Girl, 14, found starving in home; parents charged

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:57 pm
Girl, 14, found starving in home; parents charged

Quote:
A father and stepmother were charged with withholding their 14-year-old daughter's food and water so drastically that she weighed only 48 pounds, authorities said.

Jon Pomeroy, 43, and his wife, Rebecca Long, 44, could face as much as four years in prison if convicted of criminal mistreatment, prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said. The couple were released on bail late Monday after the charges were brought.

The girl was removed from the family home near Carnation, about 20 miles east of Seattle, in August after a neighbor called child welfare authorities.

The veteran detective who investigated "said this is the worst case he's ever seen, especially for an ongoing pattern of abuse over several years," county sheriff's spokesman John Urquhart said.

According to prosecutors, Long confirmed to a deputy that she considered the girl a behavior problem and restricted her water as discipline. The woman said she had been home-schooling the girl and her 12-year-old brother for four years.

The girl, who is 4 feet 7 inches tall, told authorities that she was given primarily toast to eat and only about 6 ounces of water per day. She said her stepmother even watched when she brushed her teeth to make sure she didn't drink extra water.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,410 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:58 am
@Robert Gentel,
Offhand, the parents - perhaps just one of them - are mentally ill in some way, perhaps not re the book. I may be wrong and this is plain rampant ignorance.
I'd guess at least one parent and probably both had weird/horrible upbringing.

Clearly abuse, whatever the ultimate fault, but I wonder about the chain of circumstance if not causation, and if there is more beyond this suffering girl.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
I know it's way unfair to a LOT of folk, but this is one of the reasons I worry about home-schooling.

At least if kids get sighted occasionally by somebody with some responsibility there's a chance this sort of horror may get acted on earlier.
0 Replies