K-cup coffee makers

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 02:05 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Capresso Infinity Coffee Grinder (conical burr type). Once I discovered what a difference it made with this I was amazed. I've made coffee for people allegedly with 'no taste buds' and they haver raved about the difference.

Prior to that I used an electric grinder (either Kitchen Aid or Hamilton Beach for $20) and ground them to a medium-fine ground for 18-20 seconds. Once I switched to this grinder I was in coffee heaven. I don't need to buy expensive beans (I couldn't afford them anyhow).

I guess as long as you're using Arabica beans, it doesn't make too much of a difference. Personally, I have two favorites right now: an Ethiopian Sidamo from Blue Bottle which is just, heavenly. I can't even describe the richness of flavor. But it's probably 18/pound on a regular basis (I happen to get a bunch for free). My 'everyday' brew is a mocha java from a place here in Berkeley called the Beanery, goes for only 11/pound, tastes just fine.

I still - much to the disgust of the coffee snobs I know - put a little cream and sugar in my coffee. Brown sugar when I can! But I always take a big swig first, to know what the true taste of the drink is.

Cycloptichorn
Mame

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 04:07 pm
I got one of those Dolce Gusto coffee machines for Christmas last year, along with several boxes of a variety of coffees. They're the plastic pods, though, and I only use it when serving guests. I drink 2 cups in the morning, with the first one being the best, and then that's it.

I like a robust, strong coffee, and I don't drink it black. Maybe I should try. We have Kicking Horse coffee beans up here which are in much demand.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 07:02 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I like a robust, strong coffee, and I don't drink it black.
Good for you Mame I'm happy to meet another coffee lover with a mind of one's own

Strong, too. When my No. 2 Son visits he and his gal like it a little weaker, and that's allowed too

Quote:
I like a robust, strong coffee, and I don't drink it black. Maybe I should try.
You won't like it, to hell with it. I sweeten mine with dollop of honey and a big dash of dry milk. I'd use cream but that's more trouble

Quote:
We have Kicking Horse coffee beans up here which are in much demand.
I've asked my kids and close friends for a very special sort of Xmas gift, a bag of the coffee served by Denny's one or two decades ago as I might have mentioned above
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 10:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I just spotted your reply.

I agree that Arabica beans are the way to go; however, fresh whole beans differ so widely in variety and quality for awhile I searched for the holy grail of beanery.

For many years I meandered and switched often through various choices of whole beans bought locally in the stores. Now I get my cupa-joe through an incredible mail order outfit and I'm happy as a clam (more on this in a bit).

short bean search history
I'm not sure if in CA whether or not you get the nationally-known east-coast based Dunkin Donuts coffee ($8.50-$9). It used to be my every-day coffee 'cause it's crisply pleasant, steady quality and mild on acid for my belly. I changed because I got bored with it. It was a bit dull in comparison.

Then for awhile I tried whole bean Gevalia. Awesome a half-a-notch up from Dunkin and $7.50. I even blended the whole bean Dunkin and the Gevalia.

I then switched to very dependable mail order outfit from MN called coffee Fool. I tried them about 3 years ago and I've been hooked ever since. http://www.coffeefool.com/.

I buy qty of 5 bags at a time and save on the shipping as well as get a bulk discount. Free shipping on order over $48.

They have a full variety of every day as well as gourmet level. I think I end paying about $15/lb but I get exactly the flavor note that I want. BTW, I get 50% decafe and an acid-reduced bean and it agrees with my reflux problem so I won't switch back to another brew.

Yes, they do decafe whole beans (Organic Fair Trade coffee blend), something that isn't often available in local stores. Coffee Fool caters to all sorts of flavors as their roasts are in 4 styles American/Italian/Viennese/ French.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:42 am
@Ragman,
I'm totally spoiled out here - I don't like to drink coffee that was roasted more than a week or two before I grind it.

Cycloptichorn
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyc your honesty is unusually courageous in this acrimonious fulmination, a dolorous and perfunctory gallimaufry of contention
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:58 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Those are the pods I've been buying locally. The machine is about to give out though and I just can't see getting another Senseo since I don't think they're going to be around for long.

if you like it then get another one....the coffee will be available for many years to come. there are quite a few things now that I would not even consider buying in a brick and mortar store, so needing to do buy this on the internet is no big deal.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 09:41 am
@hawkeye10,
My wife bought a k cup machine for her old office but she recently changed jobs and brought it home. I am offended by how bad the coffee is, even when I put in higher quality beans. Coffee in a minute is pretty cool sometimes, but just as with food my tolorance for poor quality drinks is low. Interestingly enough I just yesterday had a conversation with my brother where we were both in agreement about America's high willingness to consume crap, so low quality coffee is not to my mind a deal breaker in the marketplace.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 09:54 am
The best coffee can be had from this...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYC8l2nAaYIjBqS_wYt2exrWRU7FLYBKkAPRsGH3E78pCjvHbRhQ

Anything else is just throwing money away.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 10:02 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The best coffee can be had from this...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYC8l2nAaYIjBqS_wYt2exrWRU7FLYBKkAPRsGH3E78pCjvHbRhQ

Anything else is just throwing money away.

