sometimes, sometimes not so good as caprice knows :wink: )

Proverbs chapter 20

1It isn't smart to get drunk!
Drinking makes a fool of you
and leads to fights.

Hosea chapter 4

11 The Lord says, "Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses!"

Proverbs chapter 23

19 Listen, my child, be wise and give serious thought to the way you live. 20 Don't associate with people who drink too much wine or stuff themselves with food. 21 Drunkards and gluttons will be reduced to poverty. If all you do is eat and sleep, you will soon be wearing rags.

29 Show me people who drink too much, who have to try out fancy drinks, and I will show you people who are miserable and sorry for themselves, always causing trouble and always complaining. Their eyes are bloodshot, and they have bruises that could have been avoided.
31 Don't let wine tempt you, even though it is rich red, and it sparkles in the cup, and it goes down smoothly. 32 The next morning you will feel as if you had been bitten by a poisonous snake. 33 Weird sights will appear before your eyes, and you will not be able to think or speak clearly. 34 You will feel as if you were out on the ocean, seasick, swinging high up in the rigging of a tossing ship. 35 "I must have been hit," you will say; "I must have been beaten up, but I don't remember it. Why can't I wake up? I need another drink."

Isaiah chapter 28

1 Destruction is certain for the city of Samaria - the pride and joy of the drunkards of Israel! 7 Israel is being led by drunks! The priests and prophets reel and stagger from beer and wine. They make stupid mistakes as they carry out their responsibilities.

1 Thessalonians chapter 5

1 I really don't need to write to you about how and when all this will happen, dear brothers and sisters. 2 For you know quite well that the day of the Lord will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. 3 When people are saying, "All is well; everything is peaceful and secure," then disaster will fall upon them as suddenly as a woman's birth pains begin when her child is about to be born. And there will be no escape.

4 But you aren't in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters, and you won't be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief. 5 For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don't belong to darkness and night.

6 So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be sober. 7 Night is the time for sleep and the time when people get drunk. 8 But let us who live in the light think clearly, protected by the body armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation. 9 For God decided to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us. 10 He died for us so that we can live with him forever, whether we are dead or alive at the time of his return.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:06 am
Jesus was a winebibber, as they say...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Quote:
Proverbs 31
4And it is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine. Rulers should not crave liquor. 5For if they drink, they may forget their duties and be unable to give justice to those who are oppressed. 6Liquor is for the dying, and wine for those in deep depression. 7Let them drink to forget their poverty and remember their troubles no more.

There you have it. It's OK to drink if your life is miserable, as long as you don't have any responsibilities. Wonder if this passage also applies to drugs? Perhaps God-fearing Republicans should stop trying to have drugs and alcohol kept away from those who "need" them! Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:44 am
truth
Horray! Now I can return to the Church of my fathers. They all drank, but not an alcoholic among them (well, my father was marginal, and he was the only non-Catholic of his family--my mother's side of the family is another story; few believers but many drunkards). I consider Bachuss to be a credible saint.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:27 pm
Even the devil can quote scripture.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:06 pm
And of course, if you knew me, you would know that I am, in fact, a cloven-hooved demon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:22 pm
She who has framed portraits of Bacchus in her kitchen, yes, more than one, enjoins you to eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow, well, therein lies a point of conjecture.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:48 pm
interpretation interpretation interpretation and context.
the biblical emphasis - via many passages is that drinking in excess is not good. Don't let one passage that is difficult lead you astray, this is often the case when one wants to make the bible look bad.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:59 pm
My grandmother, God rest her soul, used to justify her nightly toddy by quoting the Bible--"....a little wine for the stomach's sake.." Unfortunately, my Dad was a signifier and when she was visiting with the local pastor, brought a small jug of spirits into the room and handed it to her saying, "Here's your liquor, Ganny." Everyone in my family loved to tell that story. At the time I heard it, I was quite young and thought that was a terrible thing for my Dad to do.

Hey, kickycan. Gird up your loins and be sober. That's in the Bible somewhere. Think St. Peter was the author. Razz
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
Letty, I appreciate the St. Peter quote about sobriety, but I think I will stick with the drankin' thang! Smile

Geez, if you just pick and choose which parts of the bible you want to follow, I bet you can get away with most anything!
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:21 pm
Ossobuco:

Proverb 31:7 has always been a favorite of mine.

Joe H.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 12:57 am
Very Happy
0 Replies