Who’s watching our Presidents Inauguration this Monday?

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 09:42 pm
Is the doofus CJ of the SC going to **** up the oath of office again by trying to show off his grammar skills?

Quote:

50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice

The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

http://chronicle.com/article/50-Years-of-Stupid-Grammar/25497
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:58 am
I have to be gone until about 12:15 Central Time. I haven't checked the time for any events today.
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Our brunch starts at 10:00 EST and it last for three hours. We probably won’t stay that long, I’ve seen the guest list and that obnoxious Anthony will be attending.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 08:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Reuters: Here is a guide to the main inauguration events. All times are Eastern Time.

9.a.m.

Former presidents, House of Representatives members, senators, governors and Cabinet designees begin to arrive at the U.S. Capitol for the public, ceremonial inauguration of President Obama and Vice President Biden.

9:30 a.m.

Fifth-grade chorus from Public School 22 in Staten Island, New York performs

10 a.m.

U.S. Marine Band performs

11:14 a.m.

First lady Michelle Obama takes her seat

11:18 a.m.

Vice President Joe Biden takes his seat

11:20 a.m.

President Barack Obama takes his seat

11:35 a.m.

Myrlie Evers-Williams, widow of slain civil-rights leader Medgar Evers, gives the invocation

11:38 a.m.

The Brooklyn (New York) Tabernacle Choir sings "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"

11:46 a.m.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor administers the vice presidential oath of office to Vice President Biden

11:50 a.m.

Singer James Taylor performs "America the Beautiful"

11:55 a.m.

U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts administers the presidential oath of office to President Obama
11:56 a.m.

Trumpets perform "Ruffles and Flourishes" and the U.S. Marine Band performs "Hail to the Chief," followed by a 21-gun salute

12 p.m.

Obama delivers the inaugural address

12:21 p.m.

Singer Kelly Clarkson performs "America (My Country 'Tis of Thee)"

12:26 p.m.

Cuban-American poet Richard Blanco reads a poem

12:30 p.m.

Benediction is delivered by the Rev. Luis Leon

12:34 p.m.

Singer Beyonce sings the national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner"

12:39 p.m.

President Obama signs official documents. The Obamas then attend the inauguration luncheon at the Capitol with the Bidens

2:32 p.m.

Review of the troops

2:36 p.m.

The Obamas and Bidens begin the inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House
6 p.m.

Commander-in-chief's inaugural ball at the Washington Convention Center with military personnel and their spouses. The Obamas and Bidens are scheduled to attend.

6:30 p.m.

Official Inaugural Ball, at the Washington Convention Center. The Obamas and Bidens are scheduled to attend.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 22

10:30

National Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral attended by President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:13 pm
This President is a humanitarian!

"We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth."
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:21 pm
@jcboy,
"Name calling should not be confused with reasoned debate"
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm
@farmerman,
HAHA, if he were 20 years younger I'd date him Wink
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 12:28 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:

Maybe, maybe not.
The speech he spews for his inaugural address, much like all speeches from politicians, is written and rehearsed in advance with a goal of garnering the most applause and cheers.

Quote:
that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall;

Considering how long it took for him to acknowledge the basic right of homosexuals to marry, (and even now I felt it was a political maneuver at least in part) I am nauseated by his use of Stonewall.

I wish the man well in these next 4 years and hope he can become an actual leader and genuine communicator.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:42 pm
I just want to see if I know how to do this now. Pls bear with me.

Highlights of the inauguration are found here
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
sonuvagun! It works!
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yep, you did good Cool Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 05:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It works!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:19 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:

He's a propagandist, just like every other prez, JC.

Quote:
to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth."

If that had the slightest measure of truth in it, the USA wouldn't have been, wouldn't be, the biggest supporter of brutal dictators around the globe.

If that had the slightest measure of truth in it, Obama would have had Bush, Cheney and the gang arrested and shipped off to the ICC.

It matters not whether it comes from Dems or Repugs, you're much too bright to be swallowing this bullshit, JC.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:38 pm
It was a nice brunch, thanks for coming.

Obama's two daughters , my how they have grown into two beautiful young ladies.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:50 pm
... but the spell was broken.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:46 am
Quote:
During his speech, Obama argued that America was "not a nation of takers." That rhetoric of makers and takers, frequently employed by the former Republican vice presidential nominee, came under scrutiny during the 2012 election. Many interpreted Obama's mention of "takers" as pointed criticism of Ryan and his political ideology.

When asked about Obama's comment, Ryan said the president had used rhetoric to muddy the GOP's position on entitlements.

"No one is suggesting that what we call our earned entitlements -- entitlements you pay for, like payroll takes for Medicare and Social Security -- are putting you in a 'taker' category," he said.

"When the president does a switcheroo like that, what he's trying to say is that we are maligning these programs that people have earned throughout their working lives," Ryan said. "It's kind of a convenient twist of terms to try and shadowbox a straw man in order to win an argument by default."

However, as Nick Baumann of Mother Jones points out, Ryan has repeatedly included government benefits such as Medicare and Social Security when using the phrase "makers and takers."

source
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 10:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"Name calling should not be confused with reasoned debate"

It's a shame that Obama practices the opposite of what he preaches.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:01 pm
@H2O MAN,
I really think that you are the perfect example of what the president meant on that statement.

PS, why did we need to have 2 inaugurations? Why couldnt they have just done it all on Sunday as the Constitution describes? The whole Monday thing was a lip synch (with exception of JAmes Taylor)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 05:16 pm
The guy's got over 1400 more days in his second terms to jut his chin towards the sky and channel Il Duce; you'd think he could devote one lousy speech to trying to inspire and unify all Americans, instead of taking cheap shots at his opponents.

The speech was pugnacious, and graceless but just what his progressive audience ordered.

In a country that is divided along tribalist lines he sees himself as the chief of the most powerful.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 07:43 pm
Some jackass being interviewed on Fox News is trying to make a big deal out of the fact that Beyoncé lip-synced to a prerecorded performance of the national anthem. Even Bill O'Reilly is essentially telling this guy to shut the hell up. If O'Reilly doesn't even want to make it a controversy, then everyone should just move on.