What does "internally and externally contested"mean?

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 07:16 am

Context:

The study of international relations takes a wide range of theoretical approaches. Some emerge from within the discipline itself; others have been imported, in whole or in part, from disciplines such as economics or sociology. Indeed, few social scientific theories have not been applied to the study of relations amongst nations. Many theories of international relations are internally and externally contested, and few scholars believe only in one or another. In spite of this diversity, several major schools of thought are discernable, differentiated principally by the variables they emphasize—eg military power, material interests, or ideological beliefs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 07:32 am
@oristarA,
Internally contested means that these foreign policies are being debated and disputed by individuals or governmental organizations and NGO's from the same country. Externally contested means that individuals, different governmental and NGO from different countries are holding this debate between each other.
oristarA

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:11 am
@tsarstepan,
Very cool.
Thank you.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:29 am
I don't think I could improve on that, so I won't try. Smile
0 Replies