Does anybody scream for yogurt?

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2021 10:47 pm
What's your bacterial fermented milk product of choice? Fruit on the bottom? Non-fat? Whole fat? Goats milk? Add your own proprietary granola? Greek style? Australian style? Icelandic style? Martian style?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
I generally just have some kind of fruit or vanilla yogurt with bran buds and walnuts. I've tasted high fat greek yogurt and thought it tasted like a dessert or other treat. It was good, rich, but not enough to scream for ; )
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:58 pm
Plain old Balkan style plain yogurt and add my own fruit/nuts etc

Unless we are talking Chapman's frozen yogurt of course -- then I want Blackjack (with dark chocolate chunks and cherries)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 04:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
It took me a fair bit to get used to greek yogurt. But I mostly get the nonfat regular style vanilla yogurt from either Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Most often mixed with two giant tablespoons of melted peanut butter.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 05:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
I occassionally, as in 2 twice a year, buy a pint of plain goat yogurt. I'd get more often if I wasn't concerned about carbs.

I really like it. I'll put a big spoonful in a salad along with the dressing to jazz it up, or on top of an avocado, like sour cream, or a small dish, which I share with roland.

I mostly get it for the probiotics. Most days of the week I eat saurkraut or kimchi as a side dish with breakfast.

A couple of years back I bought some sheep yogurt.
It was the most horrible thing I ever put in my mouth. It was like what I imagine the first cousin of Hákarl would taste like.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 06:18 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I mostly get it for the probiotics. Most days of the week I eat saurkraut or kimchi as a side dish with breakfast.

If I actually ate more advanced breakfasts than a large bowl of cereal? I'd love to make this a habit. Clever breakfast hack.
Mame

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 10:59 pm
Plain greek yogurt here. With berries on cereal or alone. Also tzatziki - yum! Useful in so many ways.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 08:51 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

chai2 wrote:

If I actually ate more advanced breakfasts than a large bowl of cereal? I'd love to make this a habit. Clever breakfast hack.

For when you do indulge in cooking...

Couple of hints. The probiotics die at 115 degrees F.
So don't had them to the cooking process. Once the egg mixture cools a bit, a little of either really enhances the taste.

Make sure the fermented cabbage is unpasturized.

Fun project. Make your own! I did this once and it was excellent, and much cheaper than buying it. However, for some reason, I was never able to duplicate the first success.
I do feel inspired now to try again.

This is the best instructions I found

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I pretty much eschew dairy products but occasionally make an exception for fermented ones. Several decades ago I used to buy this drink called "sour milk" at the world-renowned Katz's Deli. I don't know how it was made and I've never seen it since. It was thinner than yogurt and drinkable but you'd use a spoon to get some of the clabbered solids. It was great for hangovers.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2021 07:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I pretty much eschew dairy products but occasionally make an exception for fermented ones. Several decades ago I used to buy this drink called "sour milk" at the world-renowned Katz's Deli. I don't know how it was made and I've never seen it since. It was thinner than yogurt and drinkable but you'd use a spoon to get some of the clabbered solids. It was great for hangovers.

Was it something like buttermilk?

Re: fermented you have just reminded me how long it has been since I last had Kefir...not a big fan of buttermilk but like Kefir. (Now someone will tell me it is basically the same thing.)
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 09:25 am
I have been using Greek Yogurt for some time now. Recently I discovered Oui French yogurt. It is very thick, and they come in different flavors. I particularly
like the flavors with the fruit on the bottom like black cherry or blueberry. I find the stuff positively addictive.

https://youtu.be/E1ZJD4-vjUs
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2021 11:32 am
@Tai Chi,
Quote:

Was it something like buttermilk?

It was something like cultured buttermilk but not the same. I may have to take a trip to the Lower East Side and find out if it's even sold anymore.
0 Replies