good addictions

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:02 pm
kickycan wrote:
Okay, Bill, that's two book recommendations in about ten minutes. I'm starting to wonder if you have some affiliation with Amazon. Hmmm. . .
Actually, no. I've purchased hundreds more books from both Ebay and Half.com than I ever did at Amazon. Amazon just has the best search features. :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:18 pm
Ceili wrote:
Good lord, Bear. Why is it all my musician friends have been married 4 times? I kid you not, this is common. Why???

we're as loyal as our options and eventually if we age without getting rich the ladies move on. Laughing Just a theory. :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:19 pm
Ceili wrote:
Good lord, Bear. Why is it all my musician friends have been married 4 times? I kid you not, this is common. Why???

we're as loyal as our options and eventually if we age without getting rich the ladies move on. Laughing Just a theory. :wink:
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:34 pm
Depression feels like an addiction. Happiness doesn't. I don't think any addiction can be good, because it makes us vulnerable, and usually is not pleasurable. Or BECOMES unpleasurable. I realize that's very debatable.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:23 pm
We are all, it seems, addicted to pleasure - think of the rats who, when able to stimulate their pleasure centres directly by pressing a bar, died of lack of food and water rather than stop pressing. I saw footage of them the other day - never seen such frenzied rats...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:40 pm
No one is addicted to water, because once we are no longer thirsty we stop drinking. And this is at a natural point. An addiction would be if we couldn't stop ourselves from drinking, and our bodies thought we needed it even after it was sufficiently hydrated. Addictions are bad because they are defined by desiring things in excess, and excess ammounts of anything is poison.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:01 am
Well, Craven, I just pointed out that water was not necessarily good in large quantities - you claimed you were addicted to water and that some addictions keep you alive. But as SCoates pointed out an addiction is something that we cannot stop ourselves from drinking.

What about those situations SCoates where atheletes keep drinking water even though they are no longer thirsty and end up with hyponatraemic encephalopathy - I do not think it is necessarily an addiction to water, but obviously people do drink more than their body needs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
SCoates is welcome to his/her opinion about addiction, I happen to think differently.

To say that "addiction is something that we cannot stop ourselves from drinking" is simply false.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:16 am
I'm addicted to this website. I can't stop myself from drinking it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:17 am
Ima goan drink a ciggie in a bit.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
If kickycan is literally drinking this website, I think he may be more addicted to acid than A2K. I like to think of 'good addiction' as 'dedication', to positive behaviour rather than destructive behaviour. Just semantics, I guess, but the word 'addiction' always carried a negative meaning for me, and suggested a life-pattern that was harmful both to the self and the people around you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:36 am
SCoates wrote:
No one is addicted to water, because once we are no longer thirsty we stop drinking. And this is at a natural point. An addiction would be if we couldn't stop ourselves from drinking, and our bodies thought we needed it even after it was sufficiently hydrated. Addictions are bad because they are defined by desiring things in excess, and excess ammounts of anything is poison.

SCoates - there are people who are unable to stop drinking once they are no longer thirsty. This can be dangerous - to the point of causing death.

http://www.medhelp.org/perl6/mentalhealth/messages/30490a.html

http://health.discovery.com/diseasesandcond/encyclopedia/3240.html

Quote:
excessive thirst
By Adam Brochert, MD

Excessive thirst is an abnormally strong desire to drink liquids. It can related to an underlying medical condition.

<snip>

What are the long-term effects of the condition?

Long-term effects are related to the cause. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause damage to many bodily organs and even result in death. Cases due to dehydration can usually be treated successfully without long term effects. A person with psychogenic polydipsia can sometimes develop dangerous salt imbalances due to excessive water drinking.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:42 am
My brother is putting together a workout program for me now that I'm on the mend, and he warned me about consuming too much water, especially when working out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:48 am
Facts on Hyponatremia

Quote:
For years, heath care and fitness professionals have stressed the importance of fluid intake and replacement in preventing dehydration. Therefore, most health conscience individuals are educated about dehydration and cases of dehydration have decreased in recent years. Yet, in some cases, people may take dehydration prevention a bit too far and unintentionally drink too much water. Drinking an excessive surplus of water can lead to over-hydration or hyponatremia. Although hyponatremia is rare and seen primarily in serious endurance athletes, such as marathon runners, it can be dangerous and fitness enthusiasts should be aware of the condition.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 05:02 pm
Well, Ehbeth, in that case it would be an addiction. I agree with cavfancier that the word has, and was intended to have, negative connotations.

As for being addicted to love (that was addressed some time ago) I don't think it would be considered an addiction until or unless it were excessive. Noting the definition of excessive to also have negative connotations.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
...but as Oscar Wide put it, "Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:06 pm
Do you know how much water it would take to harm you?

I don't know exactly...but I know it's quite a bit.
I'm not sure, but I think it's related...when I was in college, I used to chug about 3/4 to 1 gallon of water at once, right before I went to the gym. Sometimes, I'd get a little lightheaded, and felt almost drunk for about 10 minutes after. I'm not that extreme anymore.

Back on topic: What has two thumbs, and is addicted to getting bj's?

Thiiiiis guy...
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:47 pm
So is there any specific reason why you mention you have two thumbs? Do they come in handy for the bj's or........ok.....this is sick.......nevermind.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 06:50 pm
...when it belongs to jane the first (but not the second) time around...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:17 pm
The joke is that he puts his two thumbs up and points toward himself with them. he he.
0 Replies