Selling a used cell phone

chai2

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 07:46 am
I have in my possession a cell phone (not mine, service with the carrier deactivated) that I'm looking to sell on ebay.

Being technologically retarded, I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I have the phone, charger & battery. The phone/battery is in good shape.

Do I need to simply remove the SIM card to sell it?

I'm thinking the phone is locked to a particular carrier, i.e. AT&T, Verizon etc. so I'll state it is in the auction.

Simply put, what do I need to do, in simple terms, to make sure the phone is clear of all usage of the previous user, and so forth?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,801 • Replies: 2
No top replies

thack45

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:12 am
Perform a factory data reset, and remove SIM (I guess. Carrier should know for sure). Also bear in mind that any new phone is about 6 months away from 'obsolescence'
chai2

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:21 am
@thack45,
Hi thack
Thanks alot

I just found the following directions online from ehow, but it raised another question (see point 4)
Since Verizon doesn't use a SIM card, would it be correct to say if I did a factory reset, deleted all contacts, messages, photos, etc the phone would be good to go to be sold?

How would the new owner set up service if Verizon didn't use a SIM, and they were locked into using Verizon? I'm a dumb bunny when it comes to that sort of thing, but I'd like to know.

BTW, I've looked at what the phone is selling for on ebay, and I figure if someone is willing to buy it, it's their issue if they feel they want another phone in 6 months.

Instructions
Ensure that the phone is in working order with no missing pieces before you offer it for sale. Be honest when you sell used cell phones, as with anything else.

Delete all contacts, photos, and other personal information from your phone and/or save it all to the phones SIM card, if it has one, or back up any data to a PC or other source that you want to keep or transfer to a new phone.

Look in your instruction manual or online to find out how to do a factory reset on your phone; this ensures you didn't leave any private information on the phone and gives the new user the ability to set it up from factory defaults just like you did.

Remove your memory card or SIM card if applicable to your cell phone model. AT&T and T-Mobile use SIM cards, whereas Verizon does not. Keep your SIM card; the phone's buyer must use his old SIM card or get a new one from a dealer. The SIM cards always stay with the original owner for cell number, privacy and billing purposes.

0 Replies