British Guantanamo prisoners.

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 03:46 am
Five have been flown back to Britain. Four are being questioned under the anti terrorism laws, but will be released soon if not charged. One was released without charge and has demanded an explanation from the American authorities for his "cruel degrading and inhuman" treatment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 621 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:21 am
It's tough to vote on your poll. If there is evidence of treason, they ought to be charged and brought to trial. If they are released without charge, there ought to be a statement as to why they were held in the first place.
If the reasons for the incarceration seem insufficient, they ought to be compensated, but that would be a difficult figure for me to conceive. What is my life's time worth and how does one compensate for the loss of dignity and esteem?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 04:37 am
There was going to be a fourth option Joe, which was

"They should go home and shut up"

but for some reason, the a2k system didn't allow it.

Personally I think it all depends when and why they went to Afghanistan. If they were there pre 911 (as at least one was) for "legitimate" reasons, then they should be released. If they went after 911 into a war zone, they have only themselves to blame.

If it can be proved they acted against British crown forces, then they deserve punishment. But the reality is that most of the evidence the Americans might have for this would be inadmissable here. So they will be released.

And in my view they should go home, shut up and ponder the salutory lesson. If however they are willing to work for British security, they do have an opportunity of making recompense.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 05:23 am
Well since my last post 40 minutes ago, I have been to my local clinic and had two minor operations, one on leg one on my arm.

Now stitched up and drinking cup of tea and posting on a2k.

Total cost...nothing.

Who said the National Health Service doesn't work?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:38 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
There was going to be a fourth option Joe, which was
"They should go home and shut up"
but for some reason, the a2k system didn't allow it.

This happens when you forget to click the 'Add option' button after entering your final poll option. It's something I & many people people here have done as well. This is just an FYI in case you suspect the able2know software is filtering poll options or that you've found a new poll posting bug.

okbye.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 11:24 am
Thanks Monger will try and remember that
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 07:56 pm
They have all been released. What an embarrassment to the USA.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:30 am
They have been released without any charge, it has been confirmed.

Of course, it is very likely that the men will file law suits now.
0 Replies