Atheist vs believer research

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Let me go even further in response, igm.

I highlighted a portion of your post…you acknowledged that I highlighted it…

…OBVIOUSLY my question goes to that highlighted portion.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Here is what I said the Buddha knows as now agreed by you Frank:

Quote:
igm wrote:

So, that would make teachings on reincarnation a ‘provisional conventional truth’ in my opinion. Reincarnation would not be a ‘conceptual absolute truth’ because the Buddha taught that there is no such truth.

This means that the Buddha taught that reincarnation is not to be taken literally but has only a provisional meaning. He was teaching Hindus who believe that a soul or Atman is reincarnated life after life. He had to gently undermine this mistaken belief with a teaching that was ‘provisional’ by also teaching alongside that, that there is no soul or Atman. So, this was not the ‘absolute truth’ just a ‘provisional’ one. Taught at the beginning but later the deeper understanding of reality i.e. that no soul or atman can go from one life to the next was eventually taught. They could accept this later because they could see the benefit of letting go of the mistaken concept of Atman (the soul) in the light of all the other Buddhist teachings they now knew. Not to mention ‘no caste system’ which was a great bonus for those from a lower Hindu caste?

Below is appended later:

How do I know the Buddha knew this because it's published in his teachings.

What I mean by this statement will obviously have to be explained. He knew that he had to teach Hindus in this way to help them to see there was no Atman.
agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:09 pm
@dalehileman,
they have to, theres many arguments for both sides that cause a person to second guess his own atheistic beliefs.
0 Replies

agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:22 pm
The thing is, your labeled as something, and that is annoying. What matters to me, is whether the person can accept my point of view of why you dont need a status of being a christian, or even a athiest, Cause im neither
Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 01:30 pm
@agreen325i,
so how do you describe yourself spiritually. if someone asks you your religion (the national census form for example) do you leave it blank? of course you end up labelled as something, but then you are always labelled as lots of things. gay/straight? liberal/conservative? unless you see yourself as nothing, then unfortunately we all need to bear labels at some point.

and if someone needs "the status" (some would call it faith) of being whatever, why should they accept your point of view that they dont? to do that would require abandoning their faith, as their faith should be absolute, no matter what anyone else says or else it's invalid.

that's not so say they shouldn't allow you your point of view, but they dont need to accept it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 03:07 pm
@igm,
igm...I am not sure what you are about here, but almost none of the stuff you are discussing here has anything to do with what I asked.

But since you brought these things up:

How do you suppose the Buddha knew that there are no souls...or Atman...or do you suppose he was just guessing?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 04:24 pm
@igm,
Quote:

So you are saying that you KNOW something is true...because the Buddha said it is so.

And you honestly (this is a serious question, igm) think that comment makes sense?????

Quote:

What I mean by this statement will obviously have to be explained. He knew that he had to teach Hindus in this way to help them to see there was no Atman.

What makes you so sure that the Buddha KNEW there was no Atman? What makes you so sure that the Buddha KNEW there is no soul?

How do you get to where you are here?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:05 pm
@igm,
If there is no reincarnation, then why is what "The Buddha" says any any more important than what any other person said over the past 3,500 years?

There have been billions of people around the world that have been saying all sorts of crap. I thought what made "The Buddha" so special was that he had reincarnated so many times that he knew what he was talking about.

It seems to me that without reincarnation, the fundamental idea of Buddhism goes away.

If the Buddha is just another guy spouting off his mouth, then why can't we pick someone more recent and closer to home to blindly follow?

Of course, if "The Buddha" is some magical golden soul reincarnated from goodness then following what he says makes sense. That is, it makes at least as much sense as following a voice from a burning bush, the son of a virgin or a set of golden plates.

0 Replies

igm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I can show you. It started with my post to Max saying that reincarnation is a provisional teaching. Setanta butted in and said I believed in reincarnation. I said it was a provisional teaching. You, Frank didn’t understand that the subject under discussion was reincarnation and believed it was about ‘absolute truth’. You believed that this would enable you to ask how did the Buddha ‘Know’ but you didn’t say exactly what he was knowing. The post you questioned was about reincarnation and how it is a provisional truth and not the absolute truth.

