Am I Going To Stay A Newbie Forever?

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 04:01 pm
I have this cute little avatar. Over it, and under my name is the word "newbie". How involved do I have do get in this forum until I am no longer considered a newbie? Or is the appellation time limited? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,094 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 04:16 pm
If you click on the rank image you will be taken to a thread where the ranks will eventually be explained in detail.

I'll also add a page that will show all the ranks and how they work.

But for now I'll explain here (for now because this may be changed in the future).

The ranks are based on how many posts you make (unless you get a rank like moderator or editor, those "special" ranks are not determined by posts). For the "special" ranks talk to the lead moderator (jespah). I
just want to code and develop the site, I'll leave all the tricky business to her (talk about passing the buck!).

Here is how it's setup right now, this is temporary and will probably change (I set it up quickly so I could test the rank feature).

Rank name and posts needed to get there.

Just Hatched 0
Newbie 10
Enthusiast in Training 50
Near-Enthusiast 100
Enthusiast 250
Seasoned Member 500
Veteran Member 1000
Guru in Training 2500
Guru 5000

There will be more "special ranks" in the future. Stuff like member of the month etc. I really have no idea right now and will edit the post that the rank image links to whenever this is finally decided.

There also might be a different post, topic, and user rating feature in the future or maybe a feature that allows members to give points to each other that can be cashed in for a prize of some sort. Those ideas are just ideas for now and I'll get lots of member input before I implement them. I don't want to see the negative aspect of ratings rear its ugly head here with the malicious downrating and all so that is a feature that will be thought about very carefully before we even think about implementing it. We won't even consider other forms of ratings if it opens a window to trolls so I'm still thinking about a way to have a perfect ratings system.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 04:36 pm
Craven- Puhleez, no

"valuable/not valuable", or any kind of negative rankings. That was the ruination of Abuzz.

Were you there before the "change". Before they screwed up and modified their software, a person could "applaud" a post, and the #s of applauses were noted for each person. I'm not even sure that I like that. I think that activity on a thread is accolades enough Exclamation

P.S. I LOVE your emoticons. (In my heart of hearts, I really am a kid!)

Very Happy Smile Surprised Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2002 04:49 pm
I joined abuzz after the vehemently hated changeover. But I agree about the bad side of negative ratings.

I'll start a feedback thread all about the ratings after I post this.

As to the emoticons and images here I didn't make any of them (I can do almost everything in webdesign except the very important graphics side of it, I got all the images for free from opensource graphic artists (even most of the code for the forum comes from open source help), they are so nice that they don't even require credits for the templates and such that much of this is based on but I'll add the credits as soon as I can). Some of the images here were even done just for me!

We can also add more smileys anytime. One day I'll post a bunch of smileys and everyone can decide which we will add but that's gonna wait too (I'm in a huge hurry to get this site open before I go offline).
0 Replies