[answered]Help uploading Avatars

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 07:42 pm
Does anyone know how i would go about uploading an avatar from my computer? I have a picture in mind, and a program that fishin' was nice enough to give me a link to helped me to resize it, but how can i get the size of the file down below 6 kb? Right now it is about 17 kb. And what type of file should i save it as?

Though i doubt it, am i able to upload moving pictures?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Charli

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 09:05 pm
RE UPLOADING A "MOVING PICTURE"
Kevin - Look at my final post on the following thread

KROC FOUNDATION . . .

Is this what you meant by "Moving Picture"? As for bringing a picture down to 6Kb, you need a photo software program on your hardware. What do you have?

Other folks with more knowledge will be along here shortly to help you, I'm sure. And welcome to A2K!!

I decided to put "the movie" here. (Edited.)

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:14 pm
Re: Help uploading Avatars
K e v i n wrote:
Does anyone know how i would go about uploading an avatar from my computer?
  • At the top of the forum pages there is a link to "Profile". Click it to edit your profile (where you will add an avatar).
  • At the bottom of the page you will find an option to "Upload Avatar from your machine" and you can type the file name in or click "browse" to locate and select the image from your computer.
  • Alternately you can have the forum fetch the file from a remote URL.
  • Now, at the bottom of the edit profile page you press submit.
That's from this page: Avatar Tutorial

K e v i n wrote:
I have a picture in mind, and a program that fishin' was nice enough to give me a link to helped me to resize it, but how can i get the size of the file down below 6 kb? Right now it is about 17 kb.

Again, from the Avatar tutorial thread:
    [b]To compress your images without having any software for image manipulation you can use these sites:[/b] Here are compressors for gifs and jpegs: http://www.savei.net/gifcruncher.html << for gifs (allows uploads) http://www.chami.com/jc/ << for jpegs (note that you'll have to put the image online first to use this, the gif cruncher can work with an image from your hard drive). Alternatively you can just say pretty please and someone (I'll do it if I have the time) will probably be able to do it for you.

K e v i n wrote:
And what type of file should i save it as?

Given a2k's avatar limits (90 by 100 pixels, with max 6KB filesize), in many if not most cases you will be able to retain more quality saving the image in gif rather than jpg format.

K e v i n wrote:
Though i doubt it, am i able to upload moving pictures?

Thanks

Animated gif images will work fine as an avatar, but the same restrictions will apply (max 90 by 100 pixels, 6KB). So, for example, the animated Charlie Chaplin in the previous post won't work because it has a filesize of about 15KB.
0 Replies