I told you that you had made a mistake and misunderstood. I have now explained what I meant when responded to Set. You have taken a part of what I said ‘out of context’ and tried to make it about absolute truth. I ran with your mistake for quite a while (for which I apologise) today I came back to set the record straight and say exactly what I had meant when I replied to Set and you later jumped in with your mistaken view of what I’d said. The rest is history.

This makes perfect sense if you know the context:

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

So, that would make teachings on reincarnation a ‘provisional conventional truth’ in my opinion. Reincarnation would not be a ‘conceptual absolute truth’ because the Buddha taught that there is no such truth.

This means that the Buddha taught that reincarnation is not to be taken literally but has only a provisional meaning. He was teaching Hindus who believe that a soul or Atman is reincarnated life after life. He had to gently undermine this mistaken belief with a teaching that was ‘provisional’ by also teaching alongside that, that there is no soul or Atman. So, this was not the ‘absolute truth’ just a ‘provisional’ one. Taught at the beginning but later the deeper understanding of reality i.e. that no soul or atman can go from one life to the next was eventually taught. They could accept this later because they could see the benefit of letting go of the mistaken concept of Atman (the soul) in the light of all the other Buddhist teachings they now knew. Not to mention ‘no caste system’ which was a great bonus for those from a lower Hindu caste?

Below is appended later:

That Frank is where it all came from and you just plain made a mistake…sorry about that!

This is the history of the whole thing:
igm wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Buddhism is a religion.

You are somewhat correct; some (but not all) people say Buddhism is a religion. As you point out whether it is a religion or not it is atheist.
maxdancona wrote:

It is a world view that is based on "truths" that are accepted without being proven.

In my opinion, the goal of Buddhism is to understand that there is no such thing as conceptual ‘absolute truth’, because believing there is such a thing, is a fundamental source of suffering. Conventionally the Buddha taught ‘provisional conventional truths’ to undermine beliefs in grosser forms of belief but they were stepping-stones to refuting the belief that there is such a thing as a conceptual absolute truth.

It is understandable that you as a non-Buddhist would believe your statements are correct as do many others, even many Buddhists who have not studied the philosophical texts which deal with such things.

So, you have every reason to say what you’ve said but ultimately it is incorrect… IMHO.

igm wrote:

As I said above (previous post) I believe:

Conventionally the Buddha taught ‘provisional conventional truths’ to undermine beliefs in grosser forms of belief but they were stepping-stones to refuting the belief that there is such a thing as a conceptual absolute truth.

Your post is understandable, my opinion now is what I've said in the post above. If I was unclear in the past then I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Setanta wrote:

What an accomplished dancer! Are you saying now that you do not believe that reincarnation occurs?

igm wrote:

Set, I stand by my reply to Max above and only by that reply; everything I said last year or in previous years is superseded by that reply. So, that would make teachings on reincarnation a ‘provisional conventional truth’ in my opinion. Reincarnation would not be a ‘conceptual absolute truth’ because the Buddha taught that there is no such truth and to believe that there is, can be extremely problematic. At least, that is how I now understand it. I don’t speak for other Buddhists; I am only speaking about my personal understanding of the Buddha’s teachings.

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Set, I stand by my reply to Max above and only by that reply; everything I said last year or in previous years is superseded by that reply. So, that would make teachings on reincarnation a ‘provisional conventional truth’ in my opinion. Reincarnation would not be a ‘conceptual absolute truth’ because the Buddha taught that there is no such truth and to believe that there is, can be extremely problematic. At least, that is how I now understand it. I don’t speak for other Buddhists; I am only speaking about my personal understanding of the Buddha’s teachings.

Do you have any idea of how the Buddha KNOWS this...or do you suppose the Buddha was just guessing?

igm wrote:

We are already way off topic with these posts, so create a new topic about this and I'll post some of my thoughts on this subject as I hope will others… if you'd like to of course.

igm wrote:

Do I believe the attempt to tell you would help you in any way? I'm yet to be convinced from your past posts. If you can convince me then I'd try but I believe it would be a waste of time... both mine and yours... I have of course spotted your recurring argument... you know your agnostic argument.

