truth

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:39 pm
Oh what a tangled web we weave. We call these discussions "threads" (of thought). Sometimes they are best referred to as (tangled) "webs." But no matter, they are fun and good exercise for my aging brain.
Joe you answered my question on the use value of logic with something like, "It permits me to see the illogicality around me." I understand. It takes intelligence to recognize stupidity. The most poignant scene in the movie, "Monster," was when the heroine tried to impress prospective employers with obviously naive remarks, thinking they were taken as sophisticated. It was SO sad.
Our discussion seems to boil down to a debate betweem the value of formal abstract logic and the Pragmatists' logic of Instrumentalism. If logic is not a tool to be USED for purposes of problem solving, in the "real world" then it amounts to no more than a game for mathematically talented individuals. That's why it seems to me that your disdain of "merely empirical objections" is misguided. Logic is a tool for dealing with problems we confront in the empirical world. A purely formal logic is valueless (to me) if it does not serve to solve problems. If I want to develop a sense of the nature of (my) Reality, I would rather meditate on the nature of my experience as such. If we argue that that is too subjective a path to "real" knowledge, I must remind us that the axioms upon which logic (and all thinking) rest are inherently subjective. They feel true or self-evident, but that's only so, as far as we know, for human minds (and, of course, such minds are conditioned by historical and cultural exigencies). If we argue that axioms are not solipsitically "true", not totally subjective, because they are SHARED by other minds, I'll concede to the extent of calling them "inter-subjective. "But to my mind that is STILL subjective, albeit, perhaps the subjectivity of a species (or cultural sub-species?).
OOPS! THIS SHOULD HAVE POSTED IN THE THREAD "NON-CONTRADICTION".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
JL, I realize that you may have posted this in the wrong place, but I have a simple question. At what point in your life did you decide that you were an atheist?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 04:13 pm
truth
Hi Letty. About the age of 13 or 14 I realized that I was totally indifferent to religion. I guess that's true for many middle school kids. About the age of 18 I read The Story of Philosophy by Will and Ariel Durant and a manual on Vedanta (A Hindu philosophy). That pretty much did it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 04:28 pm
Did your parents have any influence on how you thought? I ask this, because although my mother was quite devout, and my dad was ho-hum, neither imposed any particular dogmatic tenets on me. I guess it was the Baptist Sunday School that did it; it was a SCHOOL, too. I can still recite all sixty-six books of the Bible. <smile> Now, I look at Jesus as a great philosopher.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:51 am
truth
Letty, my parents were totally indifferent to formal religion. They put me and my brother into catholic school for much of our grammar school education because of the belief that we'd get a better education there. But they took us out when they realized we had become scared to death of going to Hell. My brother became a Baptist, fundamentalist minister. He's always trying to save my soul, and I'm always trying to save his mind. We are, as I said somewhere else, both unsucessful. Philosophy was my salvation.
My father was a "believer" in Vedanta Hinduism.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm
I believe it was the teachings of Jesus and Buddha and all "holy" people that each individual must seek his own path to truth. There are no books that can ever convey true wisdom. That can only come from experience. The challenge then becomes to remain open to the unknown, for it is what you don't see that can truly open your eyes. As one grows one must shed all norms and predisposition like the snake sheds it's skin, lest he become buried in his old ways, overrun by evolution, stubborn, bitter and incapable of happiness...
So philosophy is really no savior. The savior is the mind that realizes that it is, in fact, at the very front of evolution, and that surfs the wave himself instead of looking back to see how others did it before him...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 01:44 pm
truth
Cryacuz, bravo. I particularly like your "...each individual must seek his own path to truth. There are no books that can convey true wisdom. That can only come from experience." This is what the Buddha meant, I think, by his final words: "Be a lantern unto yourself."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 04:37 am
I keep thinking that if I could only know this in my heart, not just in my head, I would be capable of anything. But it is a process we go through, and in this process the hopes and wishes for tomorrow can be just as treacherous and misguiding as the memories of yesterday...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:53 am
truth
Cyracuz. I agree. Hopes for the future and attachments to the past serve to distort our appreciation and apprehension of the present, which is all there really is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 06:17 pm
I don't often quote the pundits, but I couldn't resist this one:

Thought for Today: ``Uninterpreted truth is as useless as buried gold.'' - Lytton Strachey, English biographer (1880-1932).
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:21 pm
So what is interpreted truth? Spent gold, Smile

Well I guess you can't spend the truth.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:09 am
but can you take it with you?
the truth that is? Wink
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:13 am
Where I'm going there is no truth.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:17 am
When you think about it, the future is but another word for hopes and dreams, and the past is equivalent of our memories. In this day and age we have a collective memory that we call history, and we take actions all the time to better our future, so it is not so strange that the terms are mixed up and misunderstood.

I also have the impression that if all our actions are preventive we justify the evil we wish to combat by placing it at the center of our attention. What we do stems from our expectation, and so we have created a manifestation of our fears...

"The past is history, the future is a mystery. This moment is a gift, and that's why we call it the present... " (source unknown to me)
Have a nice day y'all Smile

Cyracuz
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:33 pm
truth
Twyvel, where "you" ARE there's no truth--only competing propositions.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
Truth is a direct result of observation.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
JLNobody

Very Happy

Where I am truth is not and where I am not there is no truth or non-truth.

Portal Star

Truth is a result of direct observation, :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
"....to thine own self be true..." What a liar and dissembler Polonious was. Ain't that always the way?
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:45 pm
Well Letty, can the truth be told?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:55 pm
of course, twyvel. I guess we're permitted hashed metaphors on A2K. Smile

Feeling a little under the weather, if the truth be told..

Goodnight,
From Florida
0 Replies