Is it okay to break rules?

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:16 pm
I want to know what others think. Can a rule be broken and is it good or bad.When is breaking a rule okay and when it is not okay?

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:18 pm
@trying2learn,
Totally depends.

Jaywalking, usually fine.

Killing someone, usually not.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:35 pm
@trying2learn,
I'm a firm believer in natural consequences. I explained it to my girls this way -- If you break my rules you'll deal with me; if you break the school's rules you'll deal with the schools; if you break the law you'll deal with the courts. If you know the rules and know the consequences of breaking them then make your own decisions - just be prepared to face the consequences.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:12 pm
@trying2learn,
I try to live my life by a set of principles. If the rules are in line with my principles, then I follow them. When there are rules that contradict my principles I break them. Anything in between I weigh the importance of the rule and the benefit of breaking it.

Rules, in and of themselves, aren't very important.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:13 pm
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:
I want to know what others think. Can a rule be broken and is it good or bad.When is breaking a rule okay and when it is not okay?

Sure, all rules can be broken. Other things being equal, it's usually a bad thing. But, first, "usually" is not "always". Some rules are stupid and shouldn't have been there in the first place. (Consider the rule that said: "Rosa Parks, this is a segregated bus, and you can't sit on this seat.") And second, other things need not be equal. "Don't lie" is usually a good rule, but sometimes lying is the lesser evil than the alternative. (Like when somebody asks you: "Do these pants make me look fat?")
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:16 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Like when somebody asks you: "Do these pants make me look fat?"

If someone said a pair of pants made me look fat it would be a lie. The truth is that I look fat without pants.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:25 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
"Don't lie" is usually a good rule, but sometimes lying is the lesser evil than the alternative. (Like when somebody asks you: "Do these pants make me look fat?")
Sometimes people have to lie so others aren't hurt.
Enzo

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:33 pm
Most rules are just incongruous admixtures of statements tagged with residual rewards and punishments in hopes to condition and gentrify societies. I remember being told when I was very young that most rules were in place to keep us safe. As I got older, I learned that the rules that don't keep us safe are probably the ones you can afford to bend a little.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:00 pm
@trying2learn,
Exactly.
trying2learn

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:05 pm
@Thomas,
I just hope some people on this site understand.
Mame

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:46 am
@trying2learn,
Understand what?

And why are you asking this question?
George

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 10:02 am
@Mame,
It may be time for "the talk".
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:06 am
@Mame,
The reason that I broke some rules. I never meant any harm.
Looking4Truth

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 01:24 pm
@trying2learn,
I believe in 1 rule and 1 rule only. Do to others as you would want them to do to you. If that was the only rule that was never broken, then nobody would be guilty.
0 Replies