Here's a letter I wrote to my school's principal about how bullying should be dealt with.

br0nah

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 11:37 pm
As a Class of 2013 senior, I have come to know that many schools including those of Fresno Unified School District have zero-tolerance policies for bullying. The measurement of the worth of such policies should begin with evaluating whether or not they are enforced, with adjustments then being made as needed. Even just in the two high schools I have attended, there are students who use slurs based on other students’ race, gender, sexual orientation or mental or physical ability, and when called into the office for discipline, they are let off with a warning not to do so again, sometimes even without their parents being notified. I am calling for both immediate and harsh discipline of these bullies, because failure to immediately remove intentionally harmful students from the learning environment goes against the district-wide policy of zero tolerance, or alternatively, a more honest retooling of the policy’s guidelines to outline what the schools actually intend to do about bullying.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,685 • Replies: 3
No top replies

nothingtodo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 12:52 am
@br0nah,
I think that the notifications are only for extreme repeat offenders, slight after school detentions should work on the others if anything will, that quickly.
Some parents are similar and that is where it is from, so notification might work for you, but not on all them.

No kid wants to wait in school at closing time.
Unless they are engaged in something very enjoyable to them.
I do see your point though, I hope you raise some concern, kids these days do get petty and do copy it if it is happening all the time.

If they put you in the 'remedial' room, it is quite the slander in return, if they are really very horrible.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:00 am
Everyone deserves a warning. Teenagers are impulsive by nature, so remarks can come easily. The important thing is to watch for repeated behavior.

You don't say anything about what to do with bullies. Research says that they often come from abusive homes or are being bullied themselves. They bring this behavior to school. What should be done with them to change the behavior?

Just curious: why did you write this letter to the principal? Did you have to because you bullied?
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 09:06 am
@br0nah,
They never leave the quiet kids alone do they?

Monkeys!
0 Replies