What doew "spare" "collapse" and "133 for nine" mean here?

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 10:40 pm
The first bilateral series between India and Pakistan since November 2007 began Christmas Day with a Twenty20 match in the southern Indian city of Bangalore. Pakistan won the match with five wickets to spare after India's batting collapsed at 133 for nine." -- Bangalore India (AP)

I don't know the rules of cricket, so its terms here make it difficult for me to translate. Could anybody tell me the meaning of the last sentence in the quoted paragraph? Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,049 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 03:56 am
@JustinXujia,
I know nothing about cricket either, but i suggest to you that if you re-post this question with a title such as "Need help with understanding cricket," or anything which draws attention to the fact that this is a question about cricket, that you're likely to get an intelligent response more quickly.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:41 pm
@Setanta,
How typically broad minded of you, Set.

Had this been a question of baseball or, say, basketball, you wouldn't have offered such a silly response.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:46 pm
@JustinXujia,
I'll have a go.

Pakistan won the match with five wickets to spare after India's batting collapsed at 133 for nine."

Pakistan won the match with five wickets [innings/rounds/times at bat] to spare [left/remaining] after India's batting collapsed [failed badly] at 133 for nine.

The last part, Sad , score was Pakistan 133, India 9 ???????

Izzy or Spendius or Contrex or [____] should be along shortly.

oristarA

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:53 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I'll have a go.

Pakistan won the match with five wickets to spare after India's batting collapsed at 133 for nine."

Pakistan won the match with five wickets [innings/rounds/times at bat] to spare [left/remaining] after India's batting collapsed [failed badly] at 133 for nine.

The last part, Sad , score was Pakistan 133, India 9 ???????

Izzy or Spendius or Contrex or [____] should be along shortly.

You've failed nicely here, JTT.
Thanks for explaining "spare" and "collapse."
JustinXujia

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 12:36 am
@Setanta,
Thank you very much Setanta! I really don't know how to name the topic and you give me a good example.
0 Replies

JustinXujia

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 12:41 am
@JTT,
In my understanding, India's nine batsmen got only 133 points which was a collapse. It gave a very good chance to Pakistan, and the latter one only used five rounds to win the game. Does this make sense?
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:57 am
@JustinXujia,
Wickets are lost when the bowler is able to get through the batter's defense and hit it, basically. There are 11 batters for each side, but, as two people are always up to bat at the same time, a side is out when ten wickets have fallen.

I'm not sure what a 20/20 match is?

Five wickets to spare means that Pakistan had only lost five wickets when it overtook india's score.

A batting collapse happens when a side is out for a very low score.

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:38 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Wickets are lost when the bowler is able to get through the batter's defense and hit it, basically. There are 11 batters for each side, but, as two people are always up to bat at the same time, a side is out when ten wickets have fallen.

Five wickets to spare means that Pakistan had only lost five wickets when it overtook india's score.

A batting collapse happens when a side is out for a very low score.

Very different to JTT's opinion. I'm confusing.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/hg_impact/2009/08/croquet-wickets.png
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 03:57 am
@oristarA,
It's not very different. Why has it made you become confusing? Or do you mean confused?
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:27 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Is there a better way to fail than nicely, Ori? Smile
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:29 am
@JustinXujia,
Beats me, Justin. I obviously don't know the game of cricket.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 05:32 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Very different to JTT's opinion. I'm confusing.

Quote:
Why has it made you become confusing? Or do you mean confused?

I'll let the wabbit explain it to you, Ori.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:01 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

It's not very different. Why has it made you become confusing? Or do you mean confused?

Of course it was "confused," Mr.Rabbit. Embarrassed
oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:06 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Is there a better way to fail than nicely, Ori? Smile

We're all proud and unbending in honest failure. It is fancy. Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:06 am
@oristarA,
I'm a Ms Wabbit.

How have I confused you?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:18 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty20

Quote:
Twenty20, often abbreviated to T20, is a form of cricket originally introduced in England and Wales for professional inter-county competition by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), in 2003. A Twenty20 game involves two teams, each has a single innings, batting for a maximum of 20 overs.

A Twenty20 game is completed in about three hours, with each innings lasting around 75-90 minutes (with a 10–20-minute interval), thus bringing the game closer to the timespan of other popular team sports. It was introduced to create a lively form of the game which would be attractive to spectators at the ground and viewers on television and as such it has been very successful. The ECB did not intend that Twenty20 would replace other forms of cricket and these have continued alongside it.

<snip>

Quote:
General rules

The Laws of cricket apply to Twenty20, with some exceptions:

Each bowler may bowl a maximum of only one-fifth of the total overs per innings. For a full, uninterrupted match, this is 4 overs.

Should a bowler deliver a no ball by overstepping the popping crease, it costs 1 run and his next delivery is designated a "free-hit". In this circumstance the batsman can only be dismissed through a run out, hitting the ball twice, obstructing the field or handling the ball.

The following fielding restrictions apply:
No more than five fielders can be on the leg side at any time.
During the first six overs, a maximum of two fielders can be outside the 30-yard circle (this is known as the powerplay).
After the first six overs, a maximum of five fielders can be outside the fielding circle.
If the fielding team does not start to bowl their 20th over within 75 minutes, the batting side is credited an extra six runs for every whole over bowled after the 75-minute mark; the umpire may add more time to this if he believes the batting team is wasting time.
JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:25 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
General rules ...

I understand the language perfectly but I don't really understand, which should make ESLs happy in the sense that we are all ESLs at times throughout our lives.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:19 am
@oristarA,
Try this, Ori and let me know if it helps, or if it has any holes.

Affect on me use 'ed'. Affect away from me to others, use 'ing'.

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:21 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I'm a Ms Wabbit.

How have I confused you?

Yes Ms Wabbit.
The thing that confused me is linked to the rules of the game.
0 Replies