Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 09:40 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 580 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:44 pm
I have to admit that there are many Europeans - or, at least, Dutchmen - who are scared of the huge number of Muslims in the Netherlands and Europe. In the Netherlands, 6% of the population is now Muslim (920,000 out of 16,000,000 Dutchmen), and in twenty years it will be the largest religion after Catholicism (in this case Protestantism and Catholicism are seen as two different religions - at this moment there are about 2,400,000 Protestants and 5,000,000 Roman-Catholics in the Netherlands), with up to 2,000,000 Dutch Muslims. Therefore integration is such a "hot" topic here. Analysts say that in 50 years, 1 out of 3 Europeans will be Muslim. At this moment, nearly 50% of the newborns in Amsterdam for example is Muslim. At this moment, the Netherlands has more than 350 mosques.
Personally I think that Muslims are - like everyone - able to adapt to European culture and that they are no treat to us. I can understand that a lot of Europeans fear that they will lose their culture, but that would mean that Muslims would try to make their "own" culture (is there one huge Muslim culture) dominant in Europe. Extremists would probably want that, normal - and the majority of - Muslims not. I think that there lays a big task for non-Muslim Europeans to really try to understand more of the Muslim Europeans, and Muslim Europeans to try understand more the European cultures and people.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:52 pm
The Shareef don't like it....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:17 pm
Some pics from mosues in Germany are HERE.

Most mosques here are without minarett - like the one here, where I live - due to building laws.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 02:49 pm
Nice pictures
0 Replies