The Amish Mafia Bullshit on the DC channel.

BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 07:04 pm
Having been born in PA and having been around the Amish to a slight degree I find the nonsense that the DC channel is putting out concerning a group that by it very nature can and will not defend itself more then annoying.

I would be interested in Framerman comments also on this subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,288 • Replies: 22
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 07:30 pm
@BillRM,
People in the Amish part of the county are annoyed about how this show even made it to a channel thats supposed to be one of the original fact based channels. The AnaBaptist Study Center at Elizabethtown University is all pissed off about this fake show being presented as real stuff
The fower and gift shop that is filmed as "Lebanon Levi's" HQ is on Prince ST in the Arts district of Lancaster. Levi (whoever the hell that guy is supposed to be) has nothing to do with ownership. Hes just an actor as are all the others on the show. Even the "Amish" whose faces are blocked out arent really Amish. The show is ridiculous but people in Lancaster generally are just having fun with it.
A very popular sign on storefronts in the small towns of the county say'THIS BUILDING PROTECTED BY LEBANON LEVI"

Itll run its course and it wont be remembered . However, like That "boo boo" kid, some people cant tell reality from Bullshit.
thack45

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2013 08:40 pm
@farmerman,
Like that boo boo kid, some peoples' reality is bullshit
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 02:59 pm
Why in the hell is there a NSFW red warning on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if you work at the Discovery Channel but how otherwise would expressing a low opinion of a so call reality show and defending the culture of the Amish people a threat for anyone to be reading????!!!!!!?????
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 03:37 pm
@BillRM,
They did an article in the Lancaster New Era this week which "outted" the real names and jobs of the actors. Most of them have small time criminal records and have nothing whatsoever to do with the Amish. The Discovery Channel is lying through its teeth that they are filming "reality'
Its popularity merely shows how gullible people can be.
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 04:08 pm
@farmerman,
Yes the discovery channel and the History channel for that matter will run so call reality shows that is insulting to anyone intellect.

I love the moonshining show where you are suppose to believe anyone would be breaking serous Federal and states laws in front of video cameras that is shown to millions of people once a week or so.

Of course showing a peaceful people the Amish who is not in any position to defend themselves in a bad light is beyond the pale.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 05:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Even the "Amish" whose faces are blocked out arent really Amish. The show is ridiculous but people in Lancaster generally are just having fun with it.

I'm not surprised. The German I'm hearing on the show doesn't sound like the German I heard on a weekend in Ephrata, PA --- let alone the German I heard in Germany. But I figured maybe Mennonites speak a different German accent than the Amish.
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:08 pm
My lord I just got a reply as to why the powers to be consider this thread should be mark with the NSFW flag and it is due to the profanity in the title!!!!

I had hear the word bullshit used on public airwaves of the US and as far as I know it is not a profanity in any normal meaning of that word.. At worst it can be consider a vulgar slang.

See below.

Quote:
pro·fan·i·ty
prəˈfanətē,prō-/Submit
noun
blasphemous or obscene language.
"an outburst of profanity"

synonyms: oath, swear word, expletive, curse, obscenity, four-letter word, dirty word; blasphemy, swearing, foul language, bad language, cursing; informalcuss, cuss word; formalimprecation; archaicexecration
"he hissed a profanity"
a swear word; an oath.
plural noun: profanities
irreligious or irreverent behavior.
synonyms: sacrilege, blasphemy, irreligion, ungodliness, impiety, irreverence, disrespect More
Origin

mid 16th cent.: from late Latin profanitas, from Latin profanus ‘not sacred’ (see profane).
Translate profanity to
Use over time for: profanity

Quote:
bull·****
ˈbo͝olˌSHit/Submit
vulgar slang
noun
stupid or untrue talk or writing; nonsense.
verb
talk nonsense to (someone), typically to be misleading or deceptive

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:43 pm
@BillRM,
Done some more research and found that the word Bullshit can be used in news shows and such under the control of the FCC but the FCC is unhappy if it is use in an entertainment show and such.

Shaking my head over this silliness on this website and by the FCC.
farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 08:56 pm
@Thomas,
Mennonites and Amish have several different "styles" of the dialect. There are so many English words in there and some of the German is "softened", Almost like Swiss deutch. The Pa dutch have several different regional dialects. (Moravian Deitsch is different from the Deitsch spoken in Ephrata). Words for common farm animals I always found interesting. All over the Dutch country there are several words for something like "Turkey"
(powhan, truten, das Trun, and grossfinkel). So its often just better to speak English unless you really feel lucky. Many of the Amish, don't even understand "HochDeitsch" and they all swear in English.