If you really want my response to your question, PM me. I wish you all the best Frank but my gut says you're not really interested in what I have to say only your replies.

igm wrote:

Your conclusion does not follow from my post but that's probably not the point of your post is it? I did say it would take you probably years to even understand the full import of what the Buddha taught on wisdom and I could not hope to convey it in a single post. You as usual have rushed to the wrong conclusion.

Let's not waste any more of our time. You can maintain that you are correct and then there's no harm done to your ego.

Also, I'm perfectly happy thanks for your concern.

If my style of debate seem 'testy' to you then I apologise I was just being direct and open with a Frank Apisa I know only too well... it saves time Smile

Frank Apisa wrote:

Oops, igm...you are absolutely correct. I made a mistake. I screwed up with the word order. Apologies.

May I prevail on you to change the order of the words...and respond to the post as though they had been written in the correct order!

Frank Apisa wrote:

You are the one nitpicking about semantics, igm...I am not. You are the one evading answering questions...I am not.

Quote:
And your rebuttal is?

Why should I rebut something that apparently is a point of contention between you and Setanta?

igm wrote:

Frank, I'm willing to try to answer your question to this post if you'd like? I wanted to go through it step by step but I'll answer 'your' concerns about the post you questioned.

Here it is, with the text 'you' enlarged in order to draw my attention to it:

Quote:

Let's start afresh and just stick to the subject itself leaving out any peripheral comments about Buddhism or ourselves... I await your reply...

Frank Apisa wrote:

I agree to your terms, igm, and I am delighted we are going to discuss the issue.

Let's have at it.

And I think a great place to begin would be for you to deal with the question I asked about the text you quoted (which was your text, with my emphasis).

My question was:

Quote:
Do you have any idea of how the Buddha KNOWS this...or do you suppose the Buddha was just guessing?

If, by the way, you think that not the best place to start...start where you will...as long as you agree that we will come back to that question--which is the primary reason I came to this thread in the first place.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I agree to your terms, igm, and I am delighted we are going to discuss the issue.

My question was:

Quote:

Here is what I said the Buddha knows:

igm wrote:

Do we agree?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

Are you asking if I agree that you wrote that...or are you asking if I agree that the Buddha knows there are no conceptual absolute truths?

If the former...I agree.

If the later...not on a bet. That, obviously was the reason for my original question.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

Are you asking if I agree that you wrote that...

I’m asking you to confirm that when I say that the Buddha ‘knows’ something that it is that passage that I’m referring to.

The reason I’m asking is that you said:

Quote:

We are just agreeing on what you meant by ‘KNOWS’ as you didn’t specify.

So we are agreed… yes?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
So we are agreed… yes?

I've already answered that. Please go on to whatever point you are trying to make.

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

+++++++++++++
Frank Apisa wrote:

I can show you. It started with my post to Max saying that reincarnation is a provisional teaching. Setanta butted in and said I believed in reincarnation. I said it was a provisional teaching. You, Frank didn’t understand that the subject under discussion was reincarnation and believed it was about ‘absolute truth’. You believed that this would enable you to how did the Buddha ‘Know’ but you didn’t say what exactly. The post you questioned was about reincarnation and how it is a provisional truth and not the absolute truth.
I told you that you had made a mistake and misunderstood I have now explained what I meant when responded to Set. You have taken a part of what I said ‘out of context’ and tried to make it about absolute truth. I ran with your mistake for quite a while (for which I apologise) today I came back to set the record straight and say exactly what I had meant when I replied to Set and you jumped in with your mistaken view of what I’d said. The rest is history.
igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

That Frank is where it all came from and you just plain made a mistake…sorry about that!
igm wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Buddhism is a religion.

You are somewhat correct; some (but not all) people say Buddhism is a religion. As you point out whether it is a religion or not it is atheist.
maxdancona wrote:

It is a world view that is based on "truths" that are accepted without being proven.

