Cyprus and the Eratosthenes Tablemount (+Japan)

Viknowz

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:08 pm
Esteemed Geologists,

I have a whole series of questions on Tectonic Plate migration, with the primary concerns being directed at the Island of Cyprus – and the surrounding area.

I will first begin with Japan, to lead into the questions on Cyprus.

Japan is an island, and is on the Eurasian Plate, right?

Japan is said to have moved 8 ft. during It’s recent tsunami/earthquake.

How does this happen? Are there minor plates within plates?

Is Japan's 8 ft. movement in addition to an average 2 cm. steady drift, usually associated with continents, or does this sudden movement actually indicate the norm of continental drift, and only the averages are assessed - over time?

I am also very interested in the Island of Cyprus, which is subject to subduction forces.

The Eratosthenes Tablemount (of Cyprus) seems to have been connected (at one time) to the Hecataeus Seamount. Is this a possibility?

What is the name of the plate bordering the African Plate and Eurasian Plate (west of the Indian-Australian Plate)? This plate seems to be what Israel, Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia are located on.

Does the Cyprus Basin straddle two or three of the bordering plates, or is all of Cyprus (Island, H. Seamount, Basin, & E. Tablemount) all together on one plate?

Is it possible that the island of Cyprus (& H. Seamount) has moved North, over time - from the Eratosthenes Tablemount?

If so, what is the rate of movement?

Is it a certainty that the average rate of continental drift has been a steady constant - over centuries (& millennia)?

Can there not be other events, such as Japan's tsunami-based movement, which cannot be accounted for - within the averages of continental drift?

Is there such a thing as plate rotation, wherein two topographical points from different plates are more greatly affected than two other points (similarly related as the first two)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,664 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Viknowz

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:42 pm
@Viknowz,
A Wikipedia site - on the Eratosthenes Tablemount:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes_Tablemount

Viknowz

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:23 pm
@Viknowz,
Note: Google Earth and Wikipedia differ on whether to call the sunken massif the Eratosthenes Tablemount - or Eratosthenes Seamount.

Also, the two sources differ on the name of the basin. Is it the Cyprus Basin, (as Google Earth depicts) or the Levantine Basin (Wikipedia)?

Wikipedia has given the name Cyprus Basin to an area on the inner-base of the island, while Google Earth has the large outer-basin area (between island and massif) titled as Cyprus.

Also, is it the Hecataeus Sea mount (Google Earth), or the Hecataeus Rise?
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:28 pm
@Viknowz,
Esteemed?

Some of your terms seem to be local ones. Are you in undergrad school in Israel? We dont use "tablemount" much (thats more a European and Asiatic term) We use "Guyot".

BUT neither H nor T. Is this homework?

I recall in the last 2 years GSA had a few articles on dynamics around the Eratosthenes Guyot. Are you familiar with GSA?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 10:33 pm
@Viknowz,
PS, WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A primary source. It is someones OPINION or it belongs to someone who is trying to disseminate their research topics, so I dont doubt that there will be lots of discrepencies between Wikipedia and the world.

"They cant put anything on the internet that isnt true can they"??

Ill try to help you find your way here but Im surely not going to do your lab book. If I do, I send you an invoice.
0 Replies