Atheist vs believer research

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:18 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
"…..angry" bullshit gets tedious . . .
Most sincere apologies to any participants feeling obligated to follow my postings. By no means however should you feel compelled to do so

Quote:
Most atheists have nothing to say to you, it's just the loud-mouths you hear from, so it's foolish to assume that they represent all atheists.
Could well be; as my impression is drawn from the Internet forum, to which, it seems, the angry are so attracted

…present company excepted, of course

Quote:
When the god botherers come to the door, i quickly and politely get rid of them.
The last time I was so visited I invited them up onto our deck, where we keep tables and chairs for the purpose, discussing with them for the better part of an hour the differences between my apodictical existential pantheism and their conventional concepts of Her existence. We parted with satisfaction on both sides, noting a close approach in some instances. I only wish now that I had offered them refreshments

Next time...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:43 pm
It sure is easy to come up with what appears to be a reasonable response if you first do a hatchet job on what i've written. Of course i'm not obliged to respond to what you post. However, as you and i are not the only ones who read here, if i think what you've posted is bullshit, i'm going to point it out. Get over it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we have to pay 200$ an oz for british brains. You know how many Brits brains it takes to make an ounce?

This one won't set you back much.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
…...hatchet job on what i've written.
In what way praytell

You might be inferring something not intended, in which case my most sincere apologies

Quote:
Of course i'm not obliged to respond to what you post.
Of course not

Quote:
…..if i think what you've posted is bullshit, i'm going to point it out.
Yes it's allowed

Quote:
Get over it.
You seem angry

Why
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Childish bullshit . . . you can't hear my voice, you can't see my face or my posture. Assuming that i'm angry is just a puerile attempt to suggest that i am motivated by emotion rather than considered thought, while you are the voice of cool, calm, sweet reason.

My experience of the drivel you customarily post suggests to me that nothing could be further from the truth.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:36 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
…..while you are the voice of cool, calm, sweet reason.
Oh not at all

But I ry to contain the occasional reaction

Tho aren't we just a little OT
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 03:38 pm
Rather, you attempt to suggest that others cannot "contain" themselves, and thereby attempt to devalue what they have to say. Drivel, as always . . .
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 05:13 pm
@Germanicus,
Germanicus wrote:
. . . one of the atheists quoted research . . .
. . . The atheists were said to . . .
. . . Do you know who made this research - I believe it came from a
respected research body?
I know that a leading, American born, scientist said . . .
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 11:44 pm
@Germanicus,
http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedImages/Topics/Issues/Social_Welfare/chaplains-chp4-2.png
http://www.pewforum.org/social-welfare/prison-chaplains-perspectives.aspx

Protestant 51.3%, Roman Catholic 23.9%, Mormon 1.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Jewish 1.7%, Buddhist 0.7%, Muslim 0.6%, other or unspecified 2.5%, unaffiliated 12.1%, none 4% (2007 est.)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html
A two minute search proves you aren't much of a researcher and your question is bunk.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 10:52 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
The goal of Buddhism is to understand that there is no such thing as conceptual ‘absolute truth’, because believing there is such a thing, is a fundamental source of suffering.

Quote:
It is understandable that you as a non-Buddhist would believe your statements are correct as do many others, even many Buddhists who have not studied the philosophical texts which deal with such things.

So, you have every reason to say what you’ve said but ultimately it is incorrect…

These two quotes are contradictory.

I’d say that the two quotes you refer to cannot function as a contradiction since the two quotes are not related in a way that can give rise to a contradiction. So I’m denying there is a contradiction and I’m saying that the meaning of the two quotes cannot function as a contradiction.

If due to your past dislike of me or your all too obvious, past dislike of Buddhism have led you to attempt to ‘wind me up’ or some such thing, then I’m sorry you feel that way about me and about Buddhism. If this isn’t the case then if you can explain what contradiction there actually is between those two quotes, please explain and I will examine your reply.

I of course apologise if my past posts and your reaction to them, have led unintentionally to your regular past snipes at Buddhism.
igm

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 11:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What an accomplished dancer! Are you saying now that you do not believe that reincarnation occurs?

I will be happy to tell you whether I believe reincarnation occurs when you explain your understanding of reincarnation. I will then be in a position to give you an answer. I would not ask this if I could be sure your understanding and mine were identical. I think it is obvious that if we have a different understanding of Buddhist reincarnation then my answer could lead to more confusion on your part.

I do believe I have inferred the answer in my previous posts above and if you’re not really interested in an answer but just wish to try to rubbish Buddhism because of your all to obvious dislike of it and me when I’m posting about Buddhism then it’s probably better to do something else with – what is for all of us – a short life.

I’d like to apologise if my style of debate in the past has hurt your feelings.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 03:06 pm
@igm,
Nothing you say or do "hurts [my] feelings," you're just not that important. You needn't continue, you've demonstrated to my satisfaction that you are a practitioner of superstition.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2013 09:00 pm
@igm,
I don't have any personal dislike of you.