In my opinion, the goal of Buddhism is to understand that there is no such thing as conceptual ‘absolute truth’, because believing there is such a thing, is a fundamental source of suffering. Conventionally the Buddha taught ‘provisional conventional truths’ to undermine beliefs in grosser forms of belief but they were stepping-stones to refuting the belief that there is such a thing as a conceptual absolute truth.

It is understandable that you as a non-Buddhist would believe your statements are correct as do many others, even many Buddhists who have not studied the philosophical texts which deal with such things.

So, you have every reason to say what you’ve said but ultimately it is incorrect… IMHO.

igm wrote:

Conventionally the Buddha taught ‘provisional conventional truths’ to undermine beliefs in grosser forms of belief but they were stepping-stones to refuting the belief that there is such a thing as a conceptual absolute truth.

Your post is understandable, my opinion now is what I've said in the post above. If I was unclear in the past then I apologise for any misunderstanding.

Setanta wrote:

What an accomplished dancer! Are you saying now that you do not believe that reincarnation occurs?

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

igm wrote:

We are already way off topic with these posts, so create a new topic about this and I'll post some of my thoughts on this subject as I hope will others… if you'd like to of course.

igm wrote:

Do I believe the attempt to tell you would help you in any way? I'm yet to be convinced from your past posts. If you can convince me then I'd try but I believe it would be a waste of time... both mine and yours... I have of course spotted your recurring argument... you know your agnostic argument.

If you really want my response to your question, PM me. I wish you all the best Frank but my gut says you're not really interested in what I have to say only your replies.

igm wrote:

Your conclusion does not follow from my post but that's probably not the point of your post is it? I did say it would take you probably years to even understand the full import of what the Buddha taught on wisdom and I could not hope to convey it in a single post. You as usual have rushed to the wrong conclusion.

Let's not waste any more of our time. You can maintain that you are correct and then there's no harm done to your ego.

If my style of debate seem 'testy' to you then I apologise I was just being direct and open with a Frank Apisa I know only too well... it saves time Smile

Frank Apisa wrote:

Oops, igm...you are absolutely correct. I made a mistake. I screwed up with the word order. Apologies.

May I prevail on you to change the order of the words...and respond to the post as though they had been written in the correct order!

Frank Apisa wrote:

You are the one nitpicking about semantics, igm...I am not. You are the one evading answering questions...I am not.

Quote:
And your rebuttal is?

Why should I rebut something that apparently is a point of contention between you and Setanta?

igm wrote:

Frank, I'm willing to try to answer your question to this post if you'd like? I wanted to go through it step by step but I'll answer 'your' concerns about the post you questioned.

Quote:

Let's start afresh and just stick to the subject itself leaving out any peripheral comments about Buddhism or ourselves... I await your reply...

Frank Apisa wrote:

Let's have at it.

And I think a great place to begin would be for you to deal with the question I asked about the text you quoted (which was your text, with my emphasis).

My question was:

Quote:

If, by the way, you think that not the best place to start...start where you will...as long as you agree that we will come back to that question--which is the primary reason I came to this thread in the first place.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

My question was:

Quote:

igm wrote:

Do we agree?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

Are you asking if I agree that you wrote that...or are you asking if I agree that the Buddha knows there are no conceptual absolute truths?

If the former...I agree.

If the later...not on a bet. That, obviously was the reason for my original question.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

I’m asking you to confirm that when I say that the Buddha ‘knows’ something that it is that passage that I’m referring to.

Quote:

So we are agreed… yes?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
So we are agreed… yes?

I've already answered that. Please go on to whatever point you are trying to make.

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 05:53 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5246124)
Frank Apisa wrote:

I can show you. It started with my post to Max saying that reincarnation is a provisional teaching. Setanta butted in and said I believed in reincarnation. I said it was a provisional teaching. You, Frank didn’t understand that the subject under discussion was reincarnation and believed it was about ‘absolute truth’.

I did not in any way misunderstand what was happening.

I simply was interested in one facet of the discussion that was taking place...and I questioned you about that facet.

You still have not reasonably replied to that question.

Quote:

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

igm wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Buddhism is a religion.

maxdancona wrote:

igm wrote:

Setanta wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

If my style of debate seem 'testy' to you then I apologise I was just being direct and open with a Frank Apisa I know only too well... it saves time

Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
And your rebuttal is?

igm wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Let's have at it.

