Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 04:30 am
I would like to open with a quote that has become rather famous:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
-Krishnamurti

Now lets check some facts:
-We live in a culture that prospers by depriving other cultures of resources, and it is nearly impossible to live in the western world without contributing to this.
-We fill our lives with meaningless consumption and more and more ego worship to obscure the first facts.
-We consume for the sake of consumption, quickly depleting the natural resources of this planet in irresponsible ways.

There is no indication that any of these things will change in the near future. That leaves me with the problem that we, as a nation (it is likely that if you have access to this post you live in one of the nations who contributes to the imbalance) do not behave in accordance with the values we teach children. The values we ourselves were taught.

If you cannot reconcile this game breaking conflict of conscience, you have a real problem. But the problem isn't that your mind is fucked. It is that your conscience is clearer than those around you. It is still your problem to deal with, even though you are not the cause of it.
So how do we deal? Do we swallow meds and tell ourselves that our thoughts and feelings are invalids not worthy of expression?
It would be a crime against yourself, but it is the solution we are most frequently and eagerly offered.
Instead, we should realize that sometimes the one with the mental disorder isn't the one that's ill. He's just the one suffering from the symptoms of an illness we all share, collectively. It is a curse put upon him by society because he has truly embraced the values of his upbringing, and that puts him at a disadvantage. That, to me, sounds a lot like a profoundly sick society.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,025 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 08:05 am
Amen to all that.

Sometimes people respond appropriately to the situation they are in. And that can drive anyone nuts.
0 Replies

imans

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
mental illness is exclusively due to one reason, not being true
like u r inventin here all kind of reasons affectin brains while polluating their noses, stories neverendin blablablablabla what do u expect urself existence present constantly would become after few number of years like that
for how long u can invent smthg
even in scripture it is mentionned that creations wre in few days while that creator is not being conditionned by his lies or inventions

so to b true it is simple though, just act the least recognizin reality there but also that u r not what makes it
even if u have intentions in makin smthg it cant reach but as a contribution among so many others hands and supports from whole reality constancy and always unknown source

when u do the least of that, u wont b ill by lockin urself in ur head to find ur life in what u r doing

the least clear objective mean is the reason of being right since always then real or accordin to reality, not reality invention accordin to u invented
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:26 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:32 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I would like to open with a quote that has become rather famous:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
-Krishnamurti

Now lets check some facts:
-We live in a culture that prospers by depriving other cultures of resources, and it is nearly impossible to live in the western world without contributing to this.
-We fill our lives with meaningless consumption and more and more ego worship to obscure the first facts.
-We consume for the sake of consumption, quickly depleting the natural resources of this planet in irresponsible ways.

There is no indication that any of these things will change in the near future. That leaves me with the problem that we, as a nation (it is likely that if you have access to this post you live in one of the nations who contributes to the imbalance) do not behave in accordance with the values we teach children. The values we ourselves were taught.

If you cannot reconcile this game breaking conflict of conscience, you have a real problem. But the problem isn't that your mind is fucked. It is that your conscience is clearer than those around you. It is still your problem to deal with, even though you are not the cause of it.
So how do we deal? Do we swallow meds and tell ourselves that our thoughts and feelings are invalids not worthy of expression?
It would be a crime against yourself, but it is the solution we are most frequently and eagerly offered.
Instead, we should realize that sometimes the one with the mental disorder isn't the one that's ill. He's just the one suffering from the symptoms of an illness we all share, collectively. It is a curse put upon him by society because he has truly embraced the values of his upbringing, and that puts him at a disadvantage. That, to me, sounds a lot like a profoundly sick society.

Well said !
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:47 pm
Cyracuz, Welcome back. Actually, Norway, illness can be caused by a state of mind. I know that from experience.

Perhaps some poetry?

We'll dedicate this one to Filipe, Razz

Today is this lady's birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VVLSeF7Dg

Sonnet from the Portuguese.

0 Replies