The Longest Word using Roman Numerals only?

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
Using the following Roman Numerals:

C, D, I, L, M, V, and X

...what is the longest word that you can make?

You can use each Numeral as many times as you like.

Example: M I L L
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 14,507 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:19 pm
A cryptology book I read as a kid said it was these words (the cryptology exercise was to find phrases to write in Roman Numerals): CIMICID, CIMICIC. But I've long doubted the book.

When U is permitted (because it looks like V) there are many many more.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:55 pm
XXXXX - - - <Never ending line of X's> - - - XXXXXM.

Theoretically, no one would ever have the opportunity to pronounce the word (number), as it constantly changes. However, we would all know that the pronunciation would eventually be forthcoming.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:45 am
CDK:

CIMICID and CIMICIC are two of the longest examples known - congratulations! but there is a longer word. Smile
0 Replies

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:49 am
If you'd like to add the letter U to the mix, then let's see if we can achieve the following:

1. As many examples as possible with C, D, I, L, M, V, X in it.
2. As many examples as possible with C, D, I, L, M, V, X and U in it

Please keep the word examples to 4-letter words and above.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 07:34 am
Interesting question, Biblio. The first things that came to mind for me were CIVIC, CIVIL, MIMIC & VIVID, but I think I've finally aced the question...Isn't DIVIDIVI a type of endemic South-American tree?

-- I know this one's not 4 letters, but the only word I can think of right now that's a valid Roman numeral is MIX (scoring in at 1009). Anyone got any more?

Keep all the word trivia coming, Bib. Cheers.
http://assaultweb.net/ubb/emoticons/009.gif
0 Replies

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:04 pm
Monger:

First class! You got DIVIDIVI Very Happy

Now I wonder which website you found that in? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
A few 6-letter examples are:

IMIDIC
CIXIID
ILICIC
0 Replies

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:24 pm
My linguistic friend, Susan Thorpe, from the Oxford English dictionary, recently discovered the following Roman Numeral example:

ARMADILLIDIIDAE (commonly known as the "pill bug" and a member of the arthropod family)

...has the longest uninterrupted string of Roman numeral letters in a word (the 9-letter sequence is underlined).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
Bib,

Google only lists one page on the internet that mentions that word in reference to it's relevance to this trivia tid bit. It's easy to find in a reverse lookup but not that easy to find to answer your question.

That assumption is insulting (being based on the premise that your trivia is beyond the intellect of the asked) and all the trivia asked on these boards is certainly not of that caliber (over the heads of all the forum members).
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:20 pm
It is clearly
CIVIC, because it stretches from C to C.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:56 am
Bib, I wasn't completely sure if you'd accept dividivi at first since I'd only ever seen it written with a hyphen (divi-divi), but since you said there was only one word longer than Craven's two I figured that was it. (I saw it listed both ways on dictionary.com though.)

On another note, here's one more valid Roman numeral word for anyone who's interested (getting even shorter this time)... LI (a Chinese measure of distance or copper coin). Also the name LIV (as in Tyler). Very Happy
0 Replies

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 09:09 am
Monger: DIVIDIVI was a great find, and the hyphenation version would still be acceptable. Well done.

LI is a good example of the TRUE ROMAN NUMERAL WORD, as well as MIX of course.

DIV is another example, albeit, it is an abbreviation for "division" etc.

There is also DIX, which is a placename in the USA, as well as the French word for "ten" - but these examples of mine are really stretching the bounds of English words!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 06:53 am
quite diverting.
0 Replies