My question was:

Quote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

My question was:

Quote:

igm wrote:

Do we agree?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

If the former...I agree.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

Quote:

So we are agreed… yes?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
So we are agreed… yes?

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

+++++++++++++
Frank Apisa wrote:

I can show you. It started with my post to Max saying that reincarnation is a provisional teaching. Setanta butted in and said I believed in reincarnation. I said it was a provisional teaching. You, Frank didn’t understand that the subject under discussion was reincarnation and believed it was about ‘absolute truth’. You believed that this would enable you to how did the Buddha ‘Know’ but you didn’t say what exactly. The post you questioned was about reincarnation and how it is a provisional truth and not the absolute truth.
I told you that you had made a mistake and misunderstood I have now explained what I meant when responded to Set. You have taken a part of what I said ‘out of context’ and tried to make it about absolute truth. I ran with your mistake for quite a while (for which I apologise) today I came back to set the record straight and say exactly what I had meant when I replied to Set and you jumped in with your mistaken view of what I’d said. The rest is history.
igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

igm wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

Buddhism is a religion.

maxdancona wrote:

igm wrote:

Setanta wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

If my style of debate seem 'testy' to you then I apologise I was just being direct and open with a Frank Apisa I know only too well... it saves time

Frank Apisa wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
And your rebuttal is?

igm wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Let's have at it.

My question was:

Quote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

My question was:

Quote:

igm wrote:

Do we agree?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

If the former...I agree.

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Do we agree?

I am not really sure.

Quote:

So we are agreed… yes?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
So we are agreed… yes?

igm wrote:

Quote:
igm wrote:

Below is appended later:

That still doesn't answer the question. But I am willing to forgo the question for the moment in favor of my new questions.

What makes you so sure that the Buddha KNEW there was no Atman? What makes you so sure that the Buddha KNEW there is no soul?
igm

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You made a mistake Frank. Admit it and I'll look at your 'new' questions. We carefully went through each post together and I gave you a reply that was in context with the history of the post 'before' you entered my post with Set. You misunderstood the context and asked the wrong question and without mentioning the subject, paraphrased: 'Just how does he 'KNOW that', this was unclear to others but obviously clear to you... a simple mistake.

I ran with your misunderstanding and as I say I apologise for that. But now I have explained myself clearly. So admit your mistake Frank and I'll be happy to answer your 'new' questions.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:46 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5246196)
You made a mistake Frank.

I did NOT make a mistake. I was interested in one thing...and I have told you that over and over.

I am not interested in bashing Buddhism; I am not interested in the matter you were discussing with Setanta...and I am not even interested in what Buddha said.

I am interested in what YOU think about what the Buddha said about Ultimate REALITY issues.

I have been very clear about that from the beginning. I have mentioned that on several occasions.

Stop saying I made a mistake...I did not.

Quote:
Admit it and I'll look at your 'new' questions.

Look at my new questions...or do not look at my new questions as you see fit. You keep making conditions on how you will deal with my questions. I am not about to submit to those conditions. If you want to deal with my questions...do so; if you do not...do not.

Quote:
We carefully went through each post together and I gave you a reply that was in context with the history of the post 'before' you entered my post with Set. You misunderstood the context and asked the wrong question and without mentioning the subject, paraphrased: 'Just how does he 'KNOW that', this was unclear to others but obviously clear to you... a simple mistake.

I did not make a mistake. I was not interested in any of that other stuff. When you wrote that the Buddha taught there was no conceptual absolute truth…I asked if YOU had any idea of how the Buddha KNEW that. I never varied for one instant from that. I was interested in YOUR take on what the Buddha said. I acknowledged immediately that this was a question about ONE OF THE ISSUES RAISED…not about all of the issues raised.

I have been completely consistent about my position on this from the very first post I made, igm...and you are not going to distort that in order to continue to duck the question.

You tried to duck the question in several different ways…and apparently are trying to duck it again.

Quote:
I ran with your misunderstanding and as I say I apologise for that. But now I have explained myself clearly. So admit your mistake Frank and I'll be happy to answer your 'new' questions.

