Question on an old riddle.

SCoates

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:59 pm
You know the one where on person lies and one tells the truth, and there is a dangerous and safe road? How do you determine the safe road with only one question, not knowing which on is honest and which a liar? Well everyone says that you say "If I were to ask you brother which road is safe, would he say yes." I have to disagree with everyone. And I'd like some input.

Asking one twin, "If I ask you if this is the safe road, will you say less" will produce the desired result. You don't need to bring up their twin in the question. Making the statement subjunctive leaves one more thing the twins will either lie about or tell the truth about, thereby reversing the liars answer, but retaining the honest mans response. It's like powers, with negetive and positive numbers -- it flips every other time around, so if I were to say "If I asked you what you would say if I asked if this were the safe road, would you say yes", you would again recieve inconclusive results. Throwing the phrase further subjunctive would solve it again, and so forth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 914 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2004 06:31 am
Quote SCoates,

"You ask, if I were to ask you if this path leads to town, would you say yes? Some peopler will argue that you need to ask if the brother would say yes, but it is unecessary. My answer works perfectly. It's being subjunctive which allows the question to work, not crossing brothers."

IMHO the perfect question/logic. Very Happy
0 Replies