ARE WE REALLY CIVILIZED?

Rahat

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 10:20 am
civilization is truly an extremely thin and delicate veneer which could and does easily and all too often rupture allowing the beast that is suppressed to spring forth with a savagery we prefer to pretend has been conquered. So exactly how civilized is our world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 710 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 01:16 pm
@Rahat,
HA MASH GOOD!!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 01:55 pm
@Rahat,
Quote:
So exactly how civilized is our world?
Ra, not very, we're victims all of cause and effect. We suppose ourselves free, but having been born of German ancestry myself in 1930 I wonder if circumstances had ever-so-slightly different and I had been born in Berlin whether I might have become a Hitler Youth, arm outstretched, Heiling our Fearless Leader denouncing the Jew

Part of the problem lies in evolutionary development. When we were cave men the more aggressive becoming the leader in protecting us against intruders from the nearby cave, admired by the girls and so better spreading their seed

….so that threat, conflict, destruction assume the form of fun, we have conflicting values most strikingly demonstrated in the 1941

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

Fear not, however, the fun quickly resumed

…..the brief truce proving later so embarrassing to many that steps were undertaken to prevent such from ever happening again "due to strongly worded orders from the high commands of both sides prohibiting such fraternization"

We're all slaves of determinism
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2013 03:40 pm
@dalehileman,
….having been born in Illinois of German ancestry…...
0 Replies