Buddhism, to me, is just another religion. It purports to have some sort of truth that leads to a better life, just like all of the other religions. Buddhist beliefs, from reincarnation to ideas about suffering, are just as illogical (to any outsider) as any other religious beliefs. And, looking at Buddhist countries, it doesn't seem much of an improvement to any other religion. And Buddhist fanatics are just as scary and deadly as any other fanatics.

It is all the same.

The idea that Buddhism is somehow superior, or even different, to any of the other religions irks me a bit. But then similar claims from Muslims or Christians or any other religious group irk me the same.

So don't take it personally.

igm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't have any personal dislike of you.

So don't take it personally.

If you re-read my post you’ll see I didn’t write that you did and I can put your mind at rest, I’m not taking your comments personally. Thanks for your concern but it’s unnecessary.

You haven’t explained your ‘contradiction’ claim. I guess now you have reread what I said you can no longer see one.

You say you don’t like Buddhist beliefs but I’d say you don’t know enough about them to be able to comment on them. You are commenting on your limited understanding of what you believe Buddhism is. This is not uncommon but it isn’t a basis for knowing you are correct in your assertions.

maxdancona wrote:

And Buddhist fanatics are just as scary and deadly as any other fanatics.

This is an example of your misguided view of Buddhism. Even ‘outsiders’ as you put it, don’t commonly label Buddhists as ‘scary and deadly fanatics’ in fact it is the exact opposite. Your woeful lack of knowledge regarding Buddhism would be fine if you kept it to yourself but to propagate it on this forum is disrespectful at the very least. The Buddha is known for teachings on loving kindness and compassion towards all people and the wish to show them how to reduce their suffering. Nowhere does it teach in a way that would produce Buddhists who could be classed as scary deadly fanatics, yet you somehow have dreamed them up. I’m sure you probably realise this… so I’ll leave it to others to decide why you would say such a thing.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:25 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
This is an example of your misguided view of Buddhism. Even ‘outsiders’ as you put it, don’t commonly label Buddhists as ‘scary and deadly fanatics’ in fact it is the exact opposite. Your woeful lack of knowledge regarding Buddhism would be fine if you kept it to yourself but to propagate it on this forum is disrespectful at the very least. The Buddha is known for teachings on loving kindness and compassion towards all people and the wish to show them how to reduce their suffering. Nowhere does it teach in a way that would produce Buddhists who could be classed as scary deadly fanatics, yet you somehow have dreamed them up. I’m sure you probably realise this… so I’ll leave it to others to decide why you would say such a thing.

Both Jesus and the Prophet Mohammed preached love and understanding but that doesn't stop that message being perverted by those who claim to be following their teachings. Buddhism is no different, look at what's happening in Burma/Myanmar.

Quote:
Violence between Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims in Burma's Rakhine region erupted in June after the alleged rape and murder of a Buddhist girl by Muslim men. The scale of violence has led to scores of deaths and the mass displacement of tens of thousands of people. After a state of emergency was declared in the province, the entry of Burma's security forces lent another dimension to this conflict. Amnesty International said in early August that Rakhine Buddhists, together with security forces, purposefully meted out devastating violence against the Muslim minority.

This violence is only the latest chapter in a long history of state-sponsored repression against the Rohingya. It began when Burma began its project of "Burmanisation" in the 1950s, with its lofty aims for racial purity and the nationalisation of resources following the end of British rule. The minority was targeted in pogroms in 1978, stripped of their citizenship in 1982 and became the perfect foil for rampant human rights abuse, including slave labour and torture, that led to a second exodus into Bangladesh in 1991-1992.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/14/burma-violence-muslim-rohingya-refugees
igm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:34 am
@izzythepush,
You’re getting Buddhism and ‘angry people’ mixed up. Buddhism is not at fault in your example but ‘anger’ is. Your comments are understandable because many people make the same mistake. But Buddhism is not at fault here; uncontrolled emotion is. Buddhism teaches how to control anger, but as the saying goes ‘you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink’.

You must of course realize that Burma is ruled by a military junta and Aung San Suu Kyi won the Nobel Peace Prize - an example of those not encouraged to act by the junta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San_Suu_Kyi
Kolyo

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:45 am
@igm,
The lessons of the Buddha might not be to blame for the violence, but Buddhists clearly were, and they definitely saw themselves as good Buddhists when they "meted out devastating violence" on the Muslim minority. They spared themselves and other good Buddhists.
igm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:47 am
@izzythepush,
Post above amended.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:54 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

they definitely saw themselves as good Buddhists... They spared themselves and other good Buddhists.

You cannot know this, so why do you say it? If someone acts against the tenets of Buddhism they are not Buddhist. They acted against them so at the time they were not Buddhist and until they regret their actions they will remain lapsed Buddhists. Those who do not regret their actions are just 'angry lost people'.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2013 04:58 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

You’re getting Buddhism and ‘angry people’ mixed up. Buddhism is not at fault in your example but ‘anger’ is.

You could just as easily say Christianity/Islam/Hinduism is not at fault but 'anger' is.

You're trying to make a special case for Buddhism, in the same way Priests make special cases for Christianity, Mullahs make special cases for Islam etc etc.

Personally I wouldn't blame anger, but intolerance, and a conviction that your way of thinking/lifestyle is the correct one.