4

Conventional food vs. Organics

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:19 pm
Hey, I dunno if this is going to erupt into flames, but I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this aged debate.

I think there are some strong arguments for both sides of the coin.

I haven't quite decided on which side of the fence I've found myself on. I know that I prefer organics because I don't like more than necessary amounts of pesticides on my foods. And I also don't like additional hormones added to my food.

I also recognize the unsustainable nature of organic farming. It requires more space to farm, it yields less crops (also more susceptible to disease and drought).

Also, organic food is so damned expensive!

Anyone have other opinions on the matter?
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,345 • Replies: 3

amygarside

1  
Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:15 pm
@xperimentalchef,
I would want to really eat organic food but as you say it is quite expensive. Sometimes my budget would only be going to the food instead of other stuff. I do hope that there would be a way for farmers to be able to produce organic products but would be easy on the budget. As a nurse, I encourage my patient to healthy but they complain that the organic products are expensive.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 06:24 pm
@xperimentalchef,
I agree with you - see your points.

However, I'm worried by an article I read a while ago, that people who own land used with big ag help (not necessarily ownership) are constricted from letting organic, and let's add heritage, produce farmers lease land, and I would guess vice versa re wanting to.

I probably don't remember that correctly, but I'm interested. That people who want to raise organic and/or heritage produce can't get a foothold. I don't know that that's true, but that's what I remember reading in that article at the time.

Anyway, I'll listen in on comments here.

writethisway

0  
Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@xperimentalchef,
Organic food is what I consider real food that is untarnished by man. Once you start adding chemicals and additives to food, you create a science experiment ready to not go the way you want it.