What are these rocks?

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 03:03 pm
What type of rocks are these? They are located in northwestern Mexico. http://www.flickr.com/photos/51986587@N04/8445962537/in/set-72157632689139379/

dalehileman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 03:09 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
I'll bet Farmer will know

If you have access to one, if limestone a drip of diluted HCl will make it fizz

Farm, just how much should we dil

Also wouldn't marble fizz
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:31 pm
@dalehileman,
Its a breccia of some kind, you can see the chunks of angular rock inclusions in the upper right of the outcrop. Id say the veins are calcite. The rest is badly lit and its too hard to clearly pick out anything
HCl should be made up as 0.10 Normal which is roughly a 1:90 dilution. ANYWAY, if its calcite, just bust it up and you can see that it "cleaves" into 3 sided rhombs.
Also, if youve gotta do an acid test, use vinegar, its cheaper and safer. It just wont fizz as violently.

Breccias are good indicators of contact metamorphic rocks and two other kindsa rocks that all can include gold, coppr, and silver .

IS out OP guy from California or Georgia or Arknsas
tlatoanitzin

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
Awesome! it is a breccia. Thank you, guys!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 12:55 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
I better understood stuff like this earlier when a kid but as I recall breccia might consist of fragments of different kinds of rock and so any guesses, esp of the black stuff, might be appreciated
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:06 pm
@dalehileman,
breccia is a textural term. It just means that the rock fragments cemented in the mass , are angulr, not rounded. If the rock fragments were rounded it would be a conglomerate.
We use an adjective of what the fragments are, in this case they look like red sandstone, so itd be an "arkosic Breccia"

Breccia's good enough, wed all know what you meant
0 Replies

tlatoanitzin

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 03:09 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
One of the breccias presented exfoliation. I took a photo of one of the sheets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/51986587@N04/8451820654/in/photostream If most of the rocks around are granite, it could be possible for the breccia to be a granite breccia?, just saying, because the sheet look like granite in part. I have a doubt, the black material of the breccia or of any conglomerate are called xenolith as a general term?
farmerman

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:17 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
I agree that the matrix around the "clasts" seems to be igneous. Its too fine grined for a granite, maybe a granodiorite or diorite. You are also right on that, if the matrix was igneous, then we'd call te clasts of "country rock" XENOLITHS, i cant fully tell whether it is igneous because the clasts (xenoliths) are not "burnt" from being dumped into a molten mass, Clasts in a sedimentary breccia are usually merely "sanded" a bit along their edges and arent burnt (like these appear)
Of course, you cant really tell from a photo so Ill accept your interpretation tht the mass of rock is igneous.

ALSO the "fossils: i te rock mass of the rounded specimen, seem to look like the "edge on" parts of actual shells. Maybe they are brachiopod fossils , we ofetn see them as circles in the country rock because you are looking at the shell edges.

Thanks for the quarters thats what mde me think they are brachs (brchs are usually small critters with clam like shells
rosborne979

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:06 pm
@farmerman,
If there are numerous samples to work with (nothing unique), then he should also be able to break them and maybe get a better look at what's inside. I've seen whole brachiopod fossil shells exposed by breaking the rock.
tlatoanitzin

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 01:51 am
@rosborne979,
I hadn't found other rocks with fossils, so I wouldn't like to break the rock, because is relatively small. Thank you guys, for taking the time to see the photos and share your knowledge, I am very grateful.
0 Replies