Answer it or do not answer it. I am NOT going to say I was mistaken, because I was not. This entire line of discussion is nothing more than an attempt to derail the discussion.

In the meantime, if you want to actually deal with the questions, they pretty much reduce to:

How, in YOUR estimation, do you think the Buddha KNEW that there is no conceptual absolute truth?

How, in YOUR estimation, do you think the Buddha KNEW that humans do not have souls?

How, in YOUR estimation, do you think the Buddha KNEW that there is no such thing as reincarnation?

Frankly, the only logical way of dealing with them is to acknowledge that probably he did not KNOW any of those things...he guessed them to be true...he "believed" them to be true. And since I do not expect you ever to acknowledge that, I suspect you will continue to dodge the questions.

But I'll be here for you if you do want to deal with them, igm.
MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
The point I was trying to make regarding dualism is that it cannot elucidate all true propositions. I make no claim that non-dualism can do this. I mentioned quantum mechanics as an allegory because it shows a challenge to dualistic epistemology. A more explicit refutation comes from the work of Kurt Godel:

Logic itself was demonstrated to be incomplete in its ability to demonstrate all truths even within its own domain by Kurt Godel in 1931:

"Any effectively generated theory capable of expressing elementary arithmetic cannot be both consistent and complete. In particular, for any consistent, effectively generated formal theory that proves certain basic arithmetic truths, there is an arithmetical statement that is true, but not provable in the theory."

I am not claiming that logic has no virtue, but it is demonstrably incapable of recognizing ALL truth.
In fact it was proven so
LOGICALLY.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

By the way, the concept of non-dualism comes from an eastern religious tradition even older than Buddhism. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a philosophical concept with a sound epistemological underpinning. It is in fact, entirely the product of the hermeneutics of Hindu mysticism.

How do the origins of non-dualism have a bearing on it's epistemological value?
MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 07:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Matt...I understand non-dualism. That, most assuredly is not the reason this discussion is occurring.

I am sorry that in hazarding a guess as to the crux of the disagreement, I was inaccurate. There had been no previous mention of non-dualism in your lengthy and seemingly non-productive argument with "igm".
My intention was to help clarify the disagreement, not to espouse a specific agenda. It seemed to me that "igm" was holding a non-dualistic epistemology, but was having trouble communicating that to you and Setanta.
Frank Apisa wrote:
But if you are going to assert that the Ultimate REALITY is non-dualism...you should be prepared to come with lots of ammunition...unless you are doing it just for laughs.

I made no such assertion.
Frank Apisa wrote:
If, in fact, the language actually is the problem...rather than the concept being conveyed...then you people should simply stop using language.

Setting the "you people" notion aside as being inadvertently dismissive and prejudiced;
The point I was attempting to make is that dualism and language does have problems. Again I made no claim that non-dualism is without problems, nor did I claim that dualism and language are without virtue (in fact in other posts I explicitly stated this).
I would welcome a discussion of the specific problems for dualism epistimology. The two that I have mentioned are the Uncertainty Principle in quantum mechanics and the Incompleteness Theorem in mathematics and formal logic.
Frank Apisa wrote:
That has its counterpart in Christianity. All you have to do to be sure GOD EXISTS...is to have "faith."
You are dressing up guesses...that is all you are doing.

I don't really know which "guesses" you are referring to. Are you referring to either of the two problems I mentioned again in this post?
agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:19 pm
@Berty McJock,
well, i didnt explain "the status" things enough then..and i wont because well, its obviously not the right thing to say, so i will keep it to myself.

Well, im spiritual. So, theres a catagory for that.
agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:24 pm
im learning a very terrifying thing though with all of this, its important that you accept others, and what they believe, even if its from a different book, and to not judge others. even the bible says not to judge one another.
0 Replies

agreen325i

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:26 pm
life sucks when your paranoid of someone elses different beliefs.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:35 pm
@agreen325i,
lol...category...nicely sidestepped Razz
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 08:36 pm
people are entitled to their beliefs.
as long as no-one tries to force theirs on me, i'm quite prepared to listen to them, and will respect their beliefs.