Where in Europe do you want to go?

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:31 pm
I am ashamed to say that I have a master's degree in Celtic Studies but have never been to Ireland, so Ireland is on my list.

So too is Greece and its sunny isles, especially at some time when my soul needs light.

I would love to visit the Adriatic littoral of Italy and walk the hills with shepherds.

France won my heart when my daughter was an au pair there and there are many sites I long to see. Chief among them is Uzes where Dhuodha, a woman who wrote a mirror for princes for her son William when he was captive because of the intrigues of the court of Charlemagne's successors.

And since I did not have the opportunity to visit my daughter when she did her junior year abroad in Spain, I want to see that nation, but then the Prado was always on my list.

And if I could find my Polish ancestor Malgoratza (sp?) who gave birth to my next ancestor in her forties, after marrying a man 15 years her junior, then I'll go to Poland. BTW, Maggie survived her young husband by 25 years! What a woman!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,068 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
Does it have to be europe. I have always wanted to visit Italia, spain (gallacia), greece (summer lovers), been to ireland but would love to do Great Brittain for a longer stay.
I have a desire to see India, Thailand and Africa. Sadly, too many places not enough cash....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:44 pm
Not necessarily. I am just thinking of Europe because at this time in my life, I want to go in depth. My former husband was so upset with my not wanting to go to China that he assigned a business trip to England, which I was supposed to accompany him on, to another man!

I'd live in France at least part of the year if I could: I was very comfortable there.
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:01 am
Estonia for me.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:16 am
I'd say that I want to go back home, Sweden, there's so much to see, but somehow the sun in Florida is calling me this year...

Spain, Andalucia!
Land's End, Great Britain!
Steiermark, Austria!

And there are some places in Germany that I'd like to see , as well!

BTW, Mile! Welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 10:19 am
Best time I had in 2003 was the five hours of absolutely free time walking around Budapest. Wish I had had more time to do the tourist stuff.

Greece, Italy... Would love to see the English countryside...
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 11:53 am
bigdice67 wrote:
BTW, Mile! Welcome to a2k!

Thanks. Cool
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:03 pm
Mile-o-phile,
Why Estonia?

SealPoet,
I love simply walking around in a place, stopping for refreshment when I need it, soaking up the atmosphere and maybe having casual conversations: it's the best way to know a place when you haven't a lot of time. I had a free day like that in Paris, NYC, San Francisco and Berlin. Just wonderful!

BigDice,
I had a couple of days in Sweden. One day in the capital and one in Goteberg. Found a wonderful antique market in Goteberg just by walking around. Since I knew nothing about the town, I picked a direction and walked and turned when and where I felt like it. When I turned a corner, a large brick building, perhaps from the 19th C, had a long banner running down the side, "Antikhalnera" or something very similiar. when you're an antique buff, lack of knowledge of Swedish doesn't stop you from translating Antigues' Market!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 01:19 pm
Germany,Austria,England,Croatia.

Very nice countries!
0 Replies

Mile-O-Phile

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 03:16 pm
Tallinn, Estonia's capital is an medieval city. I have an interest in medieval history. It's a former Soviet country. I'm developing an interest in Soviet countries. It's got a pub that plays Depeche Mode non-stop and I don't mind Depeche Mode.

Seriously though (apart from the medieval and Soviet parts which are true), I've no interest in most European countries where most Brits like myself would go to. So, for me, Greece, Spain, and Portugal are not of interest. I've been to Denmark, Holland, Germany, France, Belgium, and Poland.

Overall, though Estonia is my preferable destination, the other countries I want to visit are Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Russia, and Lithuania. Hopefully, when I can start saving up money and stop spending it all on booze, I'll be able to visit all these places for my own historical interest purposes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:12 pm
Italy, Italy, Italy.

and Italy.

If I had unlimited time and money, well, then. Ireland. France, lots of it, for quite a while. Spain. Portugal. Netherlands. Belgium. England. Germany. Sweden, Czech Republic, Hungary. Greece, Crete.

Oh, with trips to Italy in between.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:19 pm
If it's Europe and I wasn't going to visit my family - then it would have to be Italy.

I've been to most European countries - born in Ireland - so England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece (mainland and all the islands), Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Belgium.

If I get to choose a place other than Europe, I would like to travel to Australia.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 02:47 pm
Why not Eindhoven, the Netherlands ? :wink: As an European I would recommend Vienna: beautiful! So clean, nice, so civilised! Venice is - I know it's not very unique - also very beautiful, though busy. Also: the north of Italy (but don't buy the cheese there, it really smells). I would not go to England - sorry -, and also not the Netherlands eventually (although Amsterdam is always nice to see). Croatia is also very nice, and cheap (when you go to non-tourist areas). Last but not least: Bulgaria! Nice people, really nice nature.
0 Replies

Aimo-FIN

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:10 pm
Mile-o-Pile, I share your interest for the Soviet countries.. And I like Estonia. I just visited there on Friday (been there maybe 20 times or so..). Smile

I would like to go to Kazakhstan, Armenia, some Mediterranean island, Malaysia...
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:55 pm
PoM,,,i spent 2 weeks in ireland a few weeks ago and i'm headed right back next monday. it would take a good year to do it right i think.
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:18 pm
The beautiful, mysterious Scotland
Scotland is gorgeous, it is mysterious, it is unforgettable. Edinburgh is a sparkling jewel. There are literally hundreds of islands that are part of this dazzling country. Some may be put off by the weather (can be a bit nippy, rainy, foggy) but to me it just adds to its mystique. Steeped in history. Don't miss it.

Germany is wonderful-- I lived there a year (in Tubingen) and I found the people to be warm and welcoming. Beautiful sights.

Back to the original question, I'd go back to Scotland.

ailsa
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:50 pm
Mikey

Take me with you!

BD - I saw some sun in Sweden last year - not a lot - I grant you, not like home - but it was definitely sun. I have photos! (I was there for midsummer - I though it would increase my chances of seeing some sun!)

Have been to most countries in Europe, but wanna go again (and again!)
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:13 pm
margo,,how soon can you get here?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:24 pm
Last night I watched a travelogue on the Discovery Channel. Their roving reporter was travelling through Georgia and Armenia. It looked absolutely fascinating.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 03:27 am
Ceili wrote:
Sadly, too many places not enough cash....

I can relate. If the money thing isn't the biggest issue, then it's the time factor. *sigh*
0 Replies