Worlds Best Sloppy Joe

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 05:57 am
Who makes the best brand of sloppy joe sauce?

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:07 am
@njpchevorlet,
Nobody other than yourself. You need to take the components, merge them together in the skillet and behold the best ever sloppy joe sauce you ever had. You see, it depends on your preference on sweetness, spice, onions, and the list goes on. No canned or jarred sauce does it, even as a starter, they all need to be doctored.

After the sauce, the sloppy joe itself will vary according to the cut of meat used and ground up.

Too many variables to take into account at this early hour.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:31 am
@njpchevorlet,
Don't mean to sound ignorant, but what the hell is a sloppy joe? i assume it is an American thing.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 06:46 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:
Don't mean to sound ignorant, ...

Of course you do, otherwise you would have fired up Google before you posted.

Quote:
... but what the hell is a sloppy joe?

"A sloppy joe is an American dish of ground beef, onions, sweetened tomato sauce or ketchup and other seasonings, served on a hamburger bun."

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/4694/1345526130sloppyjoes.jpg

Quote:
i assume it is an American thing.

Yes, like most good things, it's American.
margo

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 03:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Yes, like most good things, it's American.

Puke!

Where I come from a sloppy joe is a sweatshirt - and having sauce on it would be rather untidy!
cherrie

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 12:07 am
@Ticomaya,
I don't see why asking a question here, rather than firing up Google, makes me ignorant. I didn't know what it was, so I asked the person who mentioned it. It's how we learn.
But thank you for your explanation.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 12:41 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:
I don't see why asking a question here, rather than firing up Google, makes me ignorant. I didn't know what it was, so I asked the person who mentioned it. It's how we learn.
But thank you for your explanation.

Yes, that is how we learn.

I'm not calling you names, here. We all know that 10 seconds of google research would have yielded the answer to your question. By asking your question, sans research, you did mean to sound ignorant.

Quote:
ig·no·rant (gnr-nt)
adj.
1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

You were ignorant -- no harm in that. And now you are Able 2 Know.

Cheers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 03:46 am
The Chinese bakeries around here make barbequed pork buns. They're your average bakery bun, but instead of being filled with whipped cream or jelly, they're filled with barbequed pork.

They're sloppy joes without the slop!
Ragman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 07:06 am
@Setanta,
Say it ain't so, Joe!
0 Replies

njpchevorlet

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 10:50 pm
@margo,
You dont eat sloppy joes? I feel so bad that you were sheltered as a child from such a delight.
Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 02:36 am
@njpchevorlet,
Margo lives in Oz-tralia. I suspect they forego many of the "delights" which are common in the United States.
margo

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 07:36 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Margo lives in Oz-tralia. I suspect they forego many of the "delights" which are common in the United States.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Sauce on sloppy joes here would indicate an incontinent eater!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:01 pm
@margo,
I kinda think it means the same thing in the U.S.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:19 pm
A beef mix of already ground round and some tomato sauce from a gallon tin served over a miserable bun.

I remember liking it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:35 pm
placemat (which is the food thread equivalent of "bookmark")
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 08:51 pm
I've spent a lot of time hanging out at a music club with a vegetarian/vegan restaurant associated with it. They used to have a militant Straight Edge cook who, for some arcane reason, looked at the ingredients in Hunt's Manwich, the commercially available prepared sloppy joe sauce, and realized it was in fact a vegetarian sauce, I'm sure not by conscious design on Hunt's part. So he took, I think it was smoked fried tofu and ground it up and mixed it with Manwich on a hamburger bun, and made vegetarian sloppy joes for all the staff and the regulars. Which sounds kind of uber-strange, but was actually pretty good, and I'm not vegetarian. It was the vegetarian version of junior high school lunchroom cafeteria comfort food.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 04:33 am
Sloppy Joes are so called because they are messy to eat. They are also especially delicious, and really fun to eat around vegans and other such sub-humans.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 04:36 am
Wikerpedia says that the original sloppy joe was made by a cook in Sioux City, Iowa, a cook named Joe. They don't give a date, nor do they have a citation for the claim.

Talk of using tofu or TVP to make a sloppy joe is just disgusting. Why not just get a bowl of barbeque sauce with onions and eat it with a spoon?
0 Replies