Lol....or showing the world that you are not a coffee drinker but rather a caffiene junkie....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:01 pm
@boomerang,
Evidently Boom the K-cup makes only one cup at a time, presumably using a portion packaged for the purpose and thanks, it's not everyday……

However doesn't this make your helping cost four times what it would if brewed the usu way
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:10 pm
@dalehileman,
The French Press method does make the best tasting coffee, but its a learned craft. The grind, the amount of grounds, the water, the steeping. Its all a skill but highly worth it if you love that coffee flavor.

So many law firms have switched over to these K cup units and they keep these really stupid "flavored " ,mixes in their selection racks .

Might as well just boil the crap out of it.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 12:49 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The French Press method does make the best tasting coffee,
Thanks Man for that report but doesn't it cost as much or more as the tee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press

Quote:
but its a learned craft.
In what way exactly
Or did you mean the procedure is somehow difficult
It looks easy

Quote:
The grind, the amount of grounds,
Aren't these determined in advance or are you referring to a system where you grind your own, then encase before brewing

If my q's seem dumb it's only because the Wiki article is confusing and one simply can't spend all day Googling; so Man any clarification at all is appreciated

Quote:
the water,
Isn't any potable water just pretty much two parts hydrogen……..

Quote:
the steeping.
I'd presume this means temp, time; but isn't this a skill pretty quickly acquired

Quote:
Its all a skill but highly worth it if you love that coffee flavor.
Oh I do but at four times the cost………..

Quote:
So many law firms have switched over to these K cup units
Why law firms in particular and is this method preferred also in the courtroom

….and why preference for the tee over the French

Wouldn't the latter cost more and taste better; or are you q'ing the palate of the Legal Profession

…...or is it in their haste they simply can't spend the time lest in the meantime a jury be swayed by the defense

Quote:
and they keep these really stupid "flavored " mixes in their selection racks .

Rack▸ verb: obtain by coercion or intimidation

By "they" I suppose you mean the lawyers but upon what grounds are they considered stupid

Forgive pun

Quote:
Might as well just boil the crap out of it.
I presume you mean that on account of overwhelming"flavors" little difference is noted regardless brewing skill but that somehow longer brewing might restore to some extent the coffee flavor

But thanks again Man for that report, it's not everyday…….
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 02:57 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, a french press is a dual hitter for coffee and tea infusion.

ITS A LEARNED CRAFT because the water, amt of grounds, the steeping time, water temp, all add something to the outcome. Weve had this one press that makes two cups for she and me. We have a special "Black and Tan" grind which we have done slightly fine of medium (It steeps better and you doint need a filter in the french press, otherwise if its too fine, you get a batch of grounds in the cup

The water is one of the most overlooked inputs. If you have chlorinated city water, you have to leave it sit a few minutes to degass all the chlorine or youll have that taste of chlorox . We have a well and Ive had a charcoal and Magnesium limestone filters. The water is outstanding and it imparts that to any drinks you make (tea,coffee, soup, single malt {oh I wish I could still drink})

LAW firms have switched over because I notice the firms. I do lots of work with law firms who represent my clients and who handle insurance claims for mines I desl with. I dont know what other types of firms do for coffee, lawyers are usually high maintenance and always choose more hoity toidy gizmos for their staffers
maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 05:01 pm
@farmerman,
The best part of the French press is that it leaves the flavorful oils intact. There is no way that makes better tasting coffee. I use two scoops of a coarse grind (I do like it a bit strong) and let it sit for a tad over three minutes.

Spending hundreds of dollars for a machine that washes away much of the flavor doesn't make sense.

Of course investing in a good quality grinder is worth every penny.

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 03:53 am
@maxdancona,
total agreement. The french press is the all time fav for extracting just the right coffee flavor.We use a bit less and I like mine with a bit of sugar wheras she -who- must- be- obeyed likes hers black
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 08:27 am
@farmerman,
Thanks Man, Max, I shall have to look into it
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 09:11 am
@maxdancona,
... And if I was to go the French press route, It would get one of those conical(?) burr-grinder for beans.
0 Replies