2 questions about search engines

Joeblow

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:25 pm
Does anyone know what you call that one or two sentence blurb you see on the results page after a google or yahoo search? It can be the first sentence from a website or a word or two buried in an article from the site, to give you a clue how well the result matches your query. That bit above the link.

More importantly, does anyone know who is responsible for that content? Would it be the search domain, or the website that the text purportedly came from? I'm probably not using the correct terms here. Not sure how to explain any better what I mean.

I came across a doozy today. The blurb on the results page is not the same as the website. Someone has added two words to an entry on the results page I'm certain should not be there. I thought I'd do a good deed, but don't know who to alert. I'm not interested in notifying the offended party (it's referring to an organization not affiliated with either the search or the linked site).

Who do I try to tell? t's not hyperbolism. I think its a hack.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,662 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Joeblow
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:34 pm
@Joeblow,
On Google, if available, that blurb is pulled straight off the html for the page, in the meta name description content field, e. g.

<meta name='description' content="Ask questions and share answers at able2know, a free ask an expert community." />
Joeblow

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:44 pm
@jespah,
Ah. The meta name description content. Perfect.

That's what you normally see, the stuff pulled right off the html for the page

(thank you!)

But the description content has been fiddled with.

Google got it right. But three others that I checked have a problem.

Joeblow

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 04:34 pm
@Joeblow,
I finally sent an email to the website yesterday evening. They responded right away saying the offending words were up for 48 minutes five days earlier and that unfortunately they have no influence on when google recaches their search results. And, they thanked me for noticing...or something like that.

Mostly it was me being clueless about how these things work. But (!) I know more now than when I first made my query.

Thank you Jespah.

0 Replies

NicoleMaria

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 05:33 am
@jespah,
I AGREE WITH YOU Jespah.
0 Replies