will receiving social security check ruin eligibility for medicare?

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2012 09:12 pm
My grandma is in a skilled nursing facility and the nursing home receives her social security checks to pay for her stay. She went into the hospital for roughly a week a few months ago and Medicare paid for 100 days stay at the nursing home for therapy. She received her social security check for that time and my parents currently have it saved back for her. We buy her odds and ends that she asks for with the money she received. We recently got the yearly MO healthnet eligibility review form. It asks what money she has on hand. We're afraid that they would want to take her money and make her pay for her prescriptions etc. Will this ruin her eligibility for Medicare or will it stay the same?

Davea8

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 11:11 am
@lilredneck,
There is a formula that Medicare applies to determine when a person is eligible based on existing assets. A maximum of cash on hand is set and if a person has more than that amount in specified forms, the person has to "pay down" that excess before Medicare will pay benefits. This information is all available online. Try Googling to find it.
KevinRoy220

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 02:37 am
@Davea8,
Yes i also agree.After a person turns 65, he or she is eligible for Medicare if he or she has worked (or his or her spouse has worked) and has had taxes taken out of his or her paychecks for Medicare.Visit this site you will get all calculation you want.

http://www.medicare.gov/
roger

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2013 03:31 am
@KevinRoy220,
Thanks, KevinRoy. I wonder what Davea is thinking of. Medicare is not dependent on either assets or income. Income may affect Medicare B premiums, but has nothing to do with eligibility.

Of course, this is a very old question.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:06 am
@lilredneck,
lilredneck wrote:

... the nursing home receives her social security checks to pay for her stay. She went into the hospital for roughly a week a few months ago and Medicare paid for 100 days stay at the nursing home for therapy. She received her social security check for that time and my parents currently have it saved back for her.

Something appears to be off with this whole picture.

First of all ,if the nursing home receives her security checks, why would SS then send the checks to the patient's family during her "therapy" at the home?

What kind of a nursing home charges only about $14,000/year ( based on the SS/month received by patient )? Most homes today are charging in the order of $10,000/month in the East and elsewhere.

I'd like to see the amount of $ paid by medicare to the home during the rehab period versus the amt the home normally receives via the patient's SS check. Are they the same or more?

By the way, a nursing home is completely distinct from a "rest home".

0 Replies