Strange rock's wedges

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 03:52 pm
What kind of rock could be this and what are these wedges the rock has on it. When I saw them was unavoidable to make an analogy with cuneiform script printed over baken clay tablets. Could be these wedges be human made or are they weathering in origin? http://www.flickr.com/photos/51986587@N04/sets/72157632717451327/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,299 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 04:30 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
Id say that they are depressions caused by weathering of an inclusion (like the fossils). Quite common. There was another guy who came in a few months ago who was trying to convince usthat these were the results of "dinosaurs chewing on the stones" He only thought in one dimension and didnt consider that the rock was being rounded and with its inclusions being weathered at the same time.

The wedges (as you call em) are areas within the rock matrix where the inclusions are less resistant than the surrounding matrix.
I pften use stuff like this in classes to let students try to decipher the entire journey that the rock had taken (what came first and what was last from deposition to rounding of a pebble)
tlatoanitzin

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
Awesome!, making the analogy with clay baked cuneiform tablets, in fact, they are inclusions of an external object, a rush stick for example, which was used for writing over the wet clay, before the tablet was passed through the oven. In the case of the stone, I suppose, when it was melted some external unknown object or thing caused the wedges, by motion of the melted stone or by motion of the inclusionist object, or both. It is possible that the inclusionist object had been attached to the stone, anyway, the roundness indicates certain grade of weathering, that caused the object to detach, and even other wedges to disappear or reduce. This hypothesis satisfies me, but there is another I cannot dismiss, extrusion. Some guys think the wedges or square holes are the result of mineral extrusion by weathering. Although sounding like a different point of view, thinking about it, the square minerals would be the inclusionist object, and then how I supposed the inclusionist object(square minerals in this case) was attached sometime in the past and then became detached by weathering. So in reality it would be like the inclusion hypothesis, lol. But that is just speaking.
33export

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:04 pm
@farmerman,
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8457101060_c0af4a4888.jpg

This one looks like a granite pebble you can find around the Bay of Fundy.
I'll guess those surface nicks used to have grains of quartz, which don't
wear down as readily as mica and feldspar while tumbling about and break loose.
tlatoanitzin

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:18 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
By the way, I googled rock with square hole, then encountered this photo of a martian rock with notches very similar to the stone's. http://aix1.uottawa.ca/~weinberg/mars/spirit_p_014_rock_hole.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 12:32 pm
@33export,
the other member who thought these were "dino teeth marks" didnt have the insight (or experience) that you guys mention. YEs, a harder mineral would last as an inclusion until it gets "plucked " from the rock surface , thus leaving square or angular marks. Another kind is where softer minerals (like calcite) just wash and wash away chemically leaving more rounded depressions.
Its all forensics and you can read 9sorta) the trip that your hand specimen was on till you found it.

What part of the Bay of Fundy ?
33export

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 08:05 am
@farmerman,
On the New Brunswick side: too long ago to remember the place name.

This is what I picked up in there years ago. (The stone, that is) It's
a pink granite.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s467/nekonomad2/nekonomad0575A_zps295e161a.jpg

The shoreline there is for the most part igneous cobblestones. Produced, most likely,
by plate tectonic activity fracturing snd grinding.
33export

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 10:11 am
@33export,
I'll modify that initial hunch re the accumulation of granite cobblestones and attribute most of it to Pleistocene Glaciation.
farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:55 pm
@33export,
Im quite familiar with the geology of the lower Bay of Fundy. It a mish msh of rock unit from the SIlurian through the TRiassic and Jurassic. There are coal measures and sandstones in the lower Western ends of the BAy from Passamaquaoddy to ST Johns. These are interlayered with several volcanic and massif plutonics (the pink grnodiaorite is one)
Ive done fossil hunting in the coal measures round McKay, St Stephen and in the layered triassics around St Andrews.
The Maine side has the earlier rocks of the SIlurian and Devonian. Its a big mush pile from 2 different plate collisions and three continental breakups.

Ever do any looking around the Gypsum Cliffs or Cape Blomadan?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:58 pm
@33export,
everything has been ground up by glaciers and glacial streams in that area, so Its an easy thing to just dimiss it.

I ws once sitting on a huge boulder near La Tette mapping glacial features and I was looking for a series of glacial grooves. I was sitting in ome and didnt see it till I dropped my notebook and the pencil rolled into a huge glacial groove.
0 Replies