At U.N. Family-Planning Talks, U.S. Raises Abortion Issue

au1929

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 08:22 am
[]

At U.N. Family-Planning Talks, U.S. Raises Abortion Issue

By JAMES DAO

WASHINGTON, Dec. 14 — Taking its fight against abortion overseas, the Bush administration opened a sharp debate over a landmark family planning agreement during a United Nations conference this week, angering several of its allies, European and Asian diplomats said today.The skirmish has been taking place at a United Nations regional family planning conference in Bangkok, where the United States has threatened to withdraw its support for a 1994 family planning agreement reached in Cairo that called for bringing population growth under control by improving the legal rights and economic status of women, as well as broadly expanding access to health care.
Is this another of Bush's do it my way or the highway Evil or Very Mad proposals? Apparently he is attempting to make the rest of the world conform to his values related to abortion. These values I might add are not accepted in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/international/15ABOR.html?todaysheadlines
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,218 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Diane

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:26 am
Au1929, this is an ongoing argument that the most conservative element of our government has been making for years.

I think Bush is staying in character by stalling the progress of the UN by his "my way or the highway" attitude, with the addition of his more aggressive, "if you're not with me, you're against me" philosophy since 9/11.

The number of lives lost while he stamps his foot in order to get his way means nothing to him or to the religious right.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:27 am
grrrrrr, Bush will make me nuts
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:41 am
compassionate conservative? or redneck snake handling buffoon?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:13 am
Over U.S. Protest, Asian Group Approves Family Planning Goals

By JAMES DAO

[]ASHINGTON, Dec. 17 — A United Nations regional conference on population issues closed contentiously today, with Asian nations overwhelmingly rejecting efforts by the Bush administration to insert anti-abortion provisions into an international agreement on family planning.
The head of the United States delegation also stirred controversy at the conference, held in Bangkok, by declaring on Monday, "The United States supports the sanctity of life from conception to natural death." Abortion rights groups said the statement overstepped rulings by the Supreme Court that uphold the right to abortion.
I found this statement to be amazing considering the Bush administration purpose in life seems to be to coerse all to do it's bidding.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/18/international/asia/18ABOR.html?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:18 am
Hey, Bush is a firm anti-abortionist. He does not allow logic, reason, or the U.S. Constitution to allow him to waver from that stand. Not good! Evil or Very Mad

I am so glad that his attempt to insert his personal agenda into the agreement was thwarted!
0 Replies