Those of us who have a padeitsch/deutsch language background can have fun in Amish stores when the local farmers start talking about the "English customers" and make fun of them to their faces.

A good phrase is kind of weird in that , in German it makes little sense but its a Pa Dutch one.
"Du kann nichst mir verkaufen'' which, as an idiomatic phrase means "you cant fool me"

When you go back to the Dutch country, you'll see that they sell these Lebanon Levi posters that make fun of the show but Im sure they're only an easy sell in Lancaster

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:01 pm
@BillRM,
Its really not censorship pwr se. Its actually an advisory to those using the site at work. Many computers are actually monitored by companies, not the govt necessarily .
Im moving on.

Ive added the word "****" into a thread line and , so far, it hasn't been tagged.
Thomas

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:21 pm
@farmerman,
Actually I was wondering: what is Lancaster like? Is it worth a three-hour drive for a look around and some sights of German-American culture? If not, would you consider it worth an extended lunch break on a roadtrip to Missouri?
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:53 pm
@farmerman,
No it is not censorship however there is nothing on this thread that anyone should get in trouble reading at work or anywhere else for that matter that I can see and the used on a slang word in the title with a slight emotional impact instead of the word nonsense is not enough to change that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 09:58 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Actually I was wondering: what is Lancaster like? Is it worth a three-hour drive for a look around and some sights of German-American culture?

I do not know how Farmerman feel but to me both the people and the scenes/food is worth a visit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 10:05 pm
@Thomas,
Its more worth a weekend cause theres a very fine "artists row", Lititz, a small town north of Lncster, was voted "coolest Town in the US". The countryside is a mixed visual with all sorts of photo ops.

If youre going to go through , on your way to Mo, you would have to take the turnpike and , besides Lancaster, visit Gettysburg , The Pa,"Burins" , Appalahia, Wrights "Fallingwater" and several others, (you can then go through Ohio on 70 and west.

PM me when you plan, Ill be happy to help and host a bit.
When you planning all this?

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2014 11:30 pm
@farmerman,
You know Farmerman I know I am getting near my old home town when I see
signs telling you to look out for falling rocks.........

Not anything like the flat land south florida happen to be.

Hell you come over a small rise at night an all at once the town of Pen Argyl come into view all light up on the side of the mountain.

I would love to visit PA once more.
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 05:37 am
@BillRM,
So youre from the Schnecksville Walnutport area? Its still pretty country up in the slate belt, they've found gold in some of the old slate mines

Kann sie deitsch?
BillRM

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:19 am
@farmerman,
The town of Pen Argyl is within a few tens of miles of Eastern PA in the Lehigh Valley region of the state and was not even on some road maps.

As a child my grandfather who did some work for a slate mining company in the town got me a ride to the bottom of one of their open pits in a tiny enclosed elevator hanging from a crane. I do not remember seeing any gold at the bottom of the pit however...... Surprised

Frighten the hell out of me at the time and I must prefer when my father would take me to a Lehigh and New England freight yard on a weekend and I would get to move an engine back and forth.

I wonder with all the safety rules we now have if the children of miners or railroad workers and so on still get on the QT to do such things.

farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:36 am
@BillRM,
Walnutport, PennArgyl, Schnecksville and Palmerton are all within a 10 mile circle of each other. They all are within the shadow of the Appalachin Trqil (did you ever hike that area over to the Water Gap? Its very hilly ground because the rocks are dense and resistant sandstones an shales.
Its still pretty much forested hills an sloped with farms except for Palmerton which looks like Dresden after the bombing. Its an old zinc mining area that's horribly disfigured, noting will grow there because of the zinc oxide
Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 09:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
When you planning all this?

I have a family of friends in St Louis. I traditionally spend Thanksgiving with them, so the road trip to St Louis is an annual thing for me. After six years of this tradition, I-70 is beginning to bore me, so I'm tempted to put in a few extra days and take Lincoln Highway, at least until Columbus or so. I noticed that Lancaster is on the way. And as you say, so is Valley Forge, Gettysburg, the Flight-93 memorial, and a lot of other landmarks in the history of this country.