to, for, in ?

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 11:27 am
It has been difficult to integrate all the groups ( ) our society due to their different social values and traditions.

Can I put "in" "to" "for" in that blank?
What are the differences in meaning?

Thank you for your help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 636 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by jangsunny1030
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 11:55 am
@jangsunny1030,
WOW Jang what a challenge

"in" implies groups of one sort or another already exist but that each one suffers internal disjuncture which you'd found difficult to address; confusing

"to" or better yet "into" would better express the idea that each of these groups might already well integrated but that you've found it difficult to reconcile them with the existing sociological structure

"for" suggests an activity separate from the society itself, finding it difficult responding to its need to incorporate subcultures

Very complex; doubtless controversial, splitting hairs indefinitely
dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 12:23 pm
@dalehileman,
Now, "into" v "within": The former might apply in the case where groups enter from the outside and the latter where they're already present but not yet well established
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 01:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
splitting hairs indefinitely

Forgetting the pejorative sense of this idiom, Dale, are you now beginning to see just how complex language is? And this has nothing to do with SWE/SFE versus NSE/colloquial [nonstandard English] versus AAVE or any other dialect of English. Each has its own complexities, deep deep complexities.

You can't explain this, yet you, and even little children, deploy these complexities found within language with no conscious thought.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 01:41 pm
@JTT,
splitting hairs indefinitely

Quote:
are you now beginning to see just how complex language is?
Come on JTT, do you suppose I hadn't realized it until responding to Jang's OP just now

Quote:
And this has nothing to do with SWE/SFE versus NSE/colloquial [nonstandard English] versus AAVE or any other dialect of English.
Nothing whatever

Quote:
Each has its own complexities, deep deep complexities.
I daresay

Quote:
You can't explain this,
Sorry JTT but this what

Quote:
yet you, and even little children, deploy these complexities found within language with no conscious thought.
Well thank you JTT but you confer unwarranted credit. I had to think about each one
0 Replies