Facebook ads and why they're having a difficult time making ad money....

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:26 pm
Facebook in the recent weeks have been giving me ads for Sharia law based mortgaging. I've also gotten evangelical dating ads.

I keep asking them to hide these ads every time they pop up. I mark them from uninteresting to against my views to offensive. You'd think the Facebook ad bot would learn a little from these interactions.

It's possible that the ad bot is poorly associating the occasional middle east NPR or CSMonitor story I repost/share on my timeline but since I've been marking these ads when I see them shouldn't they never come up again?

Anywho.... My point is that if Facebook can't properly target its audience with relevant ads then how can they get the most from their ad revenue? Thusly become the profitable powerhouse internet community that many investors predicted it to be...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,491 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm marking 'em all "offensive."

At first that caused them to swing wildly from pro-liberal to pro-conservative stuff. They seem to have abated somewhat over time though.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
the problem for facebook is that the experience detracting ads are just one more good reason to hate facebook, and to abandon it like we did myspace when something else opens up.

here is a guy who says that yelp has the same ad problem, something that I have been noticing more often lately.

Quote:
This points to two problems: a poor algorithm on Yelp’s part and the fragmented nature of the local advertising market. There just aren’t that many people searching on Yelp for services in each market. And, Yelp has committed to a number of impressions each month, so they deliver them — even when they make no sense and drive no value for the advertiser.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/14/yelp-ads-leave-bad-impressions-for-small-businesses/#s4GHepKjFgE2eu5b.99

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/14/yelp-ads-leave-bad-impressions-for-small-businesses/
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 01:46 pm
i never notice them, i check my timeline (is there a way to make most recent the default instead of top stories, i'm quite capable of scrolling through my timeline and deciding the top stories for myself) and move on
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 01:59 pm
@djjd62,
ok just glanced at them, one was from Canadian Tire, asking if i wanted to take the smart tire challenge

is this something like "are you smarter than a tire"?

'cause i'm not sure i wanna know
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 03:22 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i never notice them...

I notice them less then 1 out of 4 or 5 Facebook visits. But when I do notice them, I do take offense to those nonsense/irrelevant ads. I do in fact "like" and follow movie ads in which I find are for movies I want to see. So, I'm not adverse to Facebook ads if they make sense.
0 Replies