strange rock formations

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:44 pm
I live near diamond valley lake in Winchester ca. while digging in the late 90's they discovered a lot of fossils, a big find of mammoths, saber tooth, dire wolves etc. they say one of the largest mammoths ever found in north America. larger concentration of fossils then the la brea tar pits. I live about a mile from there. I take my dog out walking near my house and there are outcrops of boulders all over. I walked up into one and the rocks where very strange. they are regular quartz, black and white speckled. huge boulders, but they all have these other smaller rocks stuck in them. they are like lava rock, some are smooth others look more like typical lava rock. some are embedded deep some stick out. it makes the boulders look like choc chip cookies or something. i'm used to seeing the black quartz, I grew up in the mountains but I've never seen anything like this. why are they like that? what kind of rock could it be and what would cause that to happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 854 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:24 pm
@blynjosf,
Bly, you're in luck as a2k boasts several rockhounds. Can you provide a snapshot

Description helps too, like: glassy, rough, heavy, soft (easily scratched), metallic looking, etc etc etc
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 09:21 pm
@blynjosf,
without seeing it, Id venture a guess that its one of two things(If, of course you are correct that its mostly quartz with inclusions of other minerals)
If the secondary minerals are "Light colored Alkali feldspars" and greater than 40% It could be an ALASKITE.

If the minerals are of a dark variety and they are lower in concentration, it could be a "bull quartz with inclusions"

If you could post a picture I can probably identify it fairly easily